Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Paints - MSP Core Colors VS Reaper Bones Ultra Colors

I want to start buying paint within the next few weeks (I currently have none!) and I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the MSP Core Colors and Reaper Bones Ultra Colors.

Why two different types of paint? 

Am I correct that the Reaper Bones Ultra Colors are a newer line of paint?

Thanks!

The big difference is that the Bones colours have much more pigments in them, so you can usually get a good result with just one layer, while with Core colours you usually have to apply 2 or even 3 layers to get good coverage. 

There are advanges to the Core paints, though. They come in 'triads' whit a base colour, a shade and a highlight. And for shading and highlighting, the thinner paint works better. 

Of course, there's differences in the chemicals used, also, but mostly we don't have to worry about that. 

You may want to consider a happy compromise...   

Reaper's Learn To Paint Kits. 

They're even better than Kinder eggs; they contain not only paints, brushes, and minis, but detailed instructions, and comes in a spiffy case, too!   

• Like 3

Interesting, thanks Gadgetman!

I just saw a thread in this very sub forum about Bones Dungeon Dwellers Paint Colors. Are these yet another new line of paint, or are these just a set of new colors but still part of the MSP Core Colors?

I have to say, I think Reaper could so a bit better in organizing all the paint lines on the online store, and in explaining clearly what the various lines are ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I just saw a thread in this very sub forum about Bones Dungeon Dwellers Paint Colors. Are these yet another new line of paint, or are these just a set of new colors but still part of the MSP Core Colors?

I have to say, I think Reaper could so a bit better in organizing all the paint lines on the online store, and in explaining clearly what the various lines are ...

I believe these are the same as Bones paints, just marketed differently.  Their SKU range goes right in line (sequential even) with the Bones paint.  Also only available as a set currently.  They look and work the exact same as the Bones ones to me here on my palette.

As for paint lines, they pretty much have two of them now to me.  The MSP and the Bones line.  They cancelled the HD line recently.  I'm sure the new website will have better and clearer categories when it rolls out.  The new paint lines were added while they are in the middle of working on this, so I don't expect any changes on the current site to clarify things.  There are also the new Pathfinder paints they announced coming soon.  But I also think they are Bones like.  But with new colors and branded for Pathfinder / Paizo.\

Edit to say that the Dungeon Dwellers boxes do say "Bones Ultra Coverage" on them, so that seems to say they are exactly the same.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

They're even better than Kinder eggs; they contain not only paints, brushes, and minis, but detailed instructions, and comes in a spiffy case, too!   

I miss real kinder eggs. Not this oversized safety egg the U.S. makes them sell. 

Ditto! I've got a whole bag of toys and parts from the Kinder eggs I enjoyed in Canada before I moved to the US. I even have used some of them in conversions a few times! Also as a young adult, assembling Kinder egg toys after having enjoyed adult beverages was a fun game we used to play. ;-> I have never liked the chocolate, so the fact that that is available in the US is no consolation!

• Like 3