All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. If it has hard to reach places, I don't pre-assemble. If I plan on using it in a diaorama, I don't preassemble. If it has multiple options (different weapon hands) I don't preassemble. If it is HUGE (dance of death, the stygian barge, dragons don't share) I don't preassemble. But if it's just stick the torso to the legs, or stick the left arm on? Yeah, I'll do that. I usually have a 'single use' tube of superglue I'm trying to finish up anyway. Oh this! Sooo much this!
  3. ttuckerman

Happy Birthday Rahz

Felicitations on your personal solstice!
  4. terminalmancer

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

I agree, it's usually much easier to keep ahold of things and get inspired if you assemble them ahead of time. After having assembled most of Bones 1 and 2 ahead of time I've started keeping things in baggies and those in plastic tubs because I simply don't have enough space to have all these minis running around pre-assembled, though. If you're going to assemble something look at it as though you were painting it and see what sorts of awful nooks and crannies assembling it would create. Sometimes you can assemble things part-way to turn the thousands of tiny bits into a few larger bits that still grant you access but are less prone to being dropped and lost in the carpeting.
  5. lowlylowlycook

Was it a US order?
  6. TheAuldGrump

There is Dontgo Nearthe Castle, and to the left is Dontgo Nearthe Gift Shop.... Mwahahaha! *Thunder* Don't forget to send post cards, all at reasonable prices. (Paraphrasing from Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum. One of the older Counts was... a bit progressive.) The Auld Grump I remember the old days, when models were made of lead... and weighed a freaking ton for the larger pieces. (Anyone remember the big Archive dragon?) The Auld Grump - or *shudder* the Grenadier Goblin War Giant? (Great model... weighed about ten pounds.)
  7. I decided to pre-assemble most of mine because a) I don't lose any pieces, b) that way I can use them unpainted and c) I mostly only paint for tabletop anyway. There are a couple I'm only partially assembling, such as Dragons Don't Dance, since they'll be painted more for display.
  8. Sirithiliel

for me, personally: It is easier to store things in one piece and not multiple pieces If i leave things in baggies i forget what they are and never paint them If assembled, I can organize minis into themed boxes so that if we need, say, Drow for a game I know where to go and what to paint up For assembly, I pretty much pre-assemble everything that isn't a dragon. For dragons, I assemble their body, but I do not permanently attach them to their base or put the wings on. I do those steps after i'm almost done painting. This is because, for those specific big minis, having the wings on or on the base already makes it more difficult to paint certain areas
  9. Jason Zavoda

Lucky day for someone. They seem to be well into wave 7 now. Hold out Frost Giants. I have my fingers crossed.
  10. Well, out on S/L today so I think I'll finally begin the detailed inventory of my BBB0B! I've noted the a lot of you folks actually assemble sooner than later. I was planning on doing at least a dry fit to ensure all the pieces-parts where there and or not damaged, but I do have a bottle of super glue handy, and will be making at least one run to the store today to pick up another bottle or two (or three). Not that there really needs to be a reason, but I was wondering why the whole-sale assembly right up front? On the other hand, now that I've written out my question, I can imagine how cool it would be to put even the untainted minis, or not so minis depending on the figure in question, on display, driving me to a solution to the storage problem that also satisfies the final display problem. Addendum: For those that do preassemble, are there some figures that you don't preassemble for reasons of making the painting more difficult?
  11. Backflowteck

Seen a wave 10 in the middle of wave 7.
  12. its moving again wave 7!
  13. As seen in other peoples posts these are not generally up to the standards of a commercial machine, at least in the consumer market yet. There are a few that seem to hold up really well but they still seem to be a tinkerers paradise. I got mine because it was supposed to be well supported and well regarded but i either got a lemon or the hype outweighs the rewards. Also between my current workload and my med condition, I really dont have time to muck with it as much as i would like. My friend got a larger machine and i am tempted to buy him out of his smaller one because, although limited in size and function, it seems to be pretty robust. I own a Prusa i3. I will say that the tech support is friendly and courteous, talking to them is like talking to a combination of a car salesman and microsoft. they are often totally right and totally useless and they are always trying to sell an upgrade.
  14. Rignes

Airbrush protection discussion

I don't have an airbrush but I was curious so I did some searching on ventilated airbrushing booths. I don't know what I can link to per forum rules but if you Google the phrase "vent works diy spray booth" the top hit should be a blog post on making your own. Toward the bottom, they have a variation that uses all wood, the one at the top has some metal parts. If you are handy and already have some woodworking tools you might be able to make this on the cheap. Especially if you can use scrap wood you have around. Further Googling may reveal alternative plans if you don't like or can't make that one. ----- Actually, I just checked on Youtube and found a $30 airbrush booth. It involved a large plastic bin and a bathroom ventilation van you can get at your local hardware store. The just cut a hole in the bottom of the box and mounted the fan. Then ran some flexible tube (also from the hardware store) to a window. Seems like it would be effective to depending on the strength of the fan.
  15. Today
  16. Oh I found it. Tianot was $500 for the resin... Sanjay
  17. An order from Micro-Mark arrived a day or two ago. I got a couple of packs of (backup) Finger Drills #66, #68, # 70, #72. They are incredibly useful, but not particularly photogenic.
  18. malefactus

Happy Birthday Rahz

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Rahz! Enjoy YOUR VERY OWN FANTASTIC Friday. THE TIME TO RUN AMOK HAS COME...HAVE FUN!
  19. Doug Sundseth

Bones mini turning sticky after a while

Sorry. It's better too pull the bandage off in one go. And then leap backward to avoid the arterial spray. Here's the SDS: https://simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenAllPurposeCleaner.pdf From a quick glance, it looks like it's mostly a citrus oil cleaner. Sorry; don't have a direct substitute. I will note that the usual alternative here is "Purple Power" ... which is probably also not available in Europe. One thing I've been doing for bases is building them, including attachment points for minis, then removing the mini and painting the base entirely separately. Might be useful for spraying organic materials on the base.
  20. TheAuldGrump

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

*Hug* The Auld Grump
  21. Maglok

77377: Toad Demon

I just don't understand how to make thinner lines. I can make it blow fast, blow slower and I can change the paint amount from little to a lot. If it is changing the needle... phfff.
  22. Updates from me! You can't really see it, but there are veins in them wings darnit!
  23. Doug Sundseth

Getting to Know You for April 2019

One advantage of film cameras that I didn't mention that is a real advantage is that people who shoot film have prints of their photography most of the time. Prints are great, and big prints are better. So if you shoot digital, print the photos you like. CostCo and Sams Club both have excellent print services (and publish their printer profiles if you're the kind of person for whom that is important). A photo that only ever survives as a digital file on your hard disk is likely to never be seen again. That same photo printed at 30" x 20", framed, and hung on your wall is art. (And the print will cost you something like $10 - 20 US.) Print it and display it! ps. Ink jet printers can give you brilliant prints. And they're cheap to buy. They're also a serious pain in the rear to use if you don't use them every day. I strongly prefer to pay somebody else to do that printing for me. It's a QoL thing.
  24. Inarah

2019 ReaperCon Hotel Information

They said in the video last night that this year they will not be giving M&G tickets free with hotel rooms. So you will have to purchase one with your badge or get the VIP package. They also said the Reapercon room block at the hotel is completely sold out. No mention of other arrangements for people who have not reserved a room yet.
  25. buglips*the*goblin

Warlord Games General Historical Discussion

With the plastic boxes, I've come to realize that in (seemingly) all cases it's two boxes for one full platoon, or three boxes for two full platoons. If you're not short weapons, you'll be short bodies (the British Infantry set has a weapons sprue, but five less bodies). Whether this is because of the limitations of making a box set within an acceptable price point, or is by design to encourage sales, I can't say. To give Warlord the benefit of the doubt, they do make a point of noting that, at least for Bolt Action, in most cases you are expected to field understrength platoons within the recommended point totals. So if you're playing as designed then, at least theoretically, you don't have to spend more money. For those of us who want full strength platoons, it's a pain in the butt. But, overall, the price per figure ratio is pretty good. Certainly it's much better than, say, Robotech RPG Tactics (at retail anyway, not hard to find those at a steep discount now that it's a dead game). Well, Mario of Frontline Games will pick up a few sales from me at Reapercon as I fill out what I need. He's a good guy, I don't mind giving him some extra business. In building my forces I think I'll be going for the 3 boxes = 2 platoons route, since I would like to at least have the theoretical option of a game with 2 players per side or larger forces for 1 v 1.
  26. Inarah

Getting to Know You for April 2019

I wish. I can finally afford a good camera and development, but I don't know of any place left around here that sells film or processes photos. I loved photography when I was a kid, but was priced out of the game. I have a camera I bought about 30 years ago, but haven't used it since around 2000.
  1. Load more activity