• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2057 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

This is possibly my favorite paint-up to date (1.5 years of painting, give-or-take)...I like this sculpt's personality, too.

I loved working with the folds in his coat. This is the first time I've ever "gotten" the whole shading/highlighting/layering thing on a mini, partially because the folds in the sculpt have an angular quality similar to my own 2D drawing style...so now I can't wait to apply what I've finally figured out to a much more flowy Klocke or Garrity sculpt from Reaper.

As always, it looks better in person...shadows are less "hard" than in the photo, for example. But enough excusing. Here 'tis:

Attached Images

• reinholdtmulti.jpg

Index of my Show-Off minis.

My sporadic workbench. Right now: Dwarfs. 35 pts of Legion of Everblight (21/35 complete, 1 warlock). RP Draconians Box Set.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#2 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 16762 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

Isn't it great when a technique "clicks"? I still remember my "Holy carp! I can BLEND!" moment from 3-4 years ago.

"You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up."

Gallery of Froggyness

irc.sorcery.net #reaper

Wonderland No More

#3 chika

chika

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

Again great paint job. I like this little fella alot. It really is great when ideas start to "click" when you are working on a mini.

#4 vhaidra

vhaidra

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:35 PM

Looks great. I also remember when I first time got Layering I was sooooo happy and felt relieved because a couple of months before I had thought that I never will get it. Congrats. Try to use a darker background for your pictures because the darker the background, the lighter the picture will get. Yours is too dark because you use white as the background. Dark Grey as background works best.

#5 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9121 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

Looks great! Lots of personality to the little bugger.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#6 Hinton

Hinton

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

Good-looking mini; nice paint job. It's fun when you finally do something that you couldn't do before. It's a great feeling.

#7 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2057 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

thanks, folks.
I was really happy with the way this guy came out, and it's nice to hear other people tell me I'm not crazy for thinking he looks half-decent.
vhaidra, I mentioned over in my wip thread that I'll try a darker backdrop for my next photos. we'll see if that helps.
sarge, the personality in the sculpt is what drew me in...although PP has some really nice, elaborate and fun-to-paint stuff, Reinholdt here is the first one I've seen that seems like something more than a game piece to me.

Index of my Show-Off minis.

My sporadic workbench. Right now: Dwarfs. 35 pts of Legion of Everblight (21/35 complete, 1 warlock). RP Draconians Box Set.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users