Here’s my next big project, a 1984 Ral Partha dragon. This old fellow was in pieces when I received him, and painted. I’ve cleaned him up, removed the old epoxy glue, pinned him back together, and tonight realized it looks like he’s rising out of the water. He needs a bigger base, which I have (75x46mm oval). But I have never done any basing, and I’d like to create a base that extends the appearance of water. I have no idea how to do that, so any and all suggestions and illustrations are welcome!

1183C1F6-A745-4CD0-9DDC-83972BD13F62.jpeg

BA4A218A-8E05-47EA-A996-3DD93C80B027.jpeg

324EA19D-E971-4452-8096-93814E32D5D4.jpeg

• Like 8

Cool dragon!

I suggest looking at Youtube vids about creating dioramas with water, you can learn a lot from that.

There are several types of water effects and resin on the market to create anything from puddles to a sea.

• Like 1

I painted this one a while back and kind of thought that was kind of like a rising air current. The problem was I didn't really build on to the base, just stuck him on a black painted base afterwards.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      With my Cadian army nearly finished and my wife's army at a playable state I decided to take a break from 40k painting. Since I've been painting for our actual armies for so long I decided to start a new WIP thread rather than use my old random projects thread (the "Too Many Projects" thread will be replaced by this one).

But before getting too far ahead I'd like to show everyone just how bad my box got while painting for 40k and killteam. This of course doesn't include any GW boxes I may or may not have on hand to paint "just for fun". I swear I'll paint those Skaven sooner or later.

Though some of the figures were closer to completion, I simply couldn't resist painting one I've had my eye on for months (I mean this quite literally as the figure sat on my lamp's base since I first got it and probably ended up in the background of many of my progress shots). When I first pulled this from a box of goodwill I knew exactly what I wanted to do. This figure just screamed Don Quixote, at least to me it did. So that's exactly how I painted it and though it may just be a simple paint job I'm already thinking about creating a new character just to use it.
    • By Zanderina
      Hello all! 

@Echoside_ challenged me to do this! 

I attached the colors that were rolled and a pic of the dragon lined. Sorry for the short post,  but it serves purposes. 

Cheers! 
      -Z

• By Silvervane
      Ok, Here I go starting another WIP.  I had the hankering for Frostgrave only no one around who wanted to try.  So I decide to finally give the Dark Alchemy solo scenarios a try.  I had skeletons, rats, and a stand-in for the alchemical monstrosity.  I looked around and thought, hey those WWWOZ Tin man painted up red and gold would look cool as the FIre-Flingers for the final scenarios.  I also decided I only wanted to paint them as gaming pieces.  I haven't really posted anything cause my camera broke, and I really haven't wanted to pick up another.  So I'm starting this WIP to practice with my phone camera, as well as post here a little more often.

Here was the first of four I need for the scenario, as it stands at the moment.  Photo work still in progress as well:

Unfortunately, I had a TPK in scenario 2.  The scenario called for Wizard or Apprentice and 4 of soldiers for the mission.  They all went down, and I rolled unbelievable less than 5 for all of them on the survival roll.  I'm less than inspired to complete these guys now.  but I'll carry on and hope that the apprentice can survive the final encounter with whats left of the warband when I finish.
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello everybody!

So last night finally finished this little lady, a very petit mage sculpted by Julie Guthrie in the early eighties.  With this one, I kind of felt that her shoes were so petite that I didn't want to put neither grass nor cornmeal (for dirt) in front of them, as to not completely cover them up, so I just did a super simple base without anything.  

I really like this figure and didn't realize how much detail she has until I got her primed and really started working on her.  I had no idea she had a rose on the top of her staff for example.

and all the bangles she's got on and  with the chains on her left hand, couldn't really appreciate it in her unpainted state.  Before I primed her, she kind of reminded me of the Julie Guthrie Hill Giant I painted recently, where you couldn't be sure how her face was going to really look, but when you got her primed and painted she looked a lot more decent.  

I thought the highlights on the cape were going to pop out a little bit more, but oh well. Next time I'll do deeper shadows and higher highlights!

So hope you all enjoy!
      Mark
    • By 72moonglum
      So it's been a few weeks since I've finished a minis, been kind of busy, but finally got this guy done last night,  another Hackmaster figure that was picked up by Ral Partha, this time a mature-looking wizard with a nice wooden staff.  As always, it took forever to decide colors and with his inner clothing, the lilac, that was the easiest, but after that, took a while to figure out the green in his cloak and blue on the outside.

He has a little potion at his belt, tried to do a liquid effect, when I look at the photo, not so sure how it turned out though.

Anyhoos, enjoy!
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 78 Guests (See full list)