Sign in to follow this  
Harrek

Artis Opus - Series M: Brush Set

So the new Artis Opus KS is live.  It can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artis-opus/artis-opus-series-m-brush-set

Be curious what people's opinions are on the "smaller" brushes they are doing here.  I've always been taught go for a brush with a larger belly and a good point over something like these.

Also how people like the previous ones to see if they were worth the price.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harrek said:

Be curious what people's opinions are on the "smaller" brushes they are doing here.  I've always been taught go for a brush with a larger belly and a good point over something like these.

I was just checking this out and was interested in them but the price is too high for me right now and the comparison picture made me realize I already have a similar brush, a Rosemary & Co Series 323 Spotter. I like using it for things that need shorter brush strokes like eyes and textures, plus I think it would be good for small freehand work. The point of mine is just as good as their Series 33, the regular rounds, and the smaller belly has not seemed to be an issue. Personally I would not use it for base coating or blending large areas but for small details, it is useful. 

• Like 3

Didn’t even look at the price. Those would be just about worthless at my altitude and climate. Paint would dry on them before I got it to the miniature.

• Like 2

"Miniature" brush heads are terrible IMO. They hold less moisture and paint so they dry out faster, are far easier to ruin by getting paint in the ferrule, and have much worse reach into tight places.

Only benefit I can see is stiffness, which isn't really needed on unless drybrushing, and crappy synthetic brushes are plenty stiff for such dirty work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like having stiffness in a brush for painting eyes and details like that. A mushy brush doesn't do well for that, I find. It is why I like my Raphael 8402 more than the 8404 for fine detail, and the 8404 for blending (mushy for blending, stiff for fine lines and points). Still, I want the brush to have enough material in it to not dry up, and smaller is easier to mess up the ferrule. Easy pass for me here. 

• Like 4

Easy pass as well for me.  Those seem like you would have to be doing deep cleanings of them a lot more often alongside all the previously mentioned bits regarding it not holding much moisture/paint and would run into drying issues...

That Samurai Stand is the most tempting thing here. I should search one of those out on Thingiverse...

6 minutes ago, Talae said:

That Samurai Stand is the most tempting thing here. I should search one of those out on Thingiverse...

There are many similar products out there.

Might the super tiny brushes be better if we worked with oil paints? There would still be issues with paint in the ferrule I'd think, but not with drying instantly.

10 hours ago, Harrek said:
10 hours ago, Talae said:

There are many similar products out there.

True. This just reminded me that don't have one currently. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gadgetman!
      About
          Girl Genius is an ongoing story featuring adventure, romance, and Mad Science! It follows the adventures of Agatha Heterodyne, the last of a notorious family in which the spark of mad science runs strong. We call it a "Gaslamp Fantasy," by which we mean that it takes place in an old-fashioned, Vernian world of airships, monsters, and wild inventions.
      Girl Genius is published as a webcomic and graphic novel series, and also as a series of prose novels. The graphic series is updated three times a week on our web site at girlgeniusonline.com. When we have enough pages, roughly once a year, we run a Kickstarter campaign and publish a collection.
      Queens and Pirates is Book Five of the Second Journey of Agatha Heterodyne–and the eighteenth book in the overall series. If you're new to the Girl Genius comics, The Second Journey is a great place to jump in!
      We are Phil and Kaja Foglio, creators of the ongoing adventure story Girl Genius. We are ready to make the print version of Girl Genius: Queens and Pirates, the latest in our self-published series of Hugo award-winning graphic novels. The book will be printed as a trade paperback, with a short run of special hardcover volumes that feature a lovely "puffy" padded cover.
      We used to offer pre-orders for upcoming books through our online store; which helped us pay for the up-front costs of printing the books. It also allowed us to get an idea of how many books we should be making in the first print run, especially of the limited-edition hardcover. Now we use Kickstarter, which really streamlines this process. We learn and get better at it every time we do a campaign. You can see information about all our previous campaigns on the Kickstarter Information page at girlgeniusonline.com.
      If this campaign funds, all our backers will be asked to fill out our Very Necessary Pledge Manager form from BackerKit. A link to the pledge manager will be sent to each backer in an email from us through BackerKit, and we'll let everyone know when it has gone out. The pledge manager is important, because it's the only way we get a physical address to use when we mail your rewards.
      The Book Cover! As ever, we like to start with a tiny little immediate reward. Here is a special icon–just for fun. We hope you enjoy it, and use it to spread the word. We are very bad at social media, so any help we can get is appreciated!
      The contents of the different reward levels are listed to the right. The stars of the show are, of course, the books. In addition, all backers getting a book will also receive a campaign-exclusive archival, acid free, self-adhesive 3"x4"bookplate, signed by authors Phil & Kaja Foglio.
      Now that we have funded and met some stretch goals, each signed bookplate now comes in the Envelope of Madness! What is the "Envelope of Madness?" It's the stack of flat extras we'll be shipping along with each pledge level that contains a book. At this time, it consists of:
      The signed bookplate One Queens and Pirates sticker One "Thank You!" art card featuring Bangladesh DuPree and Captain Hawkins   OTHER LEVELS AND REWARDS:
      PDFS: For those who either do not want a physical book or plan to get it from their favorite real-life book store (or library) later, yet still want to support the project, we have some lower-level rewards, starting with a simple "Tips Jar." All our backers, regardless of level, will receive access to our commemorative downloadable computer wallpaper, which we will reveal at the end of the campaign.
      TRAVEL STICKERS: At a slightly higher level, we have a new set of FOUR travel stickers! This year's set will feature attractions from around Londinium: The Hall of Privateers, The Royal Museum of Inconvenient Oddities, and the Glass City itself. I know we say in the sidebar that it's a three sticker set, but we've added an extra sticker, because we can't contain our enthusiasm for that pinnacle of Londinium tourism: Hydraulic Pump No. 74.
      Our 2019 Travel Stickers!   MEDALS: Next, we have this year's campaign-exclusive medal: this year it's for being a First Class Scallywag! It's a substantial metal pin-back affair, offered in a choice of silvery or brassy tones. We will be unveiling this year's medal design as the campaign rolls along.
      Below are examples of some of our medals from previous campaigns. As you can see, the finals wind up a lot more 3D than Phil's 2D drawings...
      PATCHES: Some levels also include our limited-edition Queens and Pirates patch. Here is the concept art:
      The campaign has funded! Hooray! Now, we're able to set things up so that we can offer add-ons. So, if you're after extra medals, books or patches, you'll be able to add those on after the campaign, when our BackerKit survey goes out.
      Now backer levels at and over the $12 level will have access to our post-campaign pledge management system! This is where you can add on all kinds of things, including extra campaign medals, patches and Envelopes of Madness. Additional shipping, if any becomes necessary, will be calculated in the pledge management system. (It has to do with weight and postal categories.)
      Nota bene: We will have the BackerKit store open for a while after the campaign, but the campaign exclusives: the medals, patches and Envelopes of Madness, may be slightly more expensive at that point. So if you think you'll want one of our exclusives later, back now!
      And now, onward to the stretch goals:
      Just what it says...everyone at and above the $10 level will now get a free download link to the PDF of the book at Drivethroughcomics where the rest of our Girl Genius titles are half off throughout the campaign.
      What is the ENVELOPE OF MADNESS? It's the stack of flat extras we'll be shipping along with each pledge level that contains a book. Now, the bookplate will be shipped inside the traditional ENVELOPE OF MADNESS, along with a Queens and Pirates sticker. Further stretch goals will add more to the envelope.
       Deluxe medals! At this level, each of our medals will come with an extra insert to make it even more magnificent! They’ll be part of the whole thing when it ships, but you can still easily take them apart and customize them with past medals and inserts.
      Finally, we also have a special downloadable wallpaper (in addition to the campaign exclusive wallpaper mentioned above.) This wallpaper is a freebie for all of you who have taken the time to come to our campaign page, whether or not you back the campaign. Thank you for visiting! There are five versions of the wallpaper, in the following sizes: 2560x1600, 1920x1080, 1600x1200, 1024x1024, 600x800. Or, you can download a zipped archive of all five.

'nuff said...
    • By mistergreenwood
      http://kck.st/2TAOleX

Seems nice. First KS has been fulfilled recently. 
    • By Zandoria
      PuzzleLock is 3d printable terrain for creating dimensional maps for your RPG games. The tiles connect together on the tabletop like a jigsaw puzzle! I have already created and tested PuzzleLock Caves and PuzzleLock Dungeons, now I am running a Kickstarter to raise funds to create additional playsets.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zandoria/puzzlelock-playsets
      We are 298% funded in our second week! I hope that you will check it out!

• By MDSW
      As I eagerly await the arrival of my Bones 4 order... A Kickstarter to put all your Reaper minis to use!!!

It all started with wanting a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl, but in an easy to play board game that had flexibility in exploration and was challenging. I had a multitude of minis, so did not need to spend extra money on the available board games that included all of those minis and pieces to the point of the game costing hundreds of dollars and bloated rules to where picking up a casual game with friends was nearly impossible. Why was there not a role-playing board game with easy to understand rules, super quick to set up and unlimited flexibility to make my own campaigns, use my own minis and even print the material, board, terrain and furniture as needed?
      Welcome to Cavern Quest Warriors – the RPG board game where you choose one of six characters with unique abilities on a quest in search of adventure and treasure. Choose a Warrior/Fighter, Barbarian/Berserker, Cleric/Monk, Rogue/Thief, Wizard/Magic-User or an Archer/Ranger. All games pieces are designed to be printed on either paper or simple card stock (e.g. 110 lb. index) – just print what you need along with the basic rules, special cards and campaign module that includes the floor plan, creature stat panel, individual room/floor tiles and use your own minis to embark on a quest with your friends. The Cavern Master will guide the play for maximum challenge and enjoyment for the characters along with movement and battle for all creatures, keeping it enjoyable for everyone. Each campaign module gives the Cavern Master complete instructions on how to guide the players through each room and what creatures and events they will encounter. While this concept is not entirely new, the method and delivery concept are. By providing all documents electronically, you save money by printing yourself - no need to spend hundreds of dollars to get what ends up being an enormous board game.

The basic rules are quick and easy to learn, yet always challenging and allow for character expansion in all abilities through experience gained. The magic system is unique to ensure a varied and changing set of magic skills as wizards progress. New players can jump in at any time and at any level, with our set skill system for characters – no need to start at the bottom!

KS pledges start at $12. Check out our Kickstarter live now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mdsw/cavern-quest-warriors

• By Chaoswolf
      Townspeople with a Warhammer Fantasy RPG feel to them:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kinggames/dunkeldorf-28mm-fantasy-rpg-townsfolk-miniatures?ref=discovery&term=dunkeldorf&fbclid=IwAR1oSTtbIK7ddIrJZH3vP7UnNyznFy67WShZO48Wn5ZnVoAWy6iSKxQ9LvQ

About
      Dunkeldorf Miniatures - 28mm Townsfolk Miniatures
      Welcome to Dunkeldorf! A dark and grim fantasy town filled with sinister characters, but also a few good-hearted ones too! Our kickstarter focuses on these characterful townsfolk that will fit right into any fantasy RPG or tabletop setting, either as heroes, player characters or NPCs!     
      Meet the Dunkeldorf Townsfolk
      Each of the Dunkeldorfians have their own background story along with detailed artwork. Below you can see artwork of the 12 townsfolk included in the full set of miniatures! 
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 149 Guests (See full list)