Sign in to follow this  
nakos

Bones Black Prep and Priming

In the Reaper Live videos, it's been mentioned that most rattle primers are ok to use. But no one that I've seen has mentioned their results of spray priming their bones black, so I thought that I would post my results here. I hope that others will post theirs as well. 

Cleaning and prepping mold lines on bones black is very different than regular bones. I would compare it to other gaming companies hard plastic while still having a little bit more flexibility. 

So far I've used the following primers, I'll add to this list as I use new ones:

Krylon Colormaster White primer- quick drying time with light spraying, no stickiness, no granular texture associated with light dusting. The white stayed relatively white unlike on other plastic models. 

Rustoleum 2X Paint+Primer Satin Poppy Red- Smooth coverage, no texturing. However, after 24hrs is still slightly tacky to the touch. In places where I've scrapped mold lines away the plastic underneath is not tacky. I'll give it a few more days to cure and then I'll try stripping it and see how that goes. The tackiness maybe due to the satin primer rather than the more commonly used flat primer. ETU: 60 hrs and no change in the tackiness so I used isopropyl to strip it with no issues.

Edited by nakos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By viking_hank
      Painted this one Saturday, standard table top paint job.  Harder to paint than I thought it would be. Hard to get the legs smooth and not chalky. Critiques welcome. Oh forgot to mention slightly modified. 

• By aku-chan
      This pretty lady jumped straight to the front of my painting queue, and it was about time I painted another Reaper mini:-

Here she is, all cleaned up and undercoated in primer.

Got a little further today:-

Not going down the red skin route, so Ziba is currently covered in a basecoat of 1:2 Dwarf Skin/Rosy Skin with a Flesh Wash.

Aiming to get her skin finished tonight.
    • By MKCS
      I asked my youngest daughter what colours this fearsome Rock Troll should be.  “Ummmmm wike dis” as she pointed at her Easter Oreo cookie.  Purple and black it is!
      He now stands guarding the cookie jar, although I don’t think he’s doing a very good job...
      C&C are always welcome

• By Auberon
      Like a number of you I picked up one of the new owlbears to see what the Bones Black material was all about.  Given the local weather I decided to paint it up as one of those mythic polar owlbears you occasionally see wandering around.

• By malefactus
      I got my Freebie Stone Troll a short while ago. He is okay as is, but I have been admiring G.W's Molog, a mushroom encrusted Troll.
      Being one of those Guys who can not leave well enough alone, I am Mologing the Stony Fellow:

I figure he will be a denizen of Compo Heep's Mushroom Caves & Bat Poop Farm; ergo, the cavern base:

Did I mention leaving well enough alone?

I thought so.
      Have a good night!
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 2 Anonymous, 193 Guests (See full list)