All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Wouldn't a NIOSH respirator mask do that job? Can you paint outside? That's probably what I would do if I used an airbrush.
  3. Working on avoiding the Rainbow Lung. Hence postponing more airbrushing adventures. There is one other limit on this: time for parts collection and construction and cleaning. Building might be an option though. We'll see what we can find when we go to the art shop. If too much, might build. Sir Cyr may just go "stop inhaling paint and get the box". The $150 was in Canadian dollars on Amazon. It was the bottom of the barrel airbrush booth. Most were ~$200. So the $150 CAD is probably ~$110 US or so.
  4. Green Eyed Monster

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Virtual Hugs are right now winging their way to you. Just open a window so they can get in easier. GEM
  5. Has there been an news or updates on the ticketing system used for purchasing classes? I'm hoping they work out the quirks we saw from last year or perhaps have a new vendor / provider in mind. *fingers crossed* :D
  6. Green Eyed Monster

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

You can build an acceptable spray booth on a not quite starving grad students budget. It requires a bit of imagination and ability to think in 3-d and either good scrounging skills or the ability to convert items for uses other than the original intended purpose. If you think of the whole thing in terms of a Vapor Recovery Hood the engineering should become pretty obvious. You need a box, cardboard will do, in which you can construct a plenum that the air from the main part of the box is drawn and expelled to a remote location. Ideally the inlet side of the plenum should be arranged so that filter media such as a furnace filter can be attached to screen the gross particulates out before they enter the air evacuation system. If you want to go for a two stage filtration rig it so that the blue shop towels on a roll can be fitted over the furnace filter so that this is the first stage of particulate trapping. Make it easy to change out the blue [paper] towel as it will load up fastest. I like this system because the towels are cheaper than furnace filters so you don't mind as much having to change them frequently. From the plenum you need a suitable size flexible pipe that leads to the powered suction unit. this can be anything from a 4" computer fan taped over the outlet end of the hose leading into a large trash bin with a couple of inches or more of water in it to a shop vac where the hose is connected to the suction side and another hose to the exhaust outlet leading outside. If possible the system should include a water trap so you capture the maximum amount of yucky stuff before exhausting to the outside air. This is part of the reason for water in the trash bin if you go that route. For lighting you can use anything from ambient room lighting or an LED Headlight all the way up to how big is your budget systems. Add suitable furniture for holding the pieces you are spraying and you should be good to go. Imagination is the limit, tempered by the available funds for the project. Good Luck and let us know which way you decide to go inexpensive and home-brew or a pricier pre-built rig. GEM
  7. I guess that is part of the risk of backing a project like this. You put money up based on artwork and promises, and previous reputation for fulfillment (if any) and hope for the best. I think overall Reaper has done very well. There are always changes to products, we just usually never see or hear about them.
  8. Ratmaster2000

Check out TCP global, they have decent booths for a cheap price. I lucked out and got one similar to their 99 dollar model for 20 bucks off close 5 )or offer up)
  9. Sibling

*Hugs*
  10. Lord of the Dish Pit

Consider one given.
  11. Morihalda

I would really appreciate some hugs for the moment. I miss you guys a lot.
  12. Auberon

Getting to Know You for April 2019

No, don't own one. I've never had much of an interest in taking pictures so if it wasn't for minis I'd almost never use my old digital.
  13. Mnemonic

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

Does anyone recall or know if the scheduled games have an admission cost?
  14. Doug Sundseth

Might be a Canada thing. I'm seeing them in the $60 $80 - $100 range. Breathing particulates is bad (black lung, baker's lung, asbestosis, whatever). Breathing adhesive polymer resins mixed with possibly toxic pigments ... don't do that please. Please?
  15. Sylverthorne

No, not really. I still have one (an old Canon body), but I don't really USE it. No darkroom facilities, no real interest in building any. I'm rather fond of my digital camera, and my phone takes decent pictures regardless. ;p
  16. Doug Sundseth

The advice I've given before is that unless you can explain exactly how a specific new camera would be better than your current camera, you don't need a new camera. (The same thing applies to lenses or any other camera gear, btw.) For most subjects in most lighting, any modern-ish camera can get you a really nice shot. There are many reasons this might be so (dynamic range, focus speed, burst rate, whatever). I bought (and don't regret buying) a camera so that I would have a button to make changes to ISO and white balance instead of going through a menu and would have a second wheel to change aperture in addition to the wheel for shutter speed. Those were both speed and quality of life enhancements that were worth it for me. But you should be able to explain at least to yourself why your life would be better after spending that $300 - $6000 than it was before.
  17. Zink

Have, yes. Use, no. I'm not a big picture taker and most is to share so digital is easier.
  18. ~$150 low end from what I am seeing. Right now I have a cardboard box. Blows right back in my face and the lighting is awful. I'll be looking at a spray booth; I think it is wise. I end up focusing on holding my breath while I spray instead of spraying - not getting the swing of it quite yet. Over-spraying most stuff. Still getting it up nose. Even if I have a mask, I'm pretty sure those three rounds gave me extra pimples. I tried an anti-rock-dust mask from the lab - didn't work. The preassembly, where it happened, is very annoying. The factory did a bad job, or made it impossible to paint inside. However, I am glad that they have the assembly option. It is broadening the sculpts they can do, and most of my figures that are unassembled have pieces that fit together really nicely and will require minimal work.
  19. Wyvernfire

Monster Fight Club

Ooo I really like that forced perspective looking down the well.
  20. Today
  21. Darsc Zacal

Have to admit when I unpacked Argent I was impressed with his size and didn’t realize he was that much smaller than originally planned, until OneBoot posted that pic with the ruler. I’m not saying I don’t care that he’s smaller... but I have a lot of dragons. A lot of dragons. As is Argent is still near the top for size. And I can still use him as a honking big dragon. I’m more annoyed with the preassembly and changes made to Baba Yagas hut.
  22. Sylverthorne

So.. I'm looking at my Hut. My hut (it has three- wait, wrong song) .. my Hut stands pretty straight, all told. Fitting the cage into the little hole under the porch, the feets hang with a little bit of clearance. Still. I don't like the under-porch gibbet. So, I'm thinkin', being the crafty woof that I am, maybe what I will do is nip the peg off, punch a little hole in it and put a ring through. I have lots of jump rings. Then; in various positions, as effective, I put some little hooks. I might need some more carrion cages. <.<
  23. SGHawkins09

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

Thank you for posting this!
  24. Doug Sundseth

"I'm sorry, was that 'live' or 'leave'?" "Yeeessss."
  25. Roof stuff is gluing. Ledge is wide enough for a mini
  26. Xiwo Xerase

No. I had a film camera when I was in high school and college and I never used it much. I did have a roll of film that was almost completely used by pictures of the sunset, as taken from my dorm floor's balcony. Never did get that roll developed. It's probably long gone. I am not passionate about taking pictures, so film holds no appeal for me. I am much more pragmatic. I want good pictures but I also don't want to spend hours developing them (or figuring out if anyone around me can develop film these days). My current camera (and, really, the only camera I've owned in the past fifteen years) is a Fujifilm FinePix Z20fd digital point-and-click camera that I bought on sale in, um, 2008? I've been debating getting a newer, better (and more expensive) camera but I think I need to learn more before making that jump.
  27. Saaaaaaaaaame sitch...I'm not expecting my wave 3 till mid-May at this point "Go dat vay if you vant to leeeeeeeevvveee"
  1. Load more activity