Sign in to follow this  
Maledrakh

Maledrakh's 77163 Male Storm Giant

Nice work, I like the vibrant skin tone. Shame about the wonky sword but it just can't be avoided with some bones figures. Good work with the basing as well.

• Like 1

Very nice!

Yeah I have actually sold that Giant because I couldn't get his sword straight after multiple cold/hot water sessions.

I hope he will also get a redo in Bones Black.

EDIT:

And he's going to!

5796F188-648B-4BD0-816A-4000637A8DB2.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

One reason the female model is a bit smaller is that she is a different species. He is storm giant, the largest of giantkind, and she is a cloud giant. Cloud giants are a bit smaller on average than storm giants. I like the smurfy color scheme. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kormydigar said:

One reason the female model is a bit smaller is that she is a different species. He is storm giant, the largest of giantkind, and she is a cloud giant. Cloud giants are a bit smaller on average than storm giants. I like the smurfy color scheme. 

During the original Kickstarter, these were only shown as pencil concept sketches, and they were labeled as a set of "storm giants". The change to cloud giant for the female happened sometime between the KS and the retail release. Might very well be because of the size difference. They also have different sculptors.

Anyway, because of this they are firmly lodged in my mind as being the same kind of giant whatever they are named as now.:winkthumbs:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      The female changed from being a Storm Giant to being a Cloud Giant between the kickstarter and the retail release of the miniature. Whatever the subtype, she still gets a case of Smurfette syndrome.

The pose of the female is a bit strange, and she does have a certain supermodel-vibe going on. Reaper has explained that the pose was meant to illustrate her bending down to talk to someone human sized, and as such it is not too bad. But taken out of context it just comes off as a bit cheesecake-ish. Reaper has acknowledged that the pose did not work as intended. The swimsuit-like corset really does not help to avoid this impression at all.
      Again, a mini with a slight case of bendyweaponitis. (which, in fact, is the proper scientific name for it). Treated with hot water then cold to straighten out the worst of it.

I based her on a 50mm round lipped base.

77162 Yephima, Female Cloud Giant (the male one did not get a proper name, I wonder why not?)
      From the first Bones kickstarter, 2013
      Storm Giants subset.
      Reaper Miniatures
      sculpted by Patrick Keith
      Bonesium PVC
      50mm round lipped base
      available from reapermini.com
    • By Maledrakh
      The second of the day's random bones is the Flesh Golem from the third kickstarter.

Basically your Frankenstein's Monster. There was a flesh golem in the first kickstarter as well, but this one is larger, fatter and he has got technological bits sticking out here and there.
      I painted the different parts in several distinct fleshtones, but the subsequent wash with Druuchi Violet and Athonian Camoshade evened out the colour significantly more than I expected. The purple seams I painstakingly painted in more or less dissappeared! The ripped pants started out dark blue green, but ended up dark brown.
      Apart from the drying time I spent maybe half an hour on this mini.

Frankenstein's Ogre!

77512: Flesh Golem
      From the third Bones kickstarter, 2015
      Stoneskull expansion
      Reaper Miniatures
      sculpted by Julie Guthrie
      Bonesium PVC
      40mm base.
      available from reapermini.com

• Who's Online   25 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)