Necropolis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14784 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

Welcome back for another year. Rise my minions. Throw off the shackles of earthy confinement and march onward to war. Sow panic in your enemies with the very sight of your ghastly flesh and bones. Once the fear has been sown, reap our enemies. Their souls will fill the Dark Font in Thule and their bodies shall serve us until they are ground into ashes and dust.

For historical reference, feel free to view the past Faction threads:
Necropolis 2007
Thule 1.2
Dark Font of Thule

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#2 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

Power packed build

Troop 1:
Judas (greater armor)
Lord Vandrian (greater armor)
3x Gargoyles

Troop 2:
Elsabeth (greater armor, lesser wepaon)
Sir Dauron (greater armor)
3x crimson knights
skeletal searman

Troop 3:
Sir Azaphran (greater armor)
Gauntfield
5x skeletal spearmen

LUCKSTONE
-----------------------------------------------
3 troops, 4 cards, 1 spy, 18 models, 1498 points

Not a lot of models but, 5 models with DV 15 +

Azaphran uses trncher to take advantage of those spearmen's reach

Gargoyles fly around with Judas

Crimson knights... well they just feed as they mow things down

#3 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

You know, ever since you pointed out those Gargoyles to me I have to say I'm pretty impressed witht he way they look, I'm a grunt guy so I'm not totally convinced that 18 models is enough in 1500 points, but I will say that list would be fun to play, which is why we play the game right?

I've been using the following to great effect, although truthfully I'm getting a little tired of using it and similar builds so I might start using the Vampires again.

Troop 1: 297pts
Kentaur
Ghouls x 6
+ Musician

Troops 2-5:
175pts each
Railor
+ Ice Shards x 2
Skeleton Archers x 2
Skeleton Warriors x 3
Skeleton Swordsman x1

LUCKSTONE 3pts

Kentaur and the Ghouls target the enemies more important models, and truthfully this is usually a bit of a sacrifice to drop the enemies primary troop down a few notches with the Ghouls attacks + Poison, the Ghoul troop often gets beat up fairly hard, but they do their job softening targets up, and they have a 40% chance of standing back up when they go down.

The other 4 troops are used to slowly pick away at the enemy, they probably don't seem very impressive, but the number of spells and arrows they can huck down field, along with the Skellies ability to hold the enemy up and slowly pick away usually works wonders, even if I need pretty high to-hit numbers I have enough models that I tend to score a fair few important blows. The Railors and the archers can usually make short work of the models that the Ghouls have hurt.

The real pluses of this army is that if I lose a particular model it isn't of much concern, as there is no models that is of great importance or that I am relying upon. That being said the lack of any real hard hitter can be just as detrimental. Still, I've found the combination pretty nasty on the field.

If I was to bulk the build up to 1500/1501 I'd probably just add a single troop, likely Rhasia + Aysa + 6 Zombies and a standard, I think I could squeeze that in for 500 points.

Troop 1: 572pts
Rhasia
Aysa
+Greater Familiar
+Counterspell
+Shell of the Coffin
+Firestorm
+Ice Blast x 2
Zombies x5
Skeleton Swordsmen x4
Skeleton Archers x2
+ Musician

Troop 2: 297pts
Kentaur
Ghouls x 6
+ Musician

Troops 3-6:
157pts each
Railor
+ Ice Shards x 2
Skeleton Archers x 2
Skeleton Warriors x 3

LUCKSTONE 3pts

I'd consider dropping a pair of skeleton warriors to Give Rhasia GMA, and I'd likely use the leftover 6 points to give Aysa or one of the Railors another spell (wind blast or shockwave)
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#4 Brushmaster

Brushmaster

Deity of Brushlicking and Drybrushing

• Black Lightning
  • 3683 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yeh SE , we've seen that first list work very effectively , haven't we . ::P:
Just remember - Your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!!

"The fortunes of war are always doubtful" - Seneca

Law of Tactical Unreliability
Tactical geniuses aren't....

Posted Image

#5 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Go the Necropolis!

Wanna see something really kewl?

Troop 1:
358pts
Kentaur
+ Magic Weapon
Banshee x 2
+ Chilling Aura x 2
Skeleton warriors x6

Troops 2-4: 212 pts each
Railor
+ Ice Shards x 2
Banshee
+ Chilling Aura
Skeleton Warriors x4

LUCKSTONE 3

Its a one trick pony, but boy is that trick ever potent; might feel a bit dirty using it, it would be easily countered, but the first time someone ran up against it they could be in a world of hurt if unprepared. Banshee X-Fire!
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#6 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

Troop 1: 361pts
Kentaur
Malek
+ Lesser Familiar
+ Fireball
+ Ice Shards x 2
Malek
+ Lesser Familiar
+ Fireball
+ Ice Shards x 2
Skeleton warriors x6
Skelton Archer

Troops 2-4: 213 pts each
Railor
+ Ice Shards x 2
Malek
+ Lesser Familiar
+ Fireball
+ Ice Shards x 2
Skeleton Warriors x3
Skeleton Archer

With Malek now part of the Crypt Legion he bring a pretty big Healing element to the Necropolis Force, in fact so does Railor, 8 models on the table capable of healing isn't anything to complain about (too bad there isn't all the much on the board worth healing, bumping up to 1500 and adding Rhasia + Ghouls would give you many possibilities)

Like most of the other Skelly heavy builds I make the skeletons are speed bumps to hold the enemy up, and the Mages and Ranged attackers are there to do a fair bit of the critical work.

#7 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

those look mean for sure. My problem is I like to have a mix of big and small. I just cant play with all small stuff.

#8 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, I'm quickly becoming a bit bored with the little guys, they are effective but it is nice to have a powerhouse like Dauron on the field because they are simply fun to use, still in either the Banshee or Malek heavy builds you could swap out the two Elites in Malek's troop and field Dauron. The big problem is that if you want to field Crypt Legion you lose out on most of the best Elite heavy hitting characters the Necropolis have (Gauntfield, Vandrian, Osric and the casting power of Naomi are lost to you).

One other thing I will say, is games with mob tactics tend to take longer, although I'm getting fairly quick as I have a decent routine down these days.

Skelly heavy armies can be fairly forgiving because you can make the odd mistake and afford to lose models, but they do take some work and a decent idea of what the models are capable of.

On the flip side, playing a mob army can be fun once in a while as well too.

#9 Maleko

Maleko

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

Hello. It's been a while since I last logged on here. I was wondering if you guys would recommend any leader models to me. Right now, I have Judas with Malek to back him up (but he isn't a leader however). Otherwise I just got a whole bunch of skellies. Also, do they have any nifty solos, for example, the bone horror (and if that thing isn't nifty then please, lead me in the right direction)? Again, I'm still very new to this game trying to get my friend interesting in playing with me, and a good undead collection really would strike his fancy. Thanks :D

#10 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

Well it depends what direction you want to take your army.

Leaders:

Moandain: One of the top 2 or 3 casters in the game (probably second only to the Witch Queen), high armor gives him the ability to defend himself mores than any other caster. Access to some decent Necropolis spells, if you want a power mage he is your guy.

Rhasia: Cheapest Warlord in the game, if you need or want a Warlord but you're tight on points take her, she is essentially a Captain with Warlord credentials. If you want to field large numbers of Zombies and Ghouls she can do it in spades.

Elsabeth: Your most powerful Captain, she has more attacks along with better defenses and combat abilities than any other leader in your army besides Judas, she isn't cheap but she is very effective, and a Vampire to boot! If I plan to use Vampires but can't afford Judas then Elsabeth is my girl.

Kentaur: Truthfully Kentaur is my favorite Necropolis Leader for two reasons, Tactician and 2 Elite slots. While he doesn't have a huge DV, and is a bit vulnerable with only 4 damage tracks he is fairly cheap for what you get and can hold your own. If I'm not taking a Warlord he is almost always at the head of my Crypt Legion builds.

Lord Gauren: The only thing going for this guy is that he is cheap, non-unique, and has 2 Elite slots, he allows you to bring a huge number of Elites tot eh field or allows you to save point when you need a bargain Captain. He isn't a bad buy, but don't expect miracles from him, he needs to be supported.

Azarphan: Possibly the Necropolis' intended default Captain, slightly better than Kentaur in terms of abilities (higher DV and one for damage track) but not quite as flexible. He is a solid Captain at a decent price, you can't go wrong taking him.

Eikar: Truthfully I've never used him, but Crypt Bats are better than they used to be given that they can now use Vampiric feeding, he would probably be an excellent choice if the Crypt Bat soldiers didn't stink so much.

Ghast: This guys is alright, I know I like Ghouls having used them on a couple occassions to great effect, and he is a pumped up Ghoul. He has low DV though. Hard to say whether I would use him regularly.

Sir Gadrun: Your only Cavalry leader, if you want to use Deathriders I'd take him, otherwise I'd leave him on the sidelines

Railor: My #1 Necropolis leader choice, you can't beat a non-unique sergeant with an Elite slot, who has spellcasting abilities as well. Slap 1-3 cheapy spells on him and use him to pick off low MD models.

Sir Athak: This guys is probably pretty under rated in my books, he is a Sgt with the abilities of many Captains (just compare him to Azarphan and Kentaur) I haven't used him as much as I should have. I think he is a quality model and you can never baulk at his Vampiric feeding ability.

The Grave Horror is probably my favorite Solo in the army, but I'm not one to field many Solos.

#11 Krztoff

Krztoff

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1452 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Quick question:

In the RC08 it lists Zombies as grunts in the default and Crypt Legion lists, but the data card on that document and ReaperGames shows the Zombie as an adept. Since even the Burrowing Zombie gets changed to grunt in an all Crypt Legion list, I'm assuming the regular Zombie gets grunt status, but I just want a confirmation on that.

Thanks!
Posted Image

SaintRigger: HALT! Hammerzeit!
Me: if zeit means time, i hope you die

You will learn as much from mistakes as you will from failures. -Qwyk

TBH by usual internet standards krztoff is a big fluffy bunny of love and hugs who wants to give Jesus great big warm cuddles. -smokingwreckage

#12 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

Good catch, in RC07 Zombies were Adepts but changed to Grunts in Crypt Legion.

I think this likely remains the same (possibly) and that the models that change from Adept to Grunt in RC08 should read Zombies not burrowing zombies, but that is just my opinion.

#13 Gus Landt

Gus Landt

Godlike

• Members
  • 5087 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

Yikes! Good Catch! What was supposed to have happened was that everything would be the same as in 07, except Burrowing Zombies would also be Grunts in the Crypt Legion. Both types of Zombies are Adepts, and become Grunts in the Crypt Legion sublist. The mistake was that regular Zombies got dropped from the 'Models that change From Adept to Grunt' list.

I should be able to get this corrected in the layed-out version.
“There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way” - C.S. Lewis "I'm not sure God wants us to be happy. I think he wants us to love, and be loved. But we are like children, thinking our toys will make us happy and the whole world is our nursery. Something must drive us out of that nursery and into the lives of others, and that something is suffering." - C.S. Lewis

#14 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:00 AM

Thank you Sir!

#15 Krztoff

Krztoff

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1452 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Gus. I was worried for a while there that my zombie horde idea wouldn't be doable, and that would make me sad. I like zombies a little bit. Kinda. Sorta.

*points to avatar*
Posted Image

SaintRigger: HALT! Hammerzeit!
Me: if zeit means time, i hope you die

You will learn as much from mistakes as you will from failures. -Qwyk

TBH by usual internet standards krztoff is a big fluffy bunny of love and hugs who wants to give Jesus great big warm cuddles. -smokingwreckage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users