Crusaders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14655 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

Welcome back for another year. May the light of Denelspire shine upon you and protect you from all that is wicked and evil. Ride forth and lay waste to the encroaching darkness!

For historical reference, feel free to visit past Faction discussion threads:
Crusaders 2007
Denelspire 1.2
Denelspire

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#2 Brushmaster

Brushmaster

Deity of Brushlicking and Drybrushing

• Black Lightning
  • 3683 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

I must say that since RC08 , I've had much better performance from my Ivy Crown Archers even if they have a "meh" RAV . The Marksman/2 has really helped even if you need "10's" to hit , you are getting more chances . :poke:
Just remember - Your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!!

"The fortunes of war are always doubtful" - Seneca

Law of Tactical Unreliability
Tactical geniuses aren't....

Posted Image

#3 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:31 AM

Not quite sure why the Ivy Archers got Marksman/2 truthfully, I'm not sure it suites the Crusaders to have the only grunt archer in the game that can toss 3 arrows a turn at you, given the previous dismal performance Ivy Archers used to routinely put forwards; still, I'm not raising a stink, as I think they are pointed correctly given their abilities.

Brannor + Ian + 3 Ivy Archers + 3 Knights + 2 Ironspines seems like a nice tidy little all-rounder type unit to me, add a few spells (Cure 2, 2xIce Shards)and you can still come in under 400 points.

Two of those Brannor troops, and Acacia + Ivy Archer + 2 Knights + 2 Ironspines rolls in at 997, just enough points for a Luckstone. Might be worth trying out anyway.

Might be more useful to try to load the two Brannor with 1-2 Bless spells instead of the Cure 2, a little fiddling could easily make that happen.

Now I just have to go out and get me some Ivy Archers to try it out, I've been avoiding them for the better part of 4 years up until now.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#4 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14655 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

The reasoning behind it is that the Crusaders took the approach that quantity will ensure success, meanwhile the Elves went for the one shot/one kill approach.

Toss a bunch of arrows into the air, and you're likely to have some of them successfully penetrate an enemy's defenses, no matter how secure.

I would have loved to see them with an even higher RAV, but let's face it, the Crusaders aren't supposed to have great Range. Those extra shots, plus the cost adjustment makes them more likely to see some use, since before, none of us ever really took them unless it was to keep an opponent honest.

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

#5 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

RAV 3-4, Marksman/1 would have made me happier and felt more fitting to me. With RAV 3 + Marksman/2 Crusaders can become a very shooty which seems slightly strange given how poor they were at ranged attacks previously. RAV 3 isn't the least bit shabby in my mind, perhaps because I'm used to using it with my Skeletons and Skeeters, to me it is just normal.

I agree, at least the Ivy Archers are going to get used (I just got 4 Archers + Acacia and Ian for my long neglected Crusaders).
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#6 rgtriplec

rgtriplec

Godlike

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

It's nice the archers got bumped. They were near useless, IMO.

I just stripped my Crusader army to be part of Reaper's big melting pot. I figure with the few games I get that something needed to go. So, I'll be beefing up my dwarfs and Reven/Nohgra at the cost of Crusaders and Necros and CAV.

It was kind of sad stripping 70+ painted figures but what can you do.

I still plan on getting the lion, Uriel and the Pegasus rider to use with my Sisters, as alternate CoH cards.

There has been off and on talk about an Angel sub-faction among forum members for as long as I've been on. If that ever happened I'd definately buy the faction back.
It's Dwarfs not Dwarves. 1500+ Warlord Armies: Dwarfs, Elves, Mercs, Reven, Goblins, Lupines, Sisters, "To be is to do"-Socrates "To do is to be"-Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Sting "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do "Yaba Daba Doo"-Fred Flintstone

#7 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14655 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

Ack, I would have traded you bare Crusaders for your painted ones if you were planning to just have em melted! :blink:
:poke:

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543

- Argentee

#8 RustyKnight

RustyKnight

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

So, how do you all feel about the Army of Justice?
I haven't played for while, so I'm kinda rusty.

#9 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14655 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

So, how do you all feel about the Army of Justice?

Works great if you happen to happen to find yourself up against an evil, and especially an evil and undead army. Still effective against other armies. And fortunately there are more evil armies in the game than good or neutral. Of the 448 Models in the game, 181 are Evil - 40% of all Models in the game.

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543

- Argentee

#10 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14655 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

A new, second edition post has been pinned, and now, this thread shall come to a close.

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543

- Argentee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users