• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3978 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

It seems lately that we have a lot of flak flying around about too much criticism, not enough, not constructive critique, etc... I recently read a few articles that give excellent advice in this area, and thought I'd share them with you. I chose to post these here in Show Off because this is where the rubber hits the road on this issue.

How to Give Kind Criticism, and Avoid Being Critical

How to Accept Criticism with Grace and Appreciation

Anyway, as a Tech. Writer, I need to take criticism every day, and as a Team Lead, I sometimes need to give it. I found these articles to be very healpful and insightful.

Andy

Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com 

#2 vutpakdi

vutpakdi

Knight-Errant

• Black Lightning
  • 2697 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:59 PM

I really like those articles, and they will be helpful at work as well (gotta love design review meetings).

Thank you!

Ron
ex Black Lightning, Houston Metro area

#3 Mortiana27

Mortiana27

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for those links, I'm going to bookmark them as soon as I get home :)

#4 Krztoff

Krztoff

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1452 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

Those are some good links.

Although perhaps in the future when you post links to articles that long, you could add some key quotes or perhaps a summary for people who might not care to read the entire article. At least they would then benefit from the major points.

Again, good post.
Posted Image

SaintRigger: HALT! Hammerzeit!
Me: if zeit means time, i hope you die

You will learn as much from mistakes as you will from failures. -Qwyk

TBH by usual internet standards krztoff is a big fluffy bunny of love and hugs who wants to give Jesus great big warm cuddles. -smokingwreckage

#5 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3978 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:04 PM

Although perhaps in the future when you post links to articles that long, you could add some key quotes or perhaps a summary for people who might not care to read the entire article. At least they would then benefit from the major points.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of doing that. I don't post links very often. I'll do that in the future.

TS

Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com 

#6 Warlady

Warlady

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

Two very good articles - thanks for posting those!
Warlady

Miniatures=metal cocaine

#7 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5870 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Those are some good links.

Again, good post.

I didn't know it was possible for someone to have their tongue surgically attached to their cheek... :lol:

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#8 ixminis

ixminis

Paint-Lackey

• Artists
  • 3893 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

I consider myself a fairly slow reader & thought that the articles were about the right size. At the same time, I recognize I have one opinion out of many. Good stuff TS -> thank you for sharing! Perhaps we can get this added to a sticky (or get permission from the author to plagiarize a little bit and incorporate it in the Show Off guidelines...) (Reminder: I'm a freelancer, and don't represent Reaper, we'd need a moderator or two to weigh in for my suggestion to come to fruition)

Rgds,
MichaelG / IXMINIS (I-X-Minis)
Friends don't let friends paint drunk
http://www.tinywars.com

#9 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2482 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

Those articles weren't long. The web pages with all the responses, etc. are, but the actual articles seemed pretty short to me. Thanks for the links!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#10 Bodhi

Bodhi

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:44 AM

Having been a striving zenbuddhist for the past eight years I felt I recognized and sympathised with much in the articles. I prefer articles that I disagree with. Gives me opportunity to shake myself a little and stop navel gazing :poke:

I've allways thought that "If someone takes their time to say ANYTHING about what I do I have every reason to be grateful because they take their time with me"

And the part about GIVING criticism is part of all teachers education - it's almost the FUNDAMENT of teaching to be able to do that in a non aggrevating manner.
That which is great is allways greater than something else. That which is small is allways smaller than something else. Therefore: The universe is a grain of rice and the tip of a hair as big as a mountain Lao Tse

#11 dargrin

dargrin

Misunderstood Jubilex

• GM
  • 4178 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:05 AM

Great articles. I know several people (not board releated) that need to read either one or the other.
I was notified today by Tyler that I was a Blue Doink

Posted Image No EBAY auctions

#12 bleujenna

bleujenna

Instigator

• Black Lightning
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

I agree- some great articles! I went to college for illustration and I miss my classmates in my final year- we had established a great group of people that trusted each other and gave great constructive criticism. Here at work, constructive criticism is how we make our designs better- it's true about two heads are better than one. The important part is the constructive bit though. We follow the PPCO when evaluating stuff here at work.

Plusses - always start off on the positive!
Potential- what would make it even better?
Concerns- what needs fixing?
Overcome concerns- offer suggestions to overcome your concerns, or brainstorm.

I find that the PPCO is a great tool when offering constructive criticism.
~jenna
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users