• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#1 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10261 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

Discuss factions, builds, and how to crush your foes mightily in this thread!

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#2 Outkast Samurai

Outkast Samurai

Metal Daimyo

• Black Lightning
  • 2055 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

Woo Hoo first post. :upside:

I'm hoping that our FA gets a serious look at it with the KJ but with the way that Crimson Embrace has been brought around to being much more usefull I'm feeling pretty good that our FA will come up to par with the rest.

Welcome to the Swamp.
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain
BL:OH018

#3 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5989 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:33 AM

Well, aside from the tactic of using T'Kay to fling Poo at our enemies (not a tactic that I endorse, btw), does anyone have any thoughts based on either their open or closed beta experiences? I had good luck using the trolls, personally. With mobility, defense, and packing a nice punch, they fared well toe-to-toe with their points value of opponents in the games when I used them.

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#4 Outkast Samurai

Outkast Samurai

Metal Daimyo

• Black Lightning
  • 2055 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

I've had good luck with Uru and the boys both in the combat and in the diversion departments. The flyers are great for taking objectives and protecting your flanks.

I refuse to field excrement on principle. If I want poo I'll look behind the Krunbgbeast :unsure:
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain
BL:OH018

#5 Sergei

Sergei

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1009 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

When you had to roll 2 DIS checks to get into b2b with the Hydra I used him as a very efficitive road block. I used a gap between the two halves of my opponents army and concentrated everything I had on one half.

opponent had a very difficult time getting into b2b with the Hydra to lanch a successful atttack. By the time he was actually able to take the hydra down one hald of the army was gone and the other half was pretty well chewed up.

It was just a matter of time after that. :devil:

I let my dice speak for me

Remember to keep safety first.....or at least in the top five

Pray to god, but row for shore.-Russian proverb

#6 Shakandara

Shakandara

• Black Lightning
  • 5989 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

Except that all Fearsome does now is make your opponent Shaken if they fail the Dis check. They still get to base you; the Shaken doesn't matter too much when it comes to the Hydra. MAV 9 = you are getting hit anyway.

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#7 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:42 AM

But being Shaken means the Hydra can Frenzy up to 7 attacks and still have the same chance to hit you as if you weren't shaken, it makes a huge difference if your Hydra is getting mobbed by soldier models and needs those extra attacks.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#8 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15006 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

Ahhh, but then what you do, is let those Models take the Shaken token, and use the Hydra to attack the ones that survived the Discipline check with its Defensive Strikes.

Then have Ssudai or Poo drop a Scare on the Models and force them all to retreat. Save the combat for the ones that survived the Fearsome, and get rid of those opposing multi track models far more efficiently.

The scary part is the number of Mages with Fearsome that could be ground zero for the Scare :devil:

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#9 Shakandara

Shakandara

• Black Lightning
  • 5989 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

But being Shaken means the Hydra can Frenzy up to 7 attacks and still have the same chance to hit you as if you weren't shaken, it makes a huge difference if your Hydra is getting mobbed by soldier models and needs those extra attacks.

Assuming the models aren't Fearsome... or Fearless... or Undead... or... you get the point.

~v

Shakandara.com

#10 rcrosby

rcrosby

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

Then have Ssudai or Poo drop a Scare on the Models and force them all to retreat. Save the combat for the ones that survived the Fearsome, and get rid of those opposing multi track models far more efficiently.

They will only retreat if they are out of cohesion.

Rich
What puts the ape in apricot?

#11 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2032 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

They will only retreat if they are out of cohesion.

Rich

Technicalities! First you eat the leader with your Hydra, then go for the scare spell.....

Castlebuilder
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

#12 Hellsgate

Hellsgate

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:20 PM

I thought two shaken token = auto retreat wether or not your in cohetion.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I indulge in every single minute of it."

#13 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:19 AM

I thought two shaken token = auto retreat wether or not your in cohetion.

THis has never been the case, previously there were a few limited instances where you could retreat while in cohesion, I believe these have been eliminated in the new rules set as they were tied to special abilties and spells that have been ammended.

Off the top of my head, if you fail an attempt to break from combat while already shaken you would still retreat under then new rules, that was the major way of a model retreating while still in cohesion under the previous rules set as well, most other instances of retreat can only occur if you recieve that second token while out of cohesion.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#14 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11199 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:23 AM

Okay, who can give me a competent 1000 point list? Preferable, but not essential, is the Shamaness, 6 Warriors, 6 Breakers. I have Khong-To as well. I don't much like the Nagendra Rangers sculpts but anything else is fair game.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#15 rcrosby

rcrosby

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

Technicalities! First you eat the leader with your Hydra, then go for the scare spell.....

It is difficult for the grunts to be out of cohesion if they are all crowded around the same enemy model - leader or no leader.

Rich
What puts the ape in apricot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users