Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Cuttlefish Colors: A hobby paint line.

It sounds like they are shipping everything Priority.. shipping first class to Canada isnt that expensive

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

It sounds like they are shipping everything Priority.. shipping first class to Canada isnt that expensive

Must be the case, as Priority seems to start around... $35 USD to Canada..  Doesn't first class ha e weight and/or size restrictions though? 

14 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

Yeah, like others I’m not really sure where the “massive savings” are here- unless the paint bottles are much larger? Also no disrespect to the creator but it seems like a pretty low effort campaign, and it’s doing really well- which is great for them- but I worry about these sorts of campaigns suffering from their own success. 

After reading the campaign, I'm definitely concerned about this one.

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

To be honest, the price isn't that low.

It's right on par with most ranges from the look of it.

Nothing to draw me in as of yet.

Yup.

11 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Not enough information and shipping costs push me out on this one.  Being able to buy paint from Reaper where if I order enough paint I actually get free shipping is too good of deal.  Also Reaper is launching their new line soon so I will wait to spend my money on those. 

Yeah, red flags all day...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Must be the case, as Priority seems to start around... $35 USD to Canada..  Doesn't first class ha e weight and/or size restrictions though? 

Yes.. but I'd still offer it as an option for the smaller pledges... the weight limit appears to be 4 pounds..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, supposedly it will be 15mL dropper bottles for paints, and 30mL bottles for washes.

As for shipping, they claim it's an estimated amount, but that's what they put into the field (instead of the usual "we'll charge what it costs afterwards" kind of methods).  Yeaaah, went from curious to eh.  Then again, having 80 (or more) dropper bottles of paint coming my way in the next six months probably tempers that (56 Pathfinder shortly after release, and then 12 currently available CAV paints, plus 12 CAV paints coming in September)...

• Like 2

There just doesn't seem to be much draw here, yea it's paint.  But there's no special color and no special pricing to make it interesting.  Why pay that much for paint in 6 months when incan do the same for today.  Citadel is a little more pricy, but not that much and the color spectrum is wider.

It just doesn't sound interesting.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

There just doesn't seem to be much draw here, yea it's paint.  But there's no special color and no special pricing to make it interesting.  Why pay that much for paint in 6 months when incan do the same for today.  Citadel is a little more pricy, but not that much and the color spectrum is wider.

It just doesn't sound interesting.

And for less than Citadel, in nice dropper bottles, our kind forum hosts have a huge selection! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

And for less than Citadel, in nice dropper bottles, our kind forum hosts have a huge selection! 

Although sadly the Pathfinder line that's coming out will be pretty much the same price as Citadel...  $5.40 CAD per pot of Citadel (direct from Games Workshop, cheaper if purchased through third party), versus a converted $5.33 CAD (PDF said $3.99 USD for the Pathfinder paints)...  But they're still in dropper bottles, with agitators in them too! 

I do like indie miniature companies, but with paint I do prefer high availability and stability. Yes, Vallejo and Reaper could also change their recepies or decide to stop a paint line I use, but it's more likely that those paints will still be available in a few years. Those Cuttlefish Colors, as cute as the name is, aren't proven or proven reliale. For all I know they could stop producing/shipping to Europe after the KS (even if the KS is delivers successfully). And yes, importing all the colors from another continent is also a problem. 

Don't really see the appeal in this, and surprised they're doing well, considering they are basically offering something a lot of other companies are offering as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If they had something special, I think a lot of us would have backed, in the hope that it might become an established brand. And if not, at lease we'd have something special to brag about in our paint racks...

Everyone has to start somewhere, and some of us won't mind risking a little bit of cash helping that process.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit surprised how much backing they're getting. There must be places in the US where it really is too damn hard get decent paints, then?

(I mean, with those shipping charges, the only way I can see this getting any European backers  is if some Russian bear somehow managed to actually hibernate all through the recent RPE and Scalecolor paints campaigns.)

• Thanks 1

Not really, as long as you have shipping. In person, potentially yes. A lot of places are Citadel/GW dominant, and have no other paints. I did see Reaper, Vallejo, and The Army Painter is other places in CO. Had to go out of your way for non-GW stuff though. But when Reaper has free shipping at the $35 mark, it is darn easy to get that paint. Scale 75 and I assume other brands are also orderable without trouble. 

Pretty much, if you can get it shipped, it is easy. Weather is the worry in that case, since you don't want it to freeze. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

I'm a bit surprised how much backing they're getting. There must be places in the US where it really is too damn hard get decent paints, then?

I would have been, too, but after a couple years on various FB groups for D&D and other games, I've found that there are a LOT of hobbyists out there who don't seem to understand just how big this niche hobby is.  That made sense back in the 90s, before the internet made it easier and easier for all of us to connect to each other, but now days it just seems weird that people aren't running across this stuff. For example, the D&D 5e FB group seems to have tons of people who have never heard of Reaper, let alone their paints. 

I wish these guys well, but their comment about having enough supplies for 75 bottles of each color and a July fulfillment day combined with funding in less than a day concerns me - this one looks like it may wind up being a victim of it's own success.  Right now they have 68 backers, and 28 days to go - add too many more backers, and they could be in trouble. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I would have been, too, but after a couple years on various FB groups for D&D and other games, I've found that there are a LOT of hobbyists out there who don't seem to understand just how big this niche hobby is.  That made sense back in the 90s, before the internet made it easier and easier for all of us to connect to each other, but now days it just seems weird that people aren't running across this stuff. For example, the D&D 5e FB group seems to have tons of people who have never heard of Reaper, let alone their paints. 

I wish these guys well, but their comment about having enough supplies for 75 bottles of each color and a July fulfillment day combined with funding in less than a day concerns me - this one looks like it may wind up being a victim of it's own success.  Right now they have 68 backers, and 28 days to go - add too many more backers, and they could be in trouble. 

Honestly, that was me for a long time. 

This KS needs a lot of work; I can see the appeal of their sampler pledge, with the basic colors. Something new to try, not a terrible cost to try stuff out, right? But if they are so limited, that is weird. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Honestly, that was me for a long time. 

I guess that to be fair I should acknowledge that our hobby is full of a lot of introverts and highly intelligent people with a lot of interests (many who are both). So not everyone has the inclination to ask others or takes the time to research. That probably explains a lot of it.

• Like 3