724 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

Monkeysloth's list o' Tutorials

Decided I needed a place to list all my tutorials as I can't list them all in my signature, so I'm adding them to the start of my WIP thread.

Basing
Ice Bases
Paiting and Sculpting Rocks

Painting
Stencils

Sculpting
Quickly Making Rocks

Other WIP Threads
Glitter Caves Diorama
Jade Regent Campaign WIP

Original Start of WIP Thread:

I realized that I tend to take a few pictures as I paint, that I occasionally tweet, and that I never really do any WIPs so I decided to just create a general thread for most of the random stuff I work on.

First up Cleric of Urgathoa

Need to work on my skin tones more, especially female ones, and I think this is turning out quite well--though after the looking at this picture I can see the shading on the face is coming off too strong so I'm going to need to soften that.

WP_001351.jpg

For the inside of the cloak I'm going for kind of a fancy reflective-ish look (This is the technically term I'm quite sure of it) so I'm basing with Reaper Midnight blue and then shading with a dark green and highlighting with various mixed turquoise colors. Still working on the blending some and bringing up the highlights a bit more.

WP_001358.jpg

Edited by MonkeySloth, 27 May 2014 - 02:13 AM.

• lexomatic likes this

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#2 Ishil

Ishil

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 758 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

I like this miniature, so I'm interested to see what you do with it.

Ishil
Jesus loves you. But not that much.

#3 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

Trying to get better pictures this time around as the originals I posted were a bit out of focus.

Finished the cloak on the back. I like how the black turned out.

WP_001376.jpg

So I've softened the skin, mostly around the face, and smoothed and brightened the blending on the inside of the cloak. Also trying out a jade color on the corset. Not sure what color to do the dress yet.

WP_001379.jpg
  • Grimreaper71 likes this

@monkeysloth

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#4 Marsya

Marsya

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

I really like the jade color on the corset. I can see myself picking out one that color.

I really like what you have done so far and can't wait to see more.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

George Bernard Shaw

My gaming and miniatures blog - a glimpse into my world of miniatures and games

#5 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Thanks. I'm liking the Jade as well, but I need to bring the yellow highlights up more so I'm just going to wait for some water to evaporate out of my pallet and thicken it up a bit.

Didn't get as much done today as I would have liked but I finished all the skin and most of the jade cloth. I started to shade the dress with a dark blue, it's main color is reaper midnight blue, and now I have to in with a darker blue\black and then blend back up. Once I get the boots finished and part of the dress on the side I'm going to attach the scythe and then paint the wood.

WP_001396.jpg

@monkeysloth

#6 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Worked the yellow up on the jade cloth and started to shade and highlight the dress with a blue and blue-black (close to P3 Coal Black I would guess) and highlight it up with Reaper Dusky Skin Highlight. I was debating between the blue and black shade and a sanguine and I'm glad I decided not to add red to the figure and am just sticking with the purple\blue\green\yellow colors.

I had to break out a better set up the get the photo as well since the normal way I take quick pictures washed out the shade and highlights on the dress but now the skin shading is washing out.

WP_001428.jpg

There are a few spots on the figure in this picture, I can't see them on the mini so it was either dust that got blown off or something on my phone's lens.

@monkeysloth

#7 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:45 AM

Weekend has been busier then expected so I'm not quite as far done as I'd had hoped to be but I still managed to get the hair and metal done as well as finish cleaning up the dress and a few other spots. So I've got the feathers on the back to finish, having a bit of trouble with the brush work on those--which I'm chalking up to the time of night it is, the wood and the jade that isn't part of the dress.

WP_001444.jpg

@monkeysloth

#8 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

And done. I don't know if I'm going to keep the base she's on, so I haven't glued it yet.

Not 100% happy with the wood on the scythe or the feathers but outside of that I think this turned out quite well. There's some dust that I need to clean up before I seal as well but that's no big issue.

WP_001455.jpg
WP_001460.jpg
  • badocter, Silas Coggeshall, Grimreaper71 and 1 other like this

@monkeysloth

#9 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

And the show off post http://www.reapermin...ic-of-urgathoa/
  • Grimreaper71 likes this

@monkeysloth

#10 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Up next Hyrekia

Trying out doing a more detailed eye but wasn't able to get the color and smaller dot that people like Derek can pull off. Still I think this looks pretty good.

WP_001525.jpg

Finished off the skin and based the dress with a Vallejo Red which is very shiny for some reason. Going to shade it down to black.

WP_001538.jpg

@monkeysloth

#11 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Decided to darken the face to try and give it more definition but I still need to add some color back into it. I normally use Vallejo Terracotta as a thin glaze to do blush and lips but since the new shade I used is close to what that looks like I haven't gone back over those areas yet as I'm still deciding on what to use.

I shaded the dress down with Vallejo burnt umber mix with some black and as well as straight black. The highlights are P3 Khador Red and Khador Red Highlight mixed with Khador Red.

WP_001563.jpg
WP_001565.jpg

@monkeysloth

#12 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12661 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

I like your color selections on the cleric.

Is there a reason why you went with blue for Hyrekia's skin? Does it give it a shallow look?

Agree, Khador reds are pretty nice.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#13 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks.

I went with blue because I read over on another forum that blue is what the classical and Renaissance painters used for deep shadows on skin. It can make you skin look sickly if you don't bring up the skin tone enough those so I tend to use it as a base, so any area's I miss are dark blue and then have a glaze to add a little more if I need. But I've only just started playing around with it as it's worth trying if someone like David Ayral (one of the old Rackham sculptors and painters) uses.

I don't think it's a must do, but it's a nice option to change the look of the figure. In fact the cleric at the start was mostly shaded with blue and as well with only a little bit of a dark skin tone.

The figure below is the first one I tried this method with and didn't bring up the skin as strong as I have with the past two and it gives the miniature a very interesting look. I did have to add some red to the skin tones to keep him from looking anemic though. I need to get a better picture of him once I get the charger for the camera I borrowed as it's a little hard to see.

DSCN2925.jpg

@monkeysloth

#14 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm going for a fire sorceress with this miniature so I've painted the belt up as if it was hot coals and am starting to paint metal as if it was molten. I like how the belt and the metal ornament turned out but the nails on the figure, which I'm taking as a Ming the Merciless finger guards, look a little too much like candy corn so I might rework those.

I've also started to define the color for the lace and corset as well as the leather.
WP_001567.jpg

@monkeysloth

#15 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

Painted up most of the metal as well as some of the leather so I was able to attach the left-hand and the staff.

I am liking the molten look. The staff is going for a more charred cinder look. I based it with Reaper Muddy Soil and then highlighted up with various gray shades. The skull will be charred as well and the crystal will be fire-themed.

WP_001568.jpg

@monkeysloth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users