• This topic is locked This topic is locked
148 replies to this topic

#1 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10261 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:49 AM

Darkspawn lovers, post your good and bad construction tips, tactics, advice here.

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#2 Oberon2128

Oberon2128

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:42 AM

I am proud to be the first player to add in my thoughts on our beloved vile army of the Isiri. I will begin this thread by stating how glad I am to finally have almost every model released from the coure book. Only two more to go and I can be sated, until that time when the faction book is released.

#3 Sivrel

Sivrel

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:26 PM

I aquired a darkspawn starter army at Gen Con so I might want to take interest in this post.

#4 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:15 PM

Some good tactics are outlined here:
http://www.reapermin...showtopic=15599

A cool RTS from one of the designers of Warlord 2.0 Cairn

CustomKorborlas64.jpgReptus.gifDarkspawn.gif

#5 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

We're playing at our FLGS tomorrow, I may try this out. This began as a mod from the Uber Warrior thread, but I'm wondering how the multi-firestorm will fare.
This will be the army for 1500:

Witch Queen 148
Greater Magical Armor 30
Greater Magical Empowerment 45
Divine Favor 10
Firestorm * 2 : 150
Dispel * 1 : 10
Life Transfer * 2 : 40
Ice Shard * 1 : 10 - WQtotal= 443
Isisri Warrior * 9 : 160 + 15(musician)
-Total cost 638-

Guros 138
Ice Shard * 2 : 20
Life Transfer * 1 : 20 - Gtotal = 178
Isiri Archer * 8 : 336 + 15(musician)
-Total cost 539-

Vysa 27
Broken Fodder * 3 : 72
Pain Tenders * 3 : 90
-Total cost 189-

Ashakia 84
Ice Shard * 4 : 40
-Total cost 124-

#6 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Members
  • 1955 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:01 PM

Looks good, except I'm not sure about Guros. In order to get decent movement out of him he has to be flying, and if he's flying he's target practice. While I love the mini, I just haven't thought of any effective ways to use him.

With Ashakia you can just hold her back till people are in range of the spells, then fly her up and shoot away.
"The battle between Minis I Want and Money That Needs Not To Be Spent is eternal, and wearies the soul."--Nanite

"you don't buy miniatures to paint, rather you buy miniatures to daydream about painting and that you like to daydream a lot!" Ed Pugh

#7 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:13 PM

The goal would be too eliminate enemy archers with mine, since I most likely will have greater numbers, once most are out, move into the air.

I think a better tactic would be to take a Chaos Spawn and burrow to the archers and take their feet out from under them.

#8 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Members
  • 1955 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

Thats a good point. Mop up with Guros and have him heal the Queen. I really ought to think harder on these things.
"The battle between Minis I Want and Money That Needs Not To Be Spent is eternal, and wearies the soul."--Nanite

"you don't buy miniatures to paint, rather you buy miniatures to daydream about painting and that you like to daydream a lot!" Ed Pugh

#9 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Members
  • 1955 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

Made a 2500 point company. Do you think there is enough grunts? Should I move the Painmage to Javoliths troop?

Witch Queen 148
GMA 30
Dispel 10
Scare 10
Life Transfer 20
Fireball*2 100
Bolt 20
Ice Shard 10

Nasithe 166
GMW 115
Imp Pro 20

Painmage 43
LME 15
Scare 10
Fireball 50
Bolt 20
Life Transfer 20

Paintenter*3 90
Warrior*6 120
Musician 15

Total Troop 1032

Javolith 85
Imp Pro 20

Broken Fodder*6 144
Paintender*4 120
Musician 15

Total Troop 384

Vysa 25
Imp Pro 20

Archer*9 378
Musician 15

Total Troop 438

Rauthuros 285
Firestorm 75
Ice Shard 10

Total Troop 370

Soul Tender 45
GMA 30
LMW 15

Total Troop 90

Chaos Spawn 183

Total Troop 183

Total Company 2497

#10 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:08 AM

Everything looks pretty good but a few things pop out at me.
If you're not going to use Javolith's elite slots, you will be better off going with Vysa and saving th 60 points.

Put the FireStorm on the which queen, she has a much higher CP and will hit more people, give the demon the fireball.

Take those items off of your Soul Tender and just put another one out there. Two of them well do alot more than a single buffed one.(and that's another card)
Now if you're boosting him because of the number of troops you have, you're better off just taking a different solo.
The corrupted elf and Ashakia are my suggestions, cut points elsewhere(60 will do it) to get one of them in. I find that the SoulTender blocks LoS for spell more than I like, so be careful of this when going heavy caster.
And I consider 3+ heavy.

#11 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Members
  • 1955 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:28 PM

So drop Javolith for Vysa, add another Vysa with half the troops from Javoliths old troop with a couple extra from point savings. Drop equipment on Soul Tender and add another one. Thats a lot of activation cards.

#12 Storminator

Storminator

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1249 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:42 AM

2500 points should have a lot of activation cards.

You can a second troop of archers at 2500 points. Even if you don't field another pure archery troop, put in a couple of archers in another troop to get off a couple of extra shots here and there. Archery is especially important for the Darkspawn because if fills the Paincage before the melee starts.

PS

Rolling bad is NOT a counter-strategy for rolling good!

Black Lightning #MA003

#13 Mydnight

Mydnight

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:43 AM

I'm going to chime in that I finally got my Dark Spawn starter at Gen Con along w/Ashakia and some archers. I've been playing with my friend, and as he/we are still learning some things, I've been setting up the army lists. One thing I've noticed is that its better to put Archers with the Witch Queen, keep her more to the back and have her fling spells while the archers, well, archer. Nasithe is a good defense against flyers/burrowers that might try to get through so I keep those two together. As for Javolith, I put a bunch of warriors with him and have them go to town :)

Currently I'm waiting on my Javolith and Spawn models to come in, other than that I'm looking at the Paintenders as well, but I'm not sure which of the other solos I might want to consider. Any advice? Criticisms?

#14 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Members
  • 1955 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

Welcome Mydnight!

Initially I thought archers with the Queen was a good idea, but then the archers would have to be at the extreme range of cohesion to make use of their long range bows while the Queen is in range to shoot off spells. I'll have to think on this one a little more.

Definatly get some paintenders. They are awesome models, and put them with Javolith to make use of trencher. I also like the broken fodder.

As for the solos the Devourer is a cool sculpt and fun to paint, but no one has come up with a good use for him yet. The soultender looks to have the potential to be a good model, but the one time I used him he died before making it into base contact. I wasn't moving him aggresivly though so that is probably my fault. He is also really fun to paint.

#15 Mydnight

Mydnight

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:42 AM

Welcome Mydnight!

Initially I thought archers with the Queen was a good idea, but then the archers would have to be at the extreme range of cohesion to make use of their long range bows while the Queen is in range to shoot off spells. I'll have to think on this one a little more.

I dunno, I always thought of using the queen to skirt around the battle field a bit, throw a few spells, twang a few bowstrings. More of an attrition tactic I guess. With Nasithe in the group, if anyone got too close just have her teach them why they made a mistake. I know Nasithe might be better used in a fighter oriented group, but she provides some REALLY good defense, and anyone familiar with her stats will think twice before trying to come close to the Queen. The thing of it is, the Queen is only so so in combat, her strong point is magic. I say bank off that, keep her close to the fray but not in it.

Also, as another point, if you don't have the Necropolis faction book, I'd recomend picking it up for some of the magic available in there, specifically, Life Transfer. Normally its a necro only, but if you can cast grade 3 spells, and are an evil mage, you can take it. It'd be a great way to keep your archers/Nasithe alive while continuing the attrition.

Definatly get some paintenders. They are awesome models, and put them with Javolith to make use of trencher. I also like the broken fodder.

I agree with you whole heartedly. While getting accustomed to Dark Spawn, I remember going back and taking a look. I haven't played too many games and I'm still going over all the SA's, but when I looked at the Tender's, I noticed that they, as a unit, have the Horrid SA. My first thought is..."Why do I not have 2 blisters of these people?" I like to think of them as being a great deterent to oncoming armies and having more leway to maneuver into the combat you want. I only wish there was a cap or a sarge to go with em, darn soultender has to be a solo :)

As for the solos the Devourer is a cool sculpt and fun to paint, but no one has come up with a good use for him yet. The soultender looks to have the potential to be a good model, but the one time I used him he died before making it into base contact. I wasn't moving him aggresivly though so that is probably my fault. He is also really fun to paint.

The Devourer needs to have the SA: Lovecraftian. What it does, I don't know or care, it just needs this. Any way this can be arranged or great and fearsome mods? The Devourer looks like he'd be fun for smaller skirmishes where there won't be a lot of points to throw around. He's cheap enough that you could throw him into the mix and spice things up a bit. In larger games though, I see him as a big balloon waiting for an archer to pop him. I'm hesitant on the Soultender. I see a good use for him if you have Paintenders, then you can better play off of his Reach, otherwise I see him there as a nice road bump. Spawn of Mashaf is just yummy, all there is too it.

Any idea when we'll see a Rauthuros model? Guys?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users