• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6555 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

Dig. I like Rackham for what I call the "Rackhamesque" look. They did take some heat over the paintjobs and the plastics, but overall they are good.

Reaper seems to be doing the right thing by being totally up front wth the customers. I completely take you for granted!
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#17 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Wizard of Wavicles

• Members
  • 4445 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

OK, this has been bugging me since this thread went up:

Why is the comparison odious?

#18 Erion

Erion

Paragon of Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5340 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:57 AM

Rackham will actually tell you which pictures are factory paints and which ones are studio paints in their newsletters.
Providing A Public-Access Repository of Useless Knowledge since 1973.

A flaw in the human character is that everyone wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance."
--Kurt Vonnegut

"The greatest enemy of your creative powers is smug complacency -- being satisfied with less than what you are capable of doing." --Nido Qubein

#19 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6555 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

You've undoubtedly heard the expression, so this is no different. Whenever you compare similar miniatures from different manufacturers, you usually get posts running the gamut from "I hate Rackham," to X company's are better than Y's, etc.

So far this thread has been pretty level headed.

#20 morganm

morganm

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:35 PM

The Rackham plastics you see on their site have been re-painted by their studio painters; I believe if you nose around you will find a statement to that effect. They actually took some flack over that when they first started releasing stuff, to the tune that their promotional models were painted way above and beyond the actual paint jobs on the plastics so people were not getting what they were expecting. That said, the first batch of Rackham pre-paints were cleanly done, quite nice. Just not quite up to a studio paint job from some of the best painters in the industry!! :lol:

--Anne ::):

I was wondering if that was the case as I surfed around to different sites. They do look way too good to be true. Kinda gave it a way when almost every site had the same exact photos with the blue/white gradient background. http://images.google.com can turn up some of the actual figures.
Posted Image

#21 DjinnWing

DjinnWing

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

You can find images on www.boardgamegeek.com:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 DARK ELF

DARK ELF

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

dont all the companies have the master paints for their promo photo shoots?
"Hold fast to the truth, for the truth is a pillar. a steadfast pillar that all that all the world cannot shake"

#23 BKBass

BKBass

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

I own PPP from both company's and love both! In general the Rackham sculpts and paint jobs appeal to me more consistently but they are way more fragile than the Reaper stuff. I use the purple worm and the Minotaur in warlord, and can just throw them in my bag with out ever worrying if they will break.

My favorite thing about the Reaper stuff is that you pay for the mini, not the value of the mini in the game. For example Rackham prices their PPP based on the point value of the character in Confrontation, so I paid the same price for 2 minis that I paid for 5 minis.
Chronicle of the Void, your next Sci-Fi RPG! Click the Pic!
Posted Image

#24 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6555 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

Dig, BK. I've bought some of Rackham's and Reaper's, and I know how the pricing is set so I can't complain. I hadn't seen their knights before. They look good.

#25 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10348 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

dont all the companies have the master paints for their promo photo shoots?

We do have our master paints in photo, but the pictures we show on the website are all production pictures, of production models.

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#26 DARK ELF

DARK ELF

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

just got some of these,very nice. great for WFRP! but i still love Reaper,for my AD&D!!
"Hold fast to the truth, for the truth is a pillar. a steadfast pillar that all that all the world cannot shake"

#27 NickT

NickT

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

A lot of Rackham's stuff looks good, I was given a a rackham wolven by a friend trying the 'get 'em hooked' approach and while the mini is lovely the price could land me an new CAV..ordered from my FLGS no nifty online discounty goodness. And as I am a DM I love inexpensive mini that are NOT PACKAGED RANDOMLY... Sorry I could rant on the D&D minis for a long long time but reaper has always done right by me. SO I'll stay here...and because my guilty pleasure is here...

"...Personally, I blame Doombunny."

My humble art site: http://nickt.deviantart.com
Freelance Art Comissions Availible

www.arcticon.webs.com
Plays: CAV2; playtest C:SO
-Basic D&D, Basic D&D Modern Variant, Magic, CBT

#28 DARK ELF

DARK ELF

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

good call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users