Jump to content


Photo

Pathfinder pbp: Howl of the Carrion King


  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 haldir

haldir

    I Don't Look Like My Avatar

  • Bones Supporter
  • 12980 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Howl of the Carrion King
Part 1 of the Pathfinder Adventure Path: Legacy of Fire
Adventure by Erik Mona
Various artwork that might be inserted into the adventure done by the following: David Bircham, Jeff Carlisle, Concept Art House, Tyler Walpole, Svetlin Velinov, and Kevin Yan

GM: haldir(me of course)

Players

Vil-hatarn: human Rogue
Talespinner: human Fighter
Kreve Lavelle: human Oracle
Qwyksilver: Sorceror (with Djini bloodline)
WanderingChild: human witch

The setting for this adventure will be:

Katapesh

As far as the expedition, you've all been hired by a semi-mysterious merchant-princess named Almah Roveshki. She being a mystery as you've never met her, nor have you heard of her. The only contact you've had is with her major domo, Garavel, a Garundi male. Acting on her behalf, he has said they you will all be paid handsomely for your participation. as his employer need strong able bodies, as she is cleaning up a mess in a small town north of here. Here, being the town of Solku, a town not the size of Katapesh but still a popular trade destination + pilgrims flock to the Sarenrae’s Lambent Citadel, a sacred holy site dedicated to the goddess, Sarenrae, goddess of the sun & redemption.

The town has been besieged by gnolls in the area, but recently they have slowed their attacks, some think the gnolls are preparing for something major, such as all out war on the walled city. The nearby small fort of Fort Longjaw, stand ready to bolster the towns defenses.

You all have been together for about a week probably more before Garavel even came up to you offered employment, that's up to you) into the journey of the caravan of camels (each of you are on a camel, but it belongs to the caravan) & other supplies heading to a destination in the northern scrubland of Katapesh, called Sultan's Claw. The caravan travels at night as the days have been hot (it is the summer season). Early evening brings the pale outline of a large mountain looming like a giant tombstone in the haze to the West, Pale Mountain, Katapesh's highest peak. Also mostly avoided by travelers as it infested with gnolls.

"Not far now." Garavel says to the party, as he wipes his eyes clean of blowing sand with the side of his keffiyeh.

The older man hasn't said much about his employer or the job that requires "clean up" during the journey, he mostly has kept to himself. Only saying when the party will stop & go & other menial tasks regarding the caravan. Luckily the party hasn't encountered any gnoll parties, apparently the Fort Longjaws patrols have kept the area free of those, but your not sure how well your luck will hold this far from civilization thou.

Feel free to discuss what your character looks like, relationships to the other players he/she might have (Again, you've been out here in the desert for a week + the time in Solku & abroad before the adventure even starts). So you've gotten to know each other at least for a week.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#2 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

    Sculptor of Stories

  • Bones Supporter
  • 5169 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

Dru's daily routine:

Day break:
- Help in breaking down the caravan for the rest period of the day.
- Set up his tent.
- Eats whatever meal the caravan provides at end of day.
- Finds a quiet spot away from others where he can go through the martial training exercises that his father taught him.
- Retires to his tent to sleep (He sleeps in his armor; refer to the Endurance feat).

Day:
- Takes his turn at watch or sleeps as required.

Evening:
- Wakes and washes, minimally.
- Eats the evening meal.
- Restocks his water skins
- Helps break the camp and get everything going again.
- Takes his position as an outlier guard.

Night:
- Rides his post, staying clear of lights so as to not ruin his night vision in the open desert



As for Garavel's employment offer, it would depend on the following:

- Will his current contract be over before Garavel's commences?
- What are the terms of the new contract, i.e., length of service, expected duties, etc...
- What is the compensation/expected compensation?
- Other benefits of the contract, such as room and board, armory service, water, mounts, etc...



Others in camp would see Dru as a withdrawn person who rarely speaks. When he does, it is usually monosyllabic and only enough to convey what he needs to convey. He is a hard worker and likes to help others with whatever physical chores they may have for him to complete, so long as it doesn't interfere with his duties to the caravan.
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

#3 Vil-hatarn

Vil-hatarn

    Godlike

  • Black Lightning
  • 1979 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

Most everyone in the caravan saw Sha'kin at some point in the first few days; the scrawny Kelish boy hanging around the camels, sharing a meal, or resting in the shade. It wasn't until the fourth day that someone realized he wasn't part of the caravan, and he was dragged before the caravan master. Not wanting to draw (more) attention to himself, Sha'kin 'agreed' to serve guard duty for the remainder of the trip (the alternative being left in the middle of the desert). He was outfitted with some spare scraps of armor and an old knife, and can occasionally be found standing guard during the day (though somehow he always ends up with the shady spots).

Those who have spoken to him find him friendly and kind-hearted, but tight-lipped about his past or what he's doing with the caravan.

#4 haldir

haldir

    I Don't Look Like My Avatar

  • Bones Supporter
  • 12980 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

Garavel doesn't say much but he always refers back to his Highness, Lady Almah. She will reward the party for their work, he is only her messenger. She will provide all the details needed for the job at hand.

Also, there is just 1 guard with Garavel along with the party in this caravan. He doesn't say much either, but he does keep a stern eye on the party.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#5 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

    Sculptor of Stories

  • Bones Supporter
  • 5169 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

Garavel doesn't say much but he always refers back to his Highness, Lady Almah. She will reward the party for their work, he is only her messenger. She will provide all the details needed for the job at hand.

Also, there is just 1 guard with Garavel along with the party in this caravan. He doesn't say much either, but he does keep a stern eye on the party.


Then I shall tentatively accept the offer, pending more information from the Lady.
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

#6 Vil-hatarn

Vil-hatarn

    Godlike

  • Black Lightning
  • 1979 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

Sha'kin, while not attracted by the money promised by Garavel, is eager to get as far away from civilization as possible at the moment; it also sounds like a better deal than his enforced guard service, so he accepts.

#7 haldir

haldir

    I Don't Look Like My Avatar

  • Bones Supporter
  • 12980 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

The carvan moves across the northern scrubland heading towards the west, while the evening is the same as the other nights, you come upon a hill, the normally solemn, no-nonsense man, Garavel says to the party.

"Not far now, Sultan's Claw & her ladyship Princess Almah." in a slighty cheery voice, or at least cheerier then usual.

The camel caravan travels over the hill & upon reaching the summit, you see in the distance, the Sultan's Claw. A craggy tree with 5 immense leaf-less branches that resembles a giant hand in a claw-like grip. You also see a 6 wagons & massive tent clustered around it. As you reach the bottom you see there is also a open pen with camels, goats & other livestock in it, thou there is a bunch that has escaped the pen, a old man & couple other people run around trying to catch the loose animals.

What is causing the commotion is obvious, one of the wagon is ablaze! There are people trying to put out the flames. Various people are running with buckets of water to try & put the flame out. You can make out the burning wagon as it looks different then the others. It's a brightly painted purple wooden wagon with gold moons & stars painted on it. Also there is a door that is on the back (it resembles a gypsy wagon). A plume of smoke rises from the open back door.

As the party approaches the camp, something floats out of the back of the burning wagon like a someone just grabbed a large sheet of paper & fanned it in your direction. These are small rectangle objects, one slightly burning floats toward Ranieer, the oracle, it hits him in the chest & drops to the ground. It's a playing card, the image on the card is of a twisting cyclone. The card succumbs to the fire on it & burns away into ash.

Something explodes in the distance, drawing yourself from the card, it's the tree, Sultan's Claw it is ablaze!

Suddenly the flap of the tent opens & a regal looking woman, who can only be Almah. She is dressed in a long white robe with gold accents starts shouting & pointing at the wooden wagon--

"Douse that fire!"

She also sees the tree is on fire,

"Douse the flame on the Claw as well, before it spreads to the other wagons!"

You can see she is looking around & shouting out commands,

"Round up the livestock!"

As she is looking around she eyes the party & Garavel,

"Ah, Garavel! You've returned, & just a moment later than the nick of time, as usual.”

You see she is now looking at the party, she says

"Find a way to help!"


(& away we go!)

Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#8 Vil-hatarn

Vil-hatarn

    Godlike

  • Black Lightning
  • 1979 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

This is not what I signed up for! Sha'kin thinks to himself as the imperious princess shouts commands. Regardless, he quickly assesses the situation. Lacking any brilliant solutions for the fire, or the strength to carry a worthwhile amount of water, he tries to help round up the animals, leading them towards a safe area away from the fires.

Handle Animal 10+3 = 13

#9 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

    Sculptor of Stories

  • Bones Supporter
  • 5169 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:30 AM

What is the orientation of the burning wagon? Is the tongue on fire? If not, could a strong man/men pull it away from the other wagons/tree, into the open desert

Dru assesses the situation (Wis Check: 17 + 0 = 17)

If he thinks he can approach it and pull it away, he will try that, yelling for any around to help him (Str Check: 11 + 4 = 15).

If not, follow the lead of any who are dousing the fires. Perhaps grab a shovel from the caravan supply wagon and start shoveling sand onto the fire.

He also has Endurance which should help him withstand being near the heat, for a little while at least.
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

#10 haldir

haldir

    I Don't Look Like My Avatar

  • Bones Supporter
  • 12980 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

Sha'kin

You rush over to the where most of the animals have gathered. There is a old man & a middle aged woman try & herd the various frightened animals back into the pen. You rush over to a camel, you try to bring it back to the pen, but the animals skirts away from you & goes further away from the pen.

Dru

You move toward the burning wagon, Garavel moves toward the burning wagon as well. You see various men & women dressed in a distinctive red chitin-plate armor (the armor of the Pactmaster Guard) moving about with buckets of water from anther wagon with a large wooden barrel, 20 feet away, throwing it onto the wagon. Their efforts aren't quenching the flames as the wagon is totally engulfed right now. The bucket brigade might work if more people were in line to help quench the fire.

You don't think moving the wagon would be a wise idea right about now, it appears to be a total loss.

As you look at the situation thou, you do see anther wagon, this one with a large canvas covering some crates, barrels & other various goods that are probably vital to the camp/expedition that if not moved could go up in flames. You see 4 mercenaries trying to move it. You rush in to help them, using your added strength, you help push it far enough away that any random sparks flying from the wagon will not reach it. The mercs are thankful for the help. One is smelly fellow with long hair & wears ragged clothing. The man reeks like he has taken a bath in weeks. As he walks away, you notice a slight limp.

Situation at the camp (this is what is going on)


Gypsy like wagon is engulfed in flames, burning badly.

Animals are frightened & are out of their pen.

Vital Supply wagon too close to the burning wagon

Sultan's Claw (the tree) is on fire. Potential for spreading the fire more throughout the camp, but not a priority, at least compared to the burning wagon.

There are 2 people, a man & woman lying down on the ground, there is old man kneeling down tending to 1 of them, the man. Both are in pain due to being burned by blazing wagon. You do see the woman appears to be dying from her wounds, but the old man is busy with the man trying to stablize him.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#11 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

    Sculptor of Stories

  • Bones Supporter
  • 5169 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

Having no skill in healing, I say a silent prayer for the woman to whatever gods may be listening and then join the bucket brigade to try to get the wagon put out.
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

#12 Wanderingchild

Wanderingchild

    Mostly Harmless

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

A tall and elegant young woman walks up to the fire. With a cheerful smile she snaps her fingers and says “Maru, fetch some water, please.” (OOC: Unseen servant)


Yuko-san is dressed in a full-length black gown with long flowing sleeves, decorated with hundreds of detailed shimmering butterflies. Teal beads encrust the silver sash around her wait. Her long black hair is wrapped around a large intricate hairpiece, also dripping strands of teal beads. A large, decorated necklace wraps itself around her shoulders and frames her face. In one hand she carries a tall staff, and in the other, a long smoking pipe.


#13 Vil-hatarn

Vil-hatarn

    Godlike

  • Black Lightning
  • 1979 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

"Come on you stubborn animal, I'm only trying to help." Sha'kin mutters to himself. Approaching the camel carefully, he tries once again to lead it back to the pen.

Handle Animal 15+3 = 18

#14 Kreve Lavelle

Kreve Lavelle

    Mostly Harmless

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

Ranieer, a youngish male dressed in light desert traveling gear arrived on a horse of all things and then sold it with all it's tack & harness, a very ornate and heavily padded riding saddle in almost new condition to the first person he sees for far less than it is all worth and ran to catch up to get the last camel of the caravan.
He places the saddle bags and small pack on the camel and pulls the hood over his face to fasten the cloth portions over his face to protect from sun & sand. He sits with his spear across his lap. He is wearing seemingly new traveling cloths high boots, gloves and a hat with the feather of a rare bird affixed to it, which he stores in one of his saddle bags. He hears a short sword at his waist.

In the week of traveling Raineer is someone who is easy to talk with, jokes and tries to make light of any tense situation. He will do whatever he can not to do any physical work. In fact, when you consider this over that week, you have not seen him do much of anything related to the caravan, unless there was no other way but to help. If a tent needed to be put up in order to sleep in it, he was the absolute last person to help set it up. He has the air of expecting others to do these tasks for him. He is not rude or unkind just expectant of others.
He never leaves the spear further away than a couple feet and he often raises his hand to his chest and fingers something beneath with a distant look. His packs contain light bulky items. He seems to brood on something and overly distracted by something but over the span of the week he seems to master this more and more and become filled with some kind of steely resolve. It is almost frightening to make eye contact with him after he is finished fingering whatever is beneath the clothing of his chest and as quickly as that his expression softens when he realizes something and seems to return to his more pleasant self.
A bow is the ultimate way to reach out and tell your enemies how you feel about them.

#15 Kreve Lavelle

Kreve Lavelle

    Mostly Harmless

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

After arriving at the caravan and seeing the chaos of what is going on, the running animals, wagons burning and the tree ablaze he sits there seemingly stunned for a moment and then jerks as the Almah starts shouting.

He dismounts from the camel and heads toward the tree, as if drawn to it. Walking at first, then jogging and finally running towards it, spear in hand and falls to his knees nearer the tree than is likely safe and spreads his hands wide over head, his right hand still clutching the spear and his left fingers spread wide. He lets out a animalistic primal scream so loud and long is doesn't seem possible after he ran up to the tree. He should be winded.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHH!"

Then he points the spear at the tree and slowly backs up several paces.
A bow is the ultimate way to reach out and tell your enemies how you feel about them.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users