• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#46 Captain Murray

Captain Murray

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

I got a question too, hope it not been answered yet.

I got tons of old minis that I will never paint (I bought than like 10 years ago from a RPG store who was closing). Some are broke, some are like new and most of it are unpainted. Most of they are old pewter ones.

The question is, I don´t have even a clue from with company each one are. they all mixed up! It´s possible to bring they over and trade for something? They are collecting dust in my closet and I rather prefer to pick up some Reaper Minis :-)
Posted Image

"You may call me 'Murray'! I am a powerful demonic force! I am the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I stride through the Gates of Hell, carrying your head on a pike!"

Murray, the evil pirate skull (Curse of Monkey Island)

Some of my miniature painting works
http://atreidestm.deviantart.com/

#47 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4463 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

If you are not sure the best thing to do is just bring it. Ed or somebody with Reaper can look at it and make an executive decision. Also, there's a lot of people who will be able to ID some of your old metal figures at the con and help you sort it out. There may even be people looking for your old figures. I know last year there were a couple people digging through the traded-in pile looking for specific things people might have dumped.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#48 Captain Murray

Captain Murray

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thank´s Inarah, I will try to sort the ones in best shape and bring it on to the Con. Don´t know if any of it will worth something, but I will give it a try!
Posted Image

"You may call me 'Murray'! I am a powerful demonic force! I am the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I stride through the Gates of Hell, carrying your head on a pike!"

#49 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1329 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

It will beneat to see what you bring. There was a game in the 1990's I used to play based around a Dante's Inferno setting. It basically was armies of demons led by large avatars - think demonic Battletech scale. I think it was a Danish company. I would love to find those minis.

#50 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 6004 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

I rescued two Darksword limited edition minis from the trade-in table last year; I will be unsurprised to find other hidden gems there again this time around. :;):

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#51 Pole

Pole

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Yea the amount of people crowding around the table last year was amusing. It was a ton of fun just to dig and see what you could find, and the best part is if you came back a few hours later, you saw completely different things!

2013: 14 Minis Painted

2014 Mini Painting Goal:  Paint something :down:
Free time = 0

#52 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Members
  • 1969 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

What about metal from P-65 minis? Also what about the cold navy minis? I think they were done by Ravenstar Studios?
"The battle between Minis I Want and Money That Needs Not To Be Spent is eternal, and wearies the soul."--Nanite

"you don't buy miniatures to paint, rather you buy miniatures to daydream about painting and that you like to daydream a lot!" Ed Pugh

#53 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 13098 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

NOTE:

Looking for a Bomber Sophie. So if anyone has a extra or is gonna chuck it into the melt table, LMK!

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#54 EdPugh

EdPugh

His Reaper-ness

• 1549 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

What about metal from P-65 minis? Also what about the cold navy minis? I think they were done by Ravenstar Studios?

Have to look at Ravenstar stuff. Not familiar with them. No on P-65. I can work out a ratio for P-65 but it is not the same ratio as the tin alloy pieces.

Best
Best wishes,

Ed Pugh
Reaper Miniatures
Posted Image

"mix not nipples in a box, for they shall close their nipple thingy" Bryviticus 1:12

#55 Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm going to assume Dream Pod 9 is okay but what about Battlefront's Flames of War line? I have a lot of their new stuff and it seems to chank more than thunk.

"A war without civility can lead only to massacres" Treize Khushrenada
"The greater the sacrifice, the more glorious the triumph" Franklin D Roosevelt
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I do look like my avatar...

Wearer of the Infamous Pikachu Hat!

http://regimentalcolors.blogspot.com/

#56 Captain Murray

Captain Murray

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

the 'write' test - the mini should not make an acceptable pencil.

I make the writing test with some different minis I have (generical, GW and even a Reaper one) and all of they make a acceptable pencil when used against a piece of white paper. Any other idea how can I test my minis prior bringing it to ReaperCon? Maybe I should pick some and try my luck at the melting pot?
Posted Image

#57 Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

I heard the drop test works well. Drop the mini on a hard surface and if it 'clinks' it should be right but if it 'thunks' it is probably not acceptable. Unless you are under weight restrictions for travel, bring it anyway and give it a shot.

"A war without civility can lead only to massacres" Treize Khushrenada
"The greater the sacrifice, the more glorious the triumph" Franklin D Roosevelt
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I do look like my avatar...

Wearer of the Infamous Pikachu Hat!

http://regimentalcolors.blogspot.com/

#58 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4441 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Questions:

1) Will damaged (aka harvested for bitz) metal be accepted?

2) Will incomplete metal be accepted?

3) Do you recycle the metal afterwards or is this event strictly for trading?

4) If the metal is JUST PRIMED (w/ spray primer) does that count as "painted"?

5) Say the meta was glued when we pulled it out of the box but we remove all traces of it (and it was never primed/painted) can we still get 90%?
2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42
Bones II: #7355

#59 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6710 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Questions:

1) Will damaged (aka harvested for bitz) metal be accepted?

2) Will incomplete metal be accepted?

3) Do you recycle the metal afterwards or is this event strictly for trading?

4) If the metal is JUST PRIMED (w/ spray primer) does that count as "painted"?

5) Say the meta was glued when we pulled it out of the box but we remove all traces of it (and it was never primed/painted) can we still get 90%?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Its melted down for new miniatures
4) Yes, primed counts as painted
5) Yes

I do remember seeing people really take advantage of Reaper at the last ReaperCon. There were a lot of miniatures in there that should have failed the metal test. Reaper provides this as a service to us but they could decide to discontinue this at anytime if they aren't getting good metal from it.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#60 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4441 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I do remember seeing people really take advantage of Reaper at the last ReaperCon. There were a lot of miniatures in there that should have failed the metal test. Reaper provides this as a service to us but they could decide to discontinue this at anytime if they aren't getting good metal from it.

by "metal test" are we talking specifically about lead content...? i really want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here. I have a little.... um.... something I'm considering bringing with:
Posted Image
2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42
Bones II: #7355

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users