RotD US Officer?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 cutebutpsycho

cutebutpsycho

Purple Pirate Fairy Princess

• 2359 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

My reference is a first person interview with multiple Ranger officers, in particular Lieutenant Robert T. Edlin of 2A and Captain Charles "Ace" Parker of 5A.

#17 mercoutlaw

mercoutlaw

Uber-Mensch

• Black Lightning
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:38 PM

Re: inteviewing veterans. My question is HOW many veterans were interviewed, and does that constitute a statistically significant amount? The problem with recollections is that memory is not perfect; the police have ths issue whenever they interview eye-witnesses. It becomes even more problematic some 50 or 60 years after the fact. If it was just one individual, then as my history prof used to say "anecdote is not singular for evidence."

Lastly, re: the 135:1 ratio. What methodology is used here? throwing out ratios without details on methodology is problematic, in that I have NO IDEA how how derived that figure. Just divide total production by total personnel in the Army (not particularly rigorous IMHO)? What would be a better methodology is to estimate the number of infantry combat troops during a given time period (there were approx 230 infantry regiments at the theoretical peak of US Army combat strength, of which some were Airborne regiments, and some were armored infantry regiments; this is derived from the fact there were approx 98 divisions active in the army in WWII, with 3 infantry regiments per infantry division, less per Armored divisions). What sort of conclusion do we come to then?

Damon.

Damon, you can lose the attitude, my friend. Nobody attacked you, I would expect the same respect. I would rather us be allies than enemies, but that is up to you. You asked a question and I answered. How many Veterans you ask? Literally hundreds as I am very active in Veteran's affairs and re-enacting where accuracy is taken very seriously. As far as the ratio, I took the numbers directly from the library of congress. It was a direct quote of Thompson sales from the Quartermaster General's purchasing log and U.S. Department of defense spending budget during the war.

If you choose to be insulting (In your humble opinion) that reflects on you, not me. I did not come to argue, I said you could take it or leave it. I was in no way implying that you had to take my word for it, by all means investigate. I would rather people actually question than to blindly accept.

Also, as someone with a BA in history I would assume you went to a reputable institution which would in no way accept information from the internet, especially a non-scholarly site as a source for any academic purposes. I was in no way getting involved in one-upmanship, merely stating that I do have some valid knowledge on the point. I am sorry that the original post has so badly deviated into something that has degenerated into an argument instead of a productive conversation.

In, short I did not want a fight, I was merely posting my knowledge on the subject to help answer a fellow gamers question, that is all. I hope he has gained something beneficial from all of this.
"Mercy," they cry, every one,
But he's got none of that.
Left a trail of blood and tears
'Til King of Hell, he sat

Posted Image

#18 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5621 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

First, I have not been insulting in this thread. On another forum the webmaster gave this advise: assume the best intentions before assuming the worst. Nonetheless, I was attacking your IDEAS not you personally.

Secondly, this is a web forum, not a dissertation. I'm not arguing a point on a masters thesis, but on a forum about WWII zombies. I use internet sources since most people interested in this subject do not have access to scholarly level sources, nor to Archive documents. Instead I wanted to post references that arew accessable to the average poster.

Lastly my reputable institution (Penn State) did not instruct me to ignore internet sources, but like ANY source needs to be judged based on the material in qestion, just like a book, etc.

Damon
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#19 mercoutlaw

mercoutlaw

Uber-Mensch

• Black Lightning
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

My final comments on this subject are as such: My Reputable institution, Purdue, does not accept sources that are open to public change and as with everything on the internet is not necessarily subject to factual scrutiny. The publication of a book, or other scholarly source is far more in depth, and paramount to accurate fact checked evidence. Of course, there are a FEW exceptions.

Your attack on my "ideas" is unfounded when the information I provided is FACTUAL. You may argue an opinion, not hard fact. I used actual sales numbers, compared the number of combat ready infantry troops in the U.S. Army and Marine Corps (as well as those issued to the Navy) and did a simple estimation on the ratio to show the rarity of the Thompson. I also took DIRECT INFORMATION from people who were there. You may wish to argue that their memories are faulty, as you inferred previously due to the 60+ years since the war, but I assure you I have more respect for those people and the memories that haunt them to this day with frightening accuracy.

I also was not inferring the worst of you, Damon. Your tone and the belittling nature in your responses was such that no other conclusion could be drawn. If you were attempting to be polite in your discussion and had avoided comments that sounded rude and degrading, perhaps I would have drawn a different conclusion. If that was not your intention, then I am glad to hear that and would ask that we move beyond it. I again encourage anyone with any disagreement with the information that either myself and/or that anyone else has posted here to please research and verify the information at hand. That is all I have to say on the subject.
"Mercy," they cry, every one,
But he's got none of that.
Left a trail of blood and tears
'Til King of Hell, he sat

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users