Photo

Ceynuundra Aelvari - Elven High Command (1.2)

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 kellinator

kellinator

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:41 PM

Welcome, Elven kinfolk, to the Vale. Let this be a place for us to refine our strategies, celebrate our superior Elven culture, and discuss the best ways of getting orc blood out of our clothing.
Don't eat me, I'm not a hedgehog!

#2 Emmel Eitch

Emmel Eitch

Double E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

With the mass update of the Data Cards to 1.2, we've decided to prune out old tactics discussions as they may be confusing the newer players.
Michael L. Hoehne MLH@reapermini.com "We all ate the biscuits, Fighter. We can all see through time." "Say that you're 'leveraging synergies.' Synergies are basically awesome, and they're even better when you leverage them." Tycho 2/12/2007

#3 Tsetsen Muur

Tsetsen Muur

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Given the 1.2 rules, do people generally agree with the following opinions?

The elvish breaker just became as useful, albeit for different purposes, as our warrior. Before they were too breakable - now they are our precision hitters.

The longthorn can now stand up in combat. DV 8, while not primary front-line worthy, is respectable.

The centaur just became one of the best long-range solo plinkers in the game. While he is no better at hitting, his staying power is greatly improved. I may have to paint up my secondary centaur.

For a friendly, 1000 point game:

Selwyn
Nirondel, Divine Favor, Bandage, Bless X3
5 Archers
2 Long thorns, Musician

Arnise, LMA
2 Breakers
2 Death Seekers
2 Warriors, Musician

Merdth
6 Warriors

Centaur

Centaur

5 Cards. A maximum of 16 ranged attacks in a turn, with 11 much more likely

#4 Darthiir

Darthiir

Dark Lord of Puppies

• Black Lightning
  • 1097 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

Given the 1.2 rules, do people generally agree with the following opinions?

The elvish breaker just became as useful, albeit for different purposes, as our warrior. Before they were too breakable - now they are our precision hitters.

The longthorn can now stand up in combat. DV 8, while not primary front-line worthy, is respectable.

The centaur just became one of the best long-range solo plinkers in the game. While he is no better at hitting, his staying power is greatly improved. I may have to paint up my secondary centaur.

Agreed, before the breaker was a must a rear side base contact. On any other side he was going to be toasted. Yes, 8 DV is still below the norm for a melee type but any improvment is better. Same goes for the Longthorns.

The centaur, he just became almost unstoppable. Base DV 10, 12 vs. ranged attacks and if you want to make it harder LMA or GMA to boost it to 13 or 14. Sure he can still be hit and taken down on a 10, but with Niriodel in the force he will be getting up at least once.

Yes, I am very happy with the changes to our army.

I am the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

#5 Gus Landt

Gus Landt

Godlike

• Members
  • 5087 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

I must admit, I am baffled as to why the Centaur got the Cavalry SA. He is not a cavalry, but just a creature.
I always figured the 'superior deflect' of the Cavalry SA was due to the difficulty in shooting just the rider, without the mount getting in the way. That shouldn't matter for the Centaur, since shooting the horse part should be just as effective as shooting the man part.

So, can anyone offer an explanation as to why the Centaur would be hard to shoot?
“There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way” - C.S. Lewis "I'm not sure God wants us to be happy. I think he wants us to love, and be loved. But we are like children, thinking our toys will make us happy and the whole world is our nursery. Something must drive us out of that nursery and into the lives of others, and that something is suffering." - C.S. Lewis

#6 Brushmaster

Brushmaster

Deity of Brushlicking and Drybrushing

• Black Lightning
  • 3683 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

I must admit, I am baffled as to why the Centaur got the Cavalry SA. He is not a cavalry, but just a creature.
I always figured the 'superior deflect' of the Cavalry SA was due to the difficulty in shooting just the rider, without the mount getting in the way. That shouldn't matter for the Centaur, since shooting the horse part should be just as effective as shooting the man part.

So, can anyone offer an explanation as to why the Centaur would be hard to shoot?

Is it that something that is horse like or on a horse is more mobile and therefore harder to hit ? :unsure:
Just remember - Your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!!

"The fortunes of war are always doubtful" - Seneca

Law of Tactical Unreliability
Tactical geniuses aren't....

Posted Image

#7 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14210 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

Because the Centaur really needed some extra defense against ranged attacks, and giving it +1 DV and Deflect probably cost more, and would also give a bonus against melee attacks, than Cavalry.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#8 Tannhauser

Tannhauser

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

The Cavalry SA could also be representing the fact that a faster moving target is harder to hit.
$1.50 worth o' gas from Reaper HQ

#9 Darthiir

Darthiir

Dark Lord of Puppies

• Black Lightning
  • 1097 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

I will also go with the, it's a lot faster than your average foot solider and harder to hit option.

Ok, it's late, i've been up since 5am the 20th and now its 1230am on the 21. Work, if i didnt need it to buy Reaper figs. i'd become a sloth.

Anyway, while i work i have time to think about the elven army and my wish list of things that i would like to see in the faction book. so in no particular order and a nod to the gods. . .

Warlord(s): i know i have said that we, elves, don't need cavalry (and i still believe this), but if they are going to give us some then how about.

Princess Nienna Unicorn Rider (on Unicorn)
and
Princess Nienna (on foot)

having a single warlord with the option of fielding the miniature mounted or unmounted would be interesting. when someone asks if you brought your warlord you can say yes, princess nienna and they won't know which version you are bringing. the problem i see with this would be the vast difference in points with the addition of sa's due to being on the unicorn.

if you are going with the cavalry what would troops, heros, etc be. . .

mages: a pixie or fairy (fly would let them keep up with the cavalry) or a satyr.

melee cavalry troops: elves mounted on either light warhorses, unicorns, or deer. i would lean towards the horses or unicorns myself.

melee foot troops: something with heavier armor dv10 would be nice. . .

magical equipment: Spell bow: can only be taken by a mage gives +1RAV, 30RNG, and allows the casting of spells through the bow. it would work something like this. Lysette has the spell bow as part of her equipment, on her activation she casts a spell (let's go with fireball) picks a target within 30" and has LOS to target and shoots the bow. if the shot fails to hit the targets dv (dv10 for point a point on the field or dv of model targeted) roll for scattering. :devil:

sub-faction: the forest people

this would be part of the elven army but with no elves in it. warlord could be a treant or similar woodland creature and the troops could be centaurs, satyrs, pixies, nymphs, dryads, brownies, grigs. . .

ok, way to tired.

I am the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

#10 Tsetsen Muur

Tsetsen Muur

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:10 AM

I keep thinking "Centaur Captain", that allows you to bind your solos into a single troop would be cool. Then I think about it, and can't come up with a good reason why to do it.

I'm not sure about a "Forrest People" sublist. Another miniatures company did it, and I'd like Reaper to go off in a vastly different direction. What I'd like to see:

Junior Archers - adepts, at about 25 points. Like our archers without Marksman and perhaps RAV2. We, like the Reven, would then be allowed to have 2 troops of archers. This wouldn't be much further out than having a group of Mercenary Crossbowers, so I think it might balance okay.

The Centaur Captain. Maybe Reaper can make it work.

A second-line Sarge or Captain. A leader who fights with spear.

Knife throwing skirmishers. I can't believe that adding a range 6, RAV 1 attack would greatly increase the cost of a basic warrior, especially if Tough was lost.

#11 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2018 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:58 AM

I'm not sure about a "Forrest People" sublist. Another miniatures company did it, and I'd like Reaper to go off in a vastly different direction. What I'd like to see:

Aww C'mon, who wouldn't want skirmish units of furry woodland creatures? A stand could hold an assortment of three or four chipmunks, squirrels, racoons, etc. They would be the Elfin equivilent of goblins......... Probably would loose runner but gain deflect since there are so many of the little buggers to hit.......... And next would be the swarm of birds...........

Castlebuilder
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

#12 Tsetsen Muur

Tsetsen Muur

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

Okay - maybe forest animal list. We could have moose and squirrel cavalry. Bears without the pesky dwarf on their backs. The Dryad and Satyr list, on the other hand, doesn't do much for me.

#13 Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:27 AM

Okay - maybe forest animal list. We could have moose and squirrel cavalry. Bears without the pesky dwarf on their backs. The Dryad and Satyr list, on the other hand, doesn't do much for me.

Sorry, all the bears are currently over at the Dwarven hold downing large amounts of honey ale, good luck with trying to to get them back into the wild. ::P: You wouldn't have to worry about a Dryad and Satyr army because the Satyrs would be too busy chasing the Dryads to fight anyone. ::D:
(\_/)
(0.0)
(.\ /)

()()
(-.-)
(")(") This is Bunny and Rabbit. Copy Bunny and Rabbit and this message into your signature to help them on their way to world domination.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Arbiter10

Arbiter10

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:43 AM

Darthir, you brought up a unicorn. I was thinking that a good candidate for a unicorn model would be as a solo with the Healer SA. Your idea of the two versions of a given Warlord is interesting.

For a while now I've been thinking that air cavalry would be really awesome, and appropriate for the elves. They'd probably be pretty expensive in terms of points, but they would make really cool-looking models and a neat twist on the traditional cavalry design.

I'm excited for the elves expansion since they're another faction that I play, but in a way I'm content to wait for a while because it means I can focus more on painting the minis for my other factions. ::):

#15 Tsetsen Muur

Tsetsen Muur

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:50 AM

Sorry, all the bears are currently over at the Dwarven hold downing large amounts of honey ale, good luck with trying to to get them back into the wild. ::P: You wouldn't have to worry about a Dryad and Satyr army because the Satyrs would be too busy chasing the Dryads to fight anyone. ::D:

Ah, now we see how the dwarfs have enslaved their mounts - drugs. Everyone knows that bears have enzyme deficiencies that make them more susceptable to alcoholism than most humans. Oh, the shame. Oh, the ursinity. :poke:

When I said that the bears needed to get the dwarfs off their backs, perhaps I should have said they needed to get the monkey of addition off their backs...

*whew* Sorry guys, I must be in a mood.

Back on topic, Underling suggested that 750 point beginner forces be created for the benefit for those just beginning the game. I found that the list hasn't changed much from the 1.1 edition of the rules. What do people think?

Elves (748 Points) - General archer focused army:
Selwyn - Divine Favor
4 Archers
2 Longthorns
1 Warrior - Musician

Merdth
5 Warriors
Breaker

Merdth
5 Warriors
Breaker
Longthorn