• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

I recently painted Dorva for the current campaign my D&D group is running. In the game her name is Dryzta (Yes, it is taken from Drizzt who is one of my heroes :blush: ) and she's a half-drow fighter. Her story is quite interesting!

This is prior to me basing her. I varnished her a while back when I painted her and it took all the shimmer away :( but alas, here she is!

Any tips on how I can better her would be wonderful!

Dryzta2.png Dryzta3.png

I really like how her shield came out! I used a turquoise paint and darkened it for shadow within the creases of her "skirt". Also, I used boltgun metal paint to paint in shadow on her armor, which is primarily chain metal. The scimitar is primarily chain metal with a mithril silver highlighting the blade. Her eyes are bright blue (though you can't see them in these pictures sadly) and she has crimson lipstick on for that 'feminine' feel.

I also painted Tolzar for a friend that is in my D&D group. He plays a Cleric of Lethander named "Doc" and this is his current upgrade. He wanted the figure to wear sky blue robes that looked a bit worn. I added the symbol of Lethander on his shield the best I could. Can someone give me tips on how to do symbols like that better? All I had in front of me was the Forgotten Realms book and his shield. I think it came out ok for a first time.

Tolzar is not based yet. I'm looking for ideas as to what kind of base would look good on him. His eyes are blue and I think they came out rather well, but alas I still need to work on eyes for figures anyway.

Doc2.png Doc.png

Again, any pointers would be so greatly appreciated! Thank you so much! :)

#2 Ishil

Ishil

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:18 AM

Some quick thoughts. The pictures are quite clear, but need to be larger so we can get a better view. Take a back shot as well. You've painted her armour all in silver. There is quite a bit of detail there, and using some other colours would bring it out much better. At least you are using shadow, but it needs to be more obvious. Also darklining, to separate the different parts of armour and detail. Her armour is a bit fiddly, but it has plenty of detail that can stand out.

You've painted her ears light blue?
Fix her to a base. If you don't want to cut off the attached base you can glue it to a larger base, and blend in the height with green stuff, pumice paste or similar. Putting on some flock or static grass would help.

All the information you could want has already been said, somewhere in the forums, but this is a start.

Ishil
Jesus loves you. But not that much.

#3 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Some quick thoughts. The pictures are quite clear, but need to be larger so we can get a better view. Take a back shot as well. You've painted her armour all in silver. There is quite a bit of detail there, and using some other colours would bring it out much better. At least you are using shadow, but it needs to be more obvious. Also darklining, to separate the different parts of armour and detail. Her armour is a bit fiddly, but it has plenty of detail that can stand out.

You've painted her ears light blue?
Fix her to a base. If you don't want to cut off the attached base you can glue it to a larger base, and blend in the height with green stuff, pumice paste or similar. Putting on some flock or static grass would help.

All the information you could want has already been said, somewhere in the forums, but this is a start.

Ishil

Ack! I must have made a typo. Her eyes are light blue :) As for the armor, at the time I didn't know about dark lining :) Though in non-picture form she looks awesome. I did base her. I greenstuffed around the primary base to make it look like she's on a bunch of rocks in the desert and it looks pretty neat. I'm quite proud of the base :D I'll definitely darkline the armor if I paint her again. I had a feeling I wasn't giving the armor enough justice because it is quite elaborate in some areas.

Armor color wise I just learned that I can dry brush color on to bring out contrast, so I'll use that on her next go around. I do have flock, where can one buy static grass? :)

#4 Ishil

Ishil

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

You didn't make a typo. Looking at the picture, she clearly has blue ears.

Ishil

#5 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 8667 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Try a slightly darker metallic for the armor instead of bright silver, unless there's a specific reason for the bright silver. Then give the metallic paint a dark wash. When the wash is dry, lightly drybrush the highpoints with the bright silver. That will bring out the detail in the armor.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#6 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

You didn't make a typo. Looking at the picture, she clearly has blue ears.

Ishil

Those are barrettes. :) They there's only 1 I believe :)

#7 Ishil

Ishil

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

In the smaller picture, on the right, there's a glimpse of blue on the other side of her head. And besides, I've painted her myself, and I'm really sure they're ears...

Ishil

#8 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

In the smaller picture, on the right, there's a glimpse of blue on the other side of her head. And besides, I've painted her myself, and I'm really sure they're ears...

Ishil

That's fine. When I painted, I thought it was a barette and so I painted it as such. To each their own :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users