Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

Owlbear

1 hour ago, Pochi said:

When you put the three together, they make a crazy singing group!

Named "Hootie and the Blowfish"? :poke: Or some variation thereof?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great job on all three.  Great color scheme.  They are stunningly vibrant.  

I was going to give away all my Bones 4 owlbears, but you just convinced me to paint at least one.

Edit: I know the bones 4 mini will be different than any of these, but until I saw these, I was skeptical of the more-bear-less-owl version that is coming out.  I always liked the more-owl style from the original Bones set.

Edited by AutumnHare
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AutumnHare said:

Great job on all three.  Great color scheme.  They are stunningly vibrant.  

I was going to give away all my Bones 4 owlbears, but you just convinced me to paint at least one.

Edit: I know the bones 4 mini will be different than any of these, but until I saw these, I was skeptical of the more-bear-less-owl version that is coming out.  I always liked the more-owl style from the original Bones set.

You might find out you enjoy painting them! I spent the most time on the faces and bellies. A lot of the rest was dry brushing and washes. There are so many different types of owls! I will have a Hedwig owlbear for sure!

• Like 2

Magnificent as always--the eyes are gorgeous and the color transitions are perfect. 

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By boldfont
      I went canon with this. No airbrush. It’s a great sculpt. Really it’s too bad Reaper would have to make a knock off version because of the IP. I bet they’d make a great remorhaz. 

• By 3vil3lvis
      Since beholders destroy things that they look at ...it seemed fitting to adapt the title from Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley.

I happened upon 2 beholders at my local game shop. The first was painted with a generic beholder color scheme and the second as Xanathar and Sylgar.

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      In an effort to stave off "Dwarf Fatigue", figured I'd attempt something different alongside.

Wizkids Female Rogues. I've painted these before for some coworkers, and found the one on the right to be extremely frustrating do to how the cloak hung. After some lurking about on the Wzkids thread it dawned on me to use the same "hot water/cold water" technique as for Bones on them. After a resounding "D'oh!" I did so and got good results. They've been hit with some watered down Sepia Wash, and I'm pretty sure I've gotten most of the mold lines. The color scheme I have in mind is the one on the left will be a recreation of the one I gifted to Eleven Coworker, as the sculpt is basically a mini me version of her, and the one on the right will be done in the style of the Dark Brotherhood of Skyrim as her daggers have kind of a Daedric vibe to them.

Wizkids Female Barbarians. I haven't previously painted these and am currently undecided as to go with a series of browns/greys on them or if I should attempt to give a certain Stormcloak or Middenheimer vibe to them by adding blues in. 

• By dks
      I really like Julie Guthrie's rendition of the peryton, a monster (part deer, part eagle, all vicious) that casts the shadow of a human instead of a bird, and eats the hearts of its victims.
      Reaper released the peryton in metal (03702) and in Bones plastic (77392).

When I taught my "Fur, Feathers, and Scales" class at ReaperCon 2018, I used the Bones version of the peryton to demonstrate techniques for painting feathers, inspired by real-world birds. 
      And recently I decided to paint the whole thing, as I had intended to do all along.
      I ran a WIP thread about it -- read it here. [edited link 3/29/19]

This is the result:

(No, I didn't paint in a humanoid shadow under it.  I just think it wouldn't have been legible on this small base and rocky terrain.  Idea for a diorama, free for the taking: 1 or 2 perytons attacking adventurers on a plateau, with the humanoid shadows of the rest of the flock unseen but implied above.)

Anyway ... Enjoy!
      Derek
    • By Adrift
      Completed these in the past week or so. Wanted the Dire Wolf's fur to look unnatural; the quality of this particular Wizkids sculpt wasn't as good as I've experienced with the few others I've painted.

The Bones Black Owlbear was a pleasure to paint; mostly just washes and dry-brushing. I've noticed that oftentimes people paint the pupils on owlbears to be too large, much like an actual owl. I've found that this diminishes the 'ferocity and scariness' of the owlbear by making it look more surprised.

• Who's Online   51 Members, 2 Anonymous, 74 Guests (See full list)