Sign in to follow this  
Jordan Peacock

Sky-Fi Cyberpunk Flier (Hot Wheels)

51708324_10215977993715209_3235352117652

This started with me shopping for some "miniatures" to use with Gaslands -- or, that is, some Hot Wheels cars, ostensibly in "1:64" scale, and often cited as being around 20mm scale.  The thing is, scale is awfully squishy when it comes to toys, and especially for the Matchbox/Hot Wheels world of toy cars, when you have buses, vans, construction vehicles, semi rigs, airplanes, helicopters, sports cars, VW bugs, motorcycles, carts, etc., essentially the SAME SIZE.  I've sometimes used Hot Wheels motorcycles for use with Chronoscope figures (roughly 32mm scale) because of that "scale-squish" -- and whether or not they're truly the right scale, they "look okay."  My hope upon seeing this vehicle was that I'd be in the same boat for using this as some sort of personal high-tech flying conveyance for a cyberpunk campaign.

Well, my first mistake was that I didn't scrutinize the interior nearly well enough: it's not a one-seater, but rather a two-seater.  (In my defense, it was kind of hard to make out the details with all that weird chrome going on, while the toy was still in the blister package.)  The other was that I probably should have actually brought a mini with me (or some sort of measurement proxy) before supposing that this would really be big enough for 32mm.  Next to a Gaslands car, this thing looks "too big," but the SEATS inside look closer to 20mm.

51600619_10215977993795211_7740919278131

The top of the toy is die-cast, while the rest is plastic.  (Why just the one part is die-cast metal, instead of just EVERYTHING being plastic, I don't know, really.)  Some of the newer Hot Wheels can be disassembled fairly easily if the part that holds everything together happens to be plastic -- since that means I can drill out the "rivet" (not sure what to call it) on bottom easily.  The metal takes a bit more work, but once done, the whole thing comes apart.  (Why would I want to do this?  Well, I want to base-coat everything, but I don't want to paint over that clear windshield.  Also, it's a lot easier to paint the interior this way.)

51871606_10215977994035217_6010390857658

I happened to be working on Reaper Bones #80054 "Starship Terminal" at the same time, which I was painting up in a scheme of grey (with darker grey details, white highlights, and "glowing" blue accents), and the similarity of the blue with the cockpit made me consider doing up the Sky-Fi vehicle in the same scheme.

52057096_10215977994195221_4058460386360

After reassembling, I did some more touch-up work and highlights.  (Ditto for the Starship Terminal.)  I like the look.  I just wish I could magically enlarge the copter a bit so it might look like Sarah Blitzer could actually fit in the seat.  (The regular IMEF troopers would have an even worse time of it, I figure.)

51612575_10215977994355225_7643206792167

Just another view of the Sky-Fi that shows the scale disparity even more clearly.  :/  Eh.  Maybe I could get away with sticking it on the edge of a cyberpunk tabletop scene, and as long as nobody gets too close to it, maybe the players won't notice the scale issue.  (I mean, several of my buildings and whatnot on the table have some pretty "squishy" scales or else I couldn't hope to put everything on the table.)

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Perhaps rigging the brain from the brain in a jar in the cockpit in such a way as to make it a a "Brain Drone" of some type?

I LOVE that idea!  I actually have a brain-in-a-jar on my shelf o' shame.  Hmmmmmm.

• Like 4

Well now I'm going to have to pick a couple of these up to convert and paint up as unmanned security drones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Well now I'm going to have to pick a couple of these up to convert and paint up as unmanned security drones. 

I just wish I could still find them at Walmart.  They're from the 2017 series of Hot Wheels, near as I can tell.  I think the one I found (I looked for others, in vain) was just a chance older model that was somehow mixed in with the more recent ones.  Froggy the Great managed to work one into one of his Gaslands motorized monstrosities.  :)  The die cast part by itself would make a great unmanned drone piece (one that might work with 32mm), if only I sawed off the tall vertical shaft that is attached to it and which runs through the whole of the piece from top to bottom.  (It's the part I have to Dremel-grind at on the bottom in order to disassemble the whole thing.)  I love the idea of the flying brain-drone, for a wilder sort of "late night show B-movie" sort of sci-fi setting, but I could also envision maybe just removing the cockpit insert area (some cutting would be required) and turning it into a one-seater that might accommodate some of my older-school 25mm Ral Partha Shadowrun minis.  (Okay, even back then, they were pushing into the 28mm range, but were still noticeably smaller than today's Chronoscope minis, which I would classify as more in the range of 32mm or even pushing 34mm.)

Hmm.  Actually, I should put this thing next to some of my old "Doom: the Board Game" minis.  Those were what I once upon a time would have qualified as "true" 25mm.  (As in "25mm represents 6 feet."  Pretty close to 1:72.)  As it so happens, the infamous "Bag o' Zombies" (Twilight Creations) is also extreme 25mm: that is, right around 25mm from the bottom of the zombie's feet to the top of the zombie's head, so maybe I should put them next to the copter as well, and perhaps I'm on to a suitable vehicle for some sort of cyberpunk demonzombiepocalyptic setting.  ;)

(On a scale tangent, I still can't figure out why Hot Wheels are deemed both "1:64" and "20mm scale," when "1:72" is deemed "25mm scale."  I can only assume that these do NOT represent the same set of criteria being used.  And, yeah, I know, scale is a messy issue when miniatures are concerned.  ;)  Even more so with TOYS.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jordan Peacock said:

I just wish I could still find them at Walmart.  They're from the 2017 series of Hot Wheels, near as I can tell.  

I think there were some at my local Dollar General a few weeks back when I was looking for something else. I'll have to go back and see if they're still there (if they even were to begin with). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I think there were some at my local Dollar General a few weeks back when I was looking for something else. I'll have to go back and see if they're still there (if they even were to begin with). 

Huh.  Good thought!  Maybe the dollar stores and "Big Lots" type stores have *last year's* collection of Hot Wheels, etc.  It's a shot in the dark, but I guess I could stop by a few and see if I get lucky.  (Most of my Hot-Wheels hunting -- for Gaslands -- has been elsewhere, because I know the baseline cost for a Hot Wheels car is $1 or less.  The best deal I got was 69 cents shortly before Christmas at Home Depot, which had a "special shipment" deal that was soon picked over -- I just happened to get some because I was in there getting some parts for home repairs.  A friend of mine found some 59-cent Hot Wheels at a local Target.  But a DOLLAR store?  In no way do I expect to find anything CHEAPER than what I just mentioned THERE.  ;D  )

• Like 1