Hey all, I recently bought Ma'al drakar and I am wondering what you all do to help keep this massive beast together? Do you suggest copious amounts of glue? Green stuff? Pinning?

Any and all help is appreciated!

• Like 1

Welcome to the place. I haven't built that beast yet, so afraid I am not going to be able to help, but you will get plenty of good answers here.

• Like 1

I don't like things to fall apart, so if I have doubts that something is going to stay together, I tend to go all out. I do not have Ma'al, but if I did I would pin him with a thick wire (if a large paperclip seems too small I've used a wire coat hanger before on large pieces), and probably use a 5-minute epoxy like JB Kwik Weld. Some might consider it overkill, but I like things built to last. Using 5-minute epoxy can take awhile to assemble (you have to hold each joint one at a time while the epoxy sets for 5-8 minutes, it always seems to take longer than 5 minutes), but when combined with pins I haven't found it to be wasted effort.

I have had to pin Bones material even on substantially smaller figures before; the arm to the large earth elemental wouldn't stay on no matter how flush the joint was or the adhesive I used. One pin later and all was good.

I would pin him even if I were going to use superglue. And not copious amounts of superglue, less is better to avoid a brittle bond. Just apply it like you normally would, in a thin manner. And greenstuff any gaps once it has cured.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I don't like things to fall apart, so if I have doubts that something is going to stay together, I tend to go all out. I do not have Ma'al, but if I did I would pin him with a thick wire (if a large paperclip seems too small I've used a wire coat hanger before on large pieces), and probably use a 5-minute epoxy like JB Kwik Weld. Some might consider it overkill, but I like things built to last. Using 5-minute epoxy can take awhile to assemble (you have to hold each joint one at a time while the epoxy sets for 5-8 minutes, it always seems to take longer than 5 minutes), but when combined with pins I haven't found it to be wasted effort.

I have had to pin Bones material even on substantially smaller figures before; the arm to the large earth elemental wouldn't stay on no matter how flush the joint was or the adhesive I used. One pin later and all was good.

I would pin him even if I were going to use superglue. And not copious amounts of superglue, less is better to avoid a brittle bond. Just apply it like you normally would, in a thin manner. And greenstuff any gaps once it has cured.

I have two and haven't yet endeavored to assemble, but this is my plan.

• Like 3

Mine is held together with super glue, greenstuff for gap filling and Bondic to gapfill the wings. Bondic is a liquid plastic that cures with UV light. I highly recommend the Bondic for gapfilling on the wings as once you've attached them, it will be very difficult to get greenstuff down into the crevices between the wings and back spines. 

I did not do any pinning. However, mine is a display piece and will never see a gaming table. If I were going to game with it and/or thought that other people, who might not be as careful with it as they should be, might be handling it, I would definitely at least pin the wings and the feet to the base. 

Definitely keep in mind that this beastie is huge and will be very difficult to paint a lot of areas if you choose to assemble prior to painting. I recommend, for the most part, painting, then assembling, then gapfilling and then repairing painted areas as needed. I attached the necks, appendages and tail prior to painting and while I don't necessarily think that was a mistake, it did make maneuvering a little more difficult. Be aware that the larger pieces will be very prone to having paint rubbed off of them due to the weight of the piece. I always advocate basecoating Bones figures with Brown Liner for that reason, as it helps tremendously in fighting against paint rub off. Some people don't like the extra step of basecoating with Brown Liner and/or how dark it makes the figure. So other ways to avoid rubbing off paint are to wear gloves while handling the pieces, avoid setting painted pieces (especially spiky parts) directly on a surface (try setting them down on something not abrasive, like a soft blanket) and be mindful of not putting pieces on top of each other. Whether you paint first or assemble first, it may be a good idea to pick up a cheap turntable that you can set him on and spin around as needed. I got one for $1 at a dollar store.

I did two WIP threads for my Ma'al, the first when I initially painted him for the 7 day challenge: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76415-guindyloo-vs-maal-drakar-in-7-days/&page=1

And then a second one where I tore him apart, took care of the mold lines that I'd neglected during the challenge, repaired a lot and repainted most of him to enter at Reapercon (he won a Silver medal): http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77029-fixing-maal-drakar/&page=1

It's been a good year and a half since I painted him so my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but if I can help with anything else, please let me know.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I just used CA glue (super glue) to attach and green stuff (putty epoxy) to gap fill. Been over a year on no problems (yet). I second the suggestion to not fully assemble the model before painting. I assembled the lower legs and tail, and each head to the associate neck before painting, the rest after doing the bulk of the work. I picked up some cheap, tiny bar clamps from the hardware store to hold the sub-assemblies while painting to avoid rubbing off the paint.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Mine is held together with super glue, greenstuff for gap filling and Bondic to gapfill the wings. Bondic is a liquid plastic that cures with UV light. I highly recommend the Bondic for gapfilling on the wings as once you've attached them, it will be very difficult to get greenstuff down into the crevices between the wings and back spines. 

I did the same things Guindy did, and echo her sound advice about partial assembly, caution when handling painted pieces, etc. I attached the necks, tail, arm and leg before I started painting. At the very least, I would recommend attaching the leg and the tail, so that it can sit on the base when not being worked on (the tail has a nice chunky tab that slots into the base).

Unlike Guindy's, mine has seen not only light gaming use, but I've also toted it to various painting events, as well as it surviving being shipped from Texas to Washington state after Reapercon two years ago. There's been no bending, drooping, or breaking off of parts; it's a very well-built figure. Julie was very much sculpting a piece that would take advantage of the Bones material while minimizing its weaknesses, and it shows.

Make sure to put glue not just on the tab itself, but around the ledge near the edge of the piece, since that's what will have the most contact with the other piece you are gluing it to. I can take a picture of what I mean if that isn't clear.

If you'd like a more in-depth explanation of what I did, here's my WIP thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/75955-oneboot-is-insane-maal-drakar-in-7-days-challenge/ (though I just read back over the first page, and it looks like I didn't actually talk about the assembly much, sorry. Lots about painting it though! :blush: )

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 5

I mirror what some have already said.  I didn't have to pin anything as all the tabs and slots were pretty sturdy and deep.  Just some CA glue and filler.  In my case, I used Milliput instead of greenstuff.

Painted it partially assembled - tail, legs and neck pieces glued to body - because they had the worst gaps that needed filling/sculpting attention.  Head pieces and wings I painted separately because the seams were well incorporated once assembled.

I have a WIP thread from last year that will show the paint and glueing process, if interested.

It's travelled with me to gaming sessions and been handled quite a bit without any issue.

Edited by Vacaroja
  • Like 3