Sign in to follow this  
WIP

...Primers and Paints...

I am curious why the new line of paints made especially for Bones minis.

I am assuming they act as primers also and have good adhesion to the Bones minis?...if so, has me wondering...

Do their white, grey and black primers have the same good adhesion qualities/charateristics as this new line?

If so, why make a new line of paints if your already existing primers have the same qualities/characteristics...just use those primers, then paint those Bones.
Aside from possibly loosing some detail from the primering, what is the difference?
Has anyone any feedback on their primers? I use Liquitex Black or White Gesso. They have great coverage, a slow open time and shrink allowing absolute minimum detail to be lost while leveling brush strokes extremely well. They also have a nice "tooth" to them. Maybe a bit too much. Which is why I am looking around for a "ultimate" primer with the same qualities but less tooth.

Others will weigh in but the best brush on "primer" for Bones is not a primer at all but rather it is the Reaper MSP brown liner. It is very thin but adheres to the PVC Bones incredibly well. For spray primer I use Army Painter white or black primer; the other colors seem to be a bit glossy.

As for the Reaper MSP brush on primers, they work well too but are a bit thicker than the brown liner, and as Bones are a bit hydrophobic thinning the primer with water can have mixed results. I have mixed brown liner and white primer to good effect; strangely the resulting paint is slightly violet in hue. The brush on primers have been around since long before Bones and work well on metal and most other materials.

• Like 1

The Bones branded paints are really just a re-branding of the HD or High Density paints.  They have better adhesion to Bones than the MSP line, but they were designed to be used as base coat paints, ergo the higher pigment density. 

I painted my set of Bones 1 kobolds with just the HD paints and no primer.  (I did use brush on sealer.). They're still looking great after a few years of rattling around in our figure case.  I do sometimes use brown liner as a wash to show detail, but not always.

Edited by LittleBluberry
Typo
  • Like 2

My take away is that Bones/HD paints have far less to do with the material being painted and far more to do with coverage. Army painters who want to paint dozens of minis quickly want a paint with good coverage. It's fine to use two or three coats of thin, smooth MSP on your single display figure, but when speed painting a ton of figs you want to be done in one pass. This can be an issue for some paint formulations, especially in yellow and red.

Do the Bones paints stick better to Bones figures? I've never seen any test prove any difference between Bones and RMS paints, as long as the Bones have been washed properly and primed with unthinned paint. Note that Brown Liner, an RMS color, is often recommended as a Bones primer.

Not to throw any shade on Reaper, but I think they easily could have called Bones paint anything else. I think the name is clever marketing, and that's about all. Because I paint display figures, I'll be sticking primarily with RMS unless I see a really awesome Bones color.

53 minutes ago, Madog Barfog said:

My take away is that Bones/HD paints have far less to do with the material being painted and far more to do with coverage. Army painters who want to paint dozens of minis quickly want a paint with good coverage. It's fine to use two or three coats of thin, smooth MSP on your single display figure, but when speed painting a ton of figs you want to be done in one pass. This can be an issue for some paint formulations, especially in yellow and red.

Do the Bones paints stick better to Bones figures? I've never seen any test prove any difference between Bones and RMS paints, as long as the Bones have been washed properly and primed with unthinned paint. Note that Brown Liner, an RMS color, is often recommended as a Bones primer.

Not to throw any shade on Reaper, but I think they easily could have called Bones paint anything else. I think the name is clever marketing, and that's about all. Because I paint display figures, I'll be sticking primarily with RMS unless I see a really awesome Bones color.

I agree with that. I don't have a lot of the Bones/HD paints but from what I've seen for sticking to unprimed Bones minis it varies more from bottle to bottle and colour to colour than the paint series. Some of the MSP stick fine as a first coat. The Bones/HD do cover better but even with them some colours need more than one layer. Just my totally unscientific opinion. :poke: I usually prime my Bones anyhow but not always.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zink said:

sticking to unprimed Bones minis it varies more from bottle to bottle and colour to colour than the paint series.

I found out after I got my vortex mixture that it can also vary by how well your paint is mixed. 

Some colors I had that weren't sticking well started doing just fine after I started using the vortex mixer. 

• Like 6