• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#16 vutpakdi

vutpakdi

Knight-Errant

• Black Lightning
  • 2807 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

I just bought the starter set of Warlord, wondering on ideas to expand theNecropolis in the box to 1000. Any good ideas for builds. I am lost.

With the Deluxe Warlord Starter (with rulebook, Crusader minis, and Necropolis minis), some good minis to get are:
  • 1 or 2 Railors (sgts)
  • 3 Wraith Harvesters
  • 3-5 Skeletal Archers
  • 3 or so Crimson Knights
  • Kaena
  • Aysa
  • Nivar
At some point, you will probably want to decide if you want to go the standard Necropolis route (with vampires) or Crypt Legion route (no vampires). The minis in the deluxe starter can go either way other than Naomi. The faction abilities will likely change somewhat, so I wouldn't worry about them just yet (especially since you probably don't have the Crypt Legion faction abilities anyway since they are in the Necropolis faction book). In a few months, the Krueger's Journal for 2007 will be released, and you'll have access to the revised faction abilities.

Ron

You'll also want to get the pre-layout version of the 2007 Rage Chronicles since they update the Special Abilities and Data Cards.

Ron

#17 velvetlinedbox

velvetlinedbox

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

I just bought the starter set of Warlord, wondering on ideas to expand theNecropolis in the box to 1000. Any good ideas for builds. I am lost.

With the Deluxe Warlord Starter (with rulebook, Crusader minis, and Necropolis minis), some good minis to get are:
  • 1 or 2 Railors (sgts)
  • 3 Wraith Harvesters
  • 3-5 Skeletal Archers
  • 3 or so Crimson Knights
  • Kaena
  • Aysa
  • Nivar
At some point, you will probably want to decide if you want to go the standard Necropolis route (with vampires) or Crypt Legion route (no vampires). The minis in the deluxe starter can go either way other than Naomi. The faction abilities will likely change somewhat, so I wouldn't worry about them just yet (especially since you probably don't have the Crypt Legion faction abilities anyway since they are in the Necropolis faction book). In a few months, the Krueger's Journal for 2007 will be released, and you'll have access to the revised faction abilities.

Ron

You'll also want to get the pre-layout version of the 2007 Rage Chronicles since they update the Special Abilities and Data Cards.

Ron

The building of is what got me confused, thanks for the help
Adrian

#18 rustybolt

rustybolt

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

Well i just picked up and put together my first warlord mini. Man that crypt horror is one serious chunk of metal. I'm picking up the warlord book sometime today from my flgs. Only took em 2 weeks to get the damn thing. I'm looking forward to burning through the rules to get a better idea of army builds before i buy any of the other necro armies. If ya'll have any suggestions on what to get i'm more then ready to listen. I was thinking of grabbing two of the boxed sets....the one with the skelly grunts and vamp warlord and then the athak and crimson knights one. Any suggestions on what i can get to round that army out or what won't work together?

Later
Posted Image

#19 Rastl

Rastl

Goddess of Shiny Things

• Bones Supporter
  • 2497 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

OK - I'm officially confused. There's no cleric in this faction? Undead don't get healed? Wassup with that?
Consistency and dedication are the hallmarks of -- oo! Shiny!
Nobody likes stompy mechenbooty. - Krztoff
Indulge me and visit my blog: RastlWorld
p.s. LOOK! I was the ANTI-RASTL! Only 20 words! - Anne
28mm troops with a difference .. or two. RastlWorldMinis

#20 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15011 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

Necropolis have Mage spells that provide healing. Vampires can feed on corpses for healing.
You have healing, just not the holy roller save me gods, since well, you're pretty much a godless Faction.

Draining Touch, Life Drain.

Now granted those effect your casters. But well. You're a big huge hoarde of cheap skelly fodder, and can Cast Undying Host for a bunch of cheap free fodder. And then you have some nice big guys to clean up the messes the Fodder leave.

Darkspawn also lack Clerics, and they don't even have access to Draining Touch and Life Drain. Nor do they have Vampires.

It's just one of those things that makes you evil types different.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#21 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

Darkspawn do have paincage however!

Vampires can feed, as Qwyk said and the Crypt Legion sub-faction can employ Necomantic Surges which heals them.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#22 Ranzadule

Ranzadule

Modlike

• Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:19 AM

Judas is too mighty to require healing!!!!!
KOMITATUS

#23 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Granted, you can always take a freelance force and include clerics, but truthfully Necromantic Surges, and Vampiric healing are likely a far better option.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#24 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15011 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

Granted, you can always take a freelance force and include clerics, but truthfully Necromantic Surges, and Vampiric healing are likely a far better option.

I'd actually love to see Cure spells changes so that they do not heal damage to Models with SA: Undead, just to avoid that bit of cheese. It would be even cooler if they could also be used to cause equivalent damage to Undead instead.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#25 Ranzadule

Ranzadule

Modlike

• Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

I play a lot of Necropolis, Nefsokar and Razig and I'd be for those changes as they are cool!
KOMITATUS

#26 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

I like the idea of them not working, I'd have to think about it if they were to damage Undead models instead. Makes Cure spells awefully flexible, and I think we'd end up only seeing CUre spells in army lists that were to face undead heavy forces, which is a bit bland and makes CUre spells a little too flexible. THe concept is cool however.

My only problem with this notion is the Nefsokar, they are a Divine army, Sokar should be able to heal them. Many of them are undead with the Healer ability, and many of them are undead with clerical abilities.

Granted you could make that a faction ability:

Grace of Sokar:
Models in a Nefsokar army are not considered to have the Undead ability with regards to the use of Cure spells and the Healer ability, damage tracks are removed through the use of these actions as per their description. Enemy models may still use Cure spells to damage Nefsokar models with the Undead ability.

Either that or you could have Nefsokar versions of the CUre spells that work on Undead.

On the otherhand, I assume this banter arises from a D&D type perspective, and remember that Inflict spells heal undead with Negative energy, so there is no reason to assume that clerics that use Cure spells on Undead models arn't doing this very thing.

THe notion is cool, but it is more complicated than just making CUre and Healer not work against undead, I'm happy with the way things work now. Truthfully I could care less about Freelance armies, I've never played against one and I likely won't ever unless I attend some sort of tourney. It isn't unbalancing for them to heal undea, because as I said they lose Vampiric feeding and Necro Surges which are far better.

#27 kristof65

kristof65

Captain of the Sky Pirates

• Bones Supporter
  • 6791 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

I don't like the thought of the cure spells affecting the Undead as damage. I don't mind Cure not working on the SA: Undead. However, there should then be a spell that essentially replaces Cure for Undead models - Re-energize Undead, or something like that.

This would allow a Necro army to be on the same footing as a Crusader/Dwarf/etc army when it comes to being able to heal their own troops. However, it would require mixed forces of undead and living creatures to have two seperate spells in order to heal their toops, which I find quite acceptable.

The other alternative is to have Cure damage models with SA:Undead, but then also make an offensive spell called Harm, and allow it to cure undead, as well as damage living foes.

My Blog - Warming: May be political

Please check out my wife's Stained Glass page:
KAH Designs

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Member of the ReaperBryan Fan Club.[/font]

#28 Ranzadule

Ranzadule

Modlike

• Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

If you were to have healing spells or undead, they sould be something for which you would need corpse tokens from living models, slain in that battle. Maybe like bandage only that you'd need a corpse within a certain range.

I'd prefer a Quicken Dead spell giving one or more undead an additional action or non-combat action during their activation or maybe a move or swing on the caster's activation.

All this aside, I thik things are pretty good as they are, but additional tomes of magic are bound to surface...
KOMITATUS

#29 Lord Baasen

Lord Baasen

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 2070 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

Judas is too mighty to require healing!!!!!

... and he can fly!!!!
BL MI002

"Shut Up Mister Burton. You are not brought upon this World to get it ."
"Uh-huh, Judas [good eye, Pete!] can Fly, how COOL is that?"
Naomi is a beacon of light and joy, who can never be faulted. There I said it, can you now roll something better than a 3.

#30 Ranzadule

Ranzadule

Modlike

• Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

AND he can move more than 3" on the GROUND!!!!!!

But he still has no bloodlust...
KOMITATUS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users