Corsair

Do any of you have a youtube channel?

I was asked to start a youtube channel for a group I Moderate for. I would have to make and post videos about antique firearms and while familiar with the guns, I know almost nothing about making videos or posting a youtube video. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 4

I've contemplated starting a channel, but... 

...Man is Edmonton a boring city, and I could only showcase so many photos along Whyte Ave ::P:

Andrew over on "Denae & Andrew" posted a three part series on "so you want to start a YouTube channel" but it's a more... Realistic look at the reality of things, so some might be a tad disheartened by how it's presented, especially the first two episodes where he talks about a lot of the things that aren't always mentioned, but it's a way of being able to look at things honestly while you're getting into it.   I also think Gerald Undone has done some videos on it, including value propsitions for gear and whatnot.  Damien Brown has various videos on the cheaper end of the gear spectrum too, but that are still high quality. 

To start a channel, you'll want a few things:

- Camera of some sort.  Most smartphones are good enough, especially for starting out and doubly so if you are in an area with good lighting. 

- Some say 4k is mandatory, I say start with 1080p (or even 720p) and go from there.  Editing 1080p video is easier on your computer, plus most gear will take decent to high quality video at 1080p nowadays. 

- Camera audio is fine for starting, provided you make sure the microphone is close to you, and hopefully at least sort of pointed in your direction.

- if you want to have a dedicated microphone, Deity has their lavalier mic for something like $40 USD, and it plays well with most brands of phone, PLUS higher end gear too. 

- While fancy tripods are nice, there are some that are $30-40 on Amazon that will give you a stable platform, AND come with phone holders.  Gerald Undone reviewed one that wasn't too bad (and I'll probably be buying one myself, since it's like, uhm, $40 CAD) 

I'll try to remember to reply later when I get home, as looking up info and typing is a lot easier when you aren't using a mobile phone ^_^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A channel would require me to have something interesting to say on a regular basis.

Being a passive lazy procrastinating introvert does not help.  I'm more of a listener really.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

A channel would require me to have something interesting to say on a regular basis.

Being a passive lazy procrastinating introvert does not help.  I'm more of a listener really.

This plus when I am doing things it's usually high speed so I don't have time to film anything. I can't even do WIP photos because I don't want to stop while I have a chance to do something.

• Like 4

Sorry, but I don't even have the confidence to do a proper WIP thread :down: The thought of letting people hear my squeaky little voice gives me a severe case of the heebee jeebees.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

To start a channel, you'll want a few things:

- Camera of some sort.  Most smartphones are good enough, especially for starting out and doubly so if you are in an area with good lighting. 

- Some say 4k is mandatory, I say start with 1080p (or even 720p) and go from there.  Editing 1080p video is easier on your computer, plus most gear will take decent to high quality video at 1080p nowadays. 

- Camera audio is fine for starting, provided you make sure the microphone is close to you, and hopefully at least sort of pointed in your direction.

- if you want to have a dedicated microphone, Deity has their lavalier mic for something like $40 USD, and it plays well with most brands of phone, PLUS higher end gear too. 

- While fancy tripods are nice, there are some that are $30-40 on Amazon that will give you a stable platform, AND come with phone holders.  Gerald Undone reviewed one that wasn't too bad (and I'll probably be buying one myself, since it's like, uhm, $40 CAD) 

WW, thanks! Good stuff here, okay:

Have a video camera already and a well-lit area

I can pick up an inexpensive lapel mike

And already have a good tripod

So, need to learn to run editing software

Hmmm, might just work

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I am still trying to get into the swing of things, but here is my channel:)

https://www.youtube.com/user/ratmaster2000

Live show this Wednesday morning for my unboxing

@Ratmaster2000Looks good, nice to see how you like such mellow music! Where's the ABBA and Barry Manilow?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

@Ratmaster2000Looks good, nice to see how you like such mellow music! Where's the ABBA and Barry Manilow?

Are we talking about my radio show video or my many playlists::P: Yah, no Manilow but I thought I had some ABBA, maybe youtube blocked them like a lot of my playlist videos:) I need to get more of my radio show tapes capped and posted, did about 40 shows before I had to move on.

Edited by Ratmaster2000
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep but I don't use it :D

I've done a FB livestream from my studio, but I don't think watching me shade a cheek for two hours is interesting to anyone. At some point I'd like to start developing content, and probably should just for my own reference in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CashWiley

There are a couple ancient music things on there, plus Bart drinking beer and a couple hawks that grew up in my yard. Uhh...eclectic.

• Like 2