Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Notre Dame Cathedral is Burning T_T

Just told the wife about this and she had me search up a bunch of info about what happened. I've never been to Paris but she was there a couple times including a tour of Notre Dame. It's been damaged before but this sounds really bad.

• Sad 2

I just heard about it on the news. ::(:

This is a tragic loss for the French and world heritage as a whole. Losing any national monument with a strong cultural identity is tragic.

• Sad 4

Truly breathtaking, in all the worst ways.

The windows. 

And it gets worse: my search for more news of this is already turning up mindless conspiracy and other beekeeper material connected to this. 

Human potential burns.

I'm...really not ok right now.

• Sad 5

I count myself fortunate to have been able to visit it beforehand.  This is a tremendous loss of history and culture.  The spire falling was terrible to watch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It is not done yet.

The fire seems to have started in the spire, probably due to something to do with the renovation.

She is not completely lost yet, firefighters are saving art.

And before the renovations started about 13 statues were moved out so those are safe at least.

Let's hope they can save enough to rebuild.

This is awful

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

It is not done yet.

The fire seems to have started in the spire, probably due to something to do with the renovation.

She is not completely lost yet, firefighters are saving art.

And before the renovations started about 13 statues were moved out so those are safe at least.

Let's hope they can save enough to rebuild.

This is awful

They will rebuild it. There's no question about it. I mean - they rebuilt the Frauenkirche in Dresden, which was completely destroyed in 1945, they rebuild the Nantes Cathedral, that burned down in 1972 and the Reims Cathedral ...

And if they cannot recreate the original work, they will make something new out of it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Glad no one was hurt, but... the art, organ and windows... the history.  I am so sorry for the French people right now.  I wish I had the right words for how sorry.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

They will rebuild it. There's no question about it. I mean - they rebuilt the Frauenkirche in Dresden, which was completely destroyed in 1945, they rebuild the Nantes Cathedral, that burned down in 1972 and the Reims Cathedral ...

And if they cannot recreate the original work, they will make something new out of it.

I saw the Frauenkirche in different stages of the renovation process, and it is truely amazing what they were able to achieve there.

The events are ofc still very tragic, let's hope all firefigthers make it out and nobody gets hurt.

• Like 4

This is devastating.

Billions of dollars to rebuild, and so much lost forever.

Even with modern methods, we are looking at decades to rebuild.

That wood is 800+ years old, once lit there is no stopping it.

Sweet Mary, Mother of Christ. ::(:

The Auld Grump

• Sad 2

The statements from the Paris fire department are not optimistic. Airborne water-drops from helicopters would likely cause structural collapse, possibly making things worse on surrounding buildings too. :down:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The statements from the Paris fire department are not optimistic. Airborne water-drops from helicopters would likely cause structural collapse, possibly making things worse on surrounding buildings too. :down:

That's the reason something like that is almost never done in cities. Such an amount of water can do a lot of damage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As serious as this is, I can't help but go into black humor. So I'll spoiler it to save people who don't find such things funny from what I'm about to say.

Didn't they know that Ash Wednesday was last month? And on a Wednesday? I'm also pretty sure they aren't supposed to burn the church down for it, but hey, they've now got a stockpile of holy ashes that'll last the city of Paris a good couple decades.

• Like 4