• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

As many of you know... I am primarily an army painter. A painter that jumps from army to army, and doesn't always have time to paint due to work.

I am fascinated by the Warhammer World and it's army system, though I don't actually play the game. I am also not a painter who cares where a miniature comes from, so long as the miniature, in my mind at least, feels like it belongs to the army. For some reason, this helps me paint. Making up a small story for each army, and adding bits to it as I add new units and characters.

Painting in this way tends to allow certain threads many weeks or months in between updates. So, in an effort to keep a thread active, I have decided to create this thread for all the WiPs I have, regardless of the army they belong to, and then update the army threads as I have completed units to add to them.

For those of you interested in following along, I am dedicating this first post to the links to all of the armies, for easy access to the completed products. I will be back soon with some WiP pics :)

MOUSEKILLER ARMIES

Empire
Vampire Counts
Orcs and Goblins
Ogre Kingdoms
Dwarves
Mortals of Chaos
Skaven
Daemons of Chaos

#2 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ok, so here they are, in no particular order (I will do a full run thru here, then "try" to do at least weekly updates on stuff that has seen progress):

Skaven:
Midtone color was put on the body with a quick red wash. Also, did a midtone red in some of the open wound areas. Started some layering on the tail... lots more washes and layers to go on this beast. For the base, the idea is a sewer, the depressed area in the middle will have a greenish sewage drainoff going thru it.
Skaven Lord.jpg

Beasts of Chaos:
Not a lot done... still working on the base model for the army, and not very diligently.
Beast and Dwarf.jpg

Dwarves:
(see above). Finished the Slayers today, next up will be the druid model from reaper... who for army purposes will be a rune lord who has lost his wits :)

Empire:
The knights test model was finished last year, just not sure how much I still like it. Going to paint these in blocks of three, so, including the test model who may see some changes, here are the three.
Knights.jpg

Mortals of Chaos:
Working on the third rank of marauders. Started skin, base coat metals, base coat reds.
Marauders.jpg

Ogres:
Another product from last year, hence the reason why they all seem in different stages. In any case, I have done a bit on the banner and brought the bannerman up to about the same progress as the other two. Not a whole lot left to do, time to get into the details :)
Ogres Front.jpg

Orcs and Goblins:
Continuing work on Skarsnik. I think I finally got the scales to a point that I am not disgusted by them, thought they will likely get another highlight. Also, did the wood bits and started the horn bits on gobbla.
Skarsnik Front.jpg
Skarsnik Back.jpg

Daemons of Chaos:
This guy is actually a product from a few years ago, started and left on the shelf. I think partly because I was overwhelmed by the lava :) I plan to re-do the base to a rocky"ish" outcrop with lava pushing through certain points vs completely enveloping the base.
Daemon.jpg

Vampire Counts:
Last rank of skeletons are almost done. Still need to make a 5x4 base for them and plan to add a few pumpkins for spice.
Skeletons.jpg

So, that is where we are - hope to see you next week with some completed stuff :) Please keep in mind that I will continue to post completed products in there perspective army threads.

Happy painting!

#3 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

As promised.... here is a weekly update.

No movement on Beasts or Daemons.

Skaven: More work on the base done... added some water affect. Also, another highlight to the rat followed by a red and green wash. A lot more to do.
Skaven Base.jpg
Skaven.jpg

Dwarfs: Basecoat and one highlight on skin. Undercoat robes, horns, wood, and hair.
Dwarf.jpg

Empire: Not a whole lot done, primered the third knight and worked up the metallics. Will probably work up the blue bits and some lining over the next week.
Knight.jpg

Ogre Kingdoms: Some rust work done. I think I am going to tone down the last metallic highlight a little.

Ogre 1.jpg
Ogre 2.jpg

Orcs and Goblins: A little water effect on the back of the base. Also, worked in some rust on his weapons, though I am trying not to go overboard. Worked on Gobblas horns a bit more, and started working the inside of his mouth.
Skarsnik Front.jpg
Skarsnik Back.jpg

Vampire Counts: Rust effects. Definitely going to need to tone down the metallic highlight.
Skeletons.jpg

Weekly vow: Finish skeletons (I don't know why, but it seems these have taken forever...)

Till next week!

#4 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Ok, weekly update time.

Skaven: Started layering the skin on the rat, blocked out the fur patches with Dark Skin, started a more deliberate round of washes to differentiate between the oozing flesh bits and what should be more normal flesh. This guy is massive, very daunting session when I sit down to paint him. I do know that once I get past his skin (which is why I started with it) he is going to really start coming together. Maybe for next week I will start blocking out other bits like the armour and rider just to give a sense of the overall colors and how they might work together.

Rat.jpg

Dwarfs: Actually made some good headway on him, really simple to paint without a lot of complications, which is probably one of the reasons I enjoy painting the dwarves. Did the blue sash and the white robes.

Dwarf.jpg

Empire: Washed and re-highlighted the armour, though I think it needs a bit more. This armour is coming out much more shiny then the other two, which I like, so I may need to go back and fix the other two. Though I prefer dark and grim, I think that knights would take more time to polish there armour. Also started the blue hatchwork and blocked out the cape.

Knight.jpg

Vampire Counts: Completed the skeleton unit, check it out here SKELETAL SPEARMEN or check out the Vampire Counts thread for more pics. Up next, another primed mini from last year:

Pieter Von Carstein.jpg

Orcs and Goblins: Just a bit of work on Gobbla's mouth.

Gobbla.jpg

Ogre Kingdoms: Did a little with the leather bits, though not enough to really warrant a picture. Maybe next week.

Mortals, Daemons, and Beasts: No painting:( Though I add some texture to the daemon base.

#5 beno

beno

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Gobbla looks awesome! His tongue is very nicely done. Also liking those ogres a lot, the banner is a solid eye-catching design without being too 'bling' like some of the really artistic nonsense you see (I mean who carries a Raphael painting into battle, on a stick?)

All in all I like your style mate! I voted the skeletons a 7 at CMON, definitely above your average tabletop level if you ask me.

#6 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

THANKS BENO!

So, here we go with the weekly update. Got some more done, but didn't quite get around to finishing anything (though I think we should see some things finished next week).

Skaven: Blocked out the armour bits to bring some contrast. Another two or three highlights on the skin and a few washes... starting to separate bulbous grossness from bloody goo from actual skin.

Skaven.JPG

Dwarfs: This is one of the ones I should see through to finishing by next week, but who knows. Really not sure what I want to paint next for the dwarfs, so if anyone has any suggestions (should be a unit or war machine type). Added a little design to the hem of his dress, highlighted the metal bits a bit, finished the skin. Still need to do the horns, add dirt and grime to the hem, highlight the design a little, finish the metal bits and gems.

Dwarf.JPG

Empire: Did quite a bit on the knight this week. Fleshed out some color on the horse, added the dots and fleshed out the cloak, did quite a bit with the metal bits - mostly trying to get bluish hue to the non blue armour bits.

Knight.JPG

Ogre Kingdoms: Finished the leather and gold bits.

Ogres.JPG

Beasts of Chaos: Actually started it this week. Did the skin and a bit on the hair. Still not entirely sure what color I am going to go with on these guys, something natural but that will stand apart from the more natural colors of hair and skin.

Beastman.JPG

Orcs and Goblins: Only a little done on Skarsnik, but if I just sat down for an hour or so I could probably get him finished. Need still to finish the beard bits hanging from his belt (I blocked them out this week with some color), another highlight or two on the skull, teeth, and bony bits, another highlight to gobblas skin, the dwarf shield on the ground in front of gobbla, the leg sticking out from gobbla's mouth... ok, maybe still quite a bit to go.

Skarnsik.JPG

Vampire Counts: Started working the skin and wings, though neither is complete at this point. Still not sure what direction I will go with the armour.

Vampire.JPG

Mortals of Chaos: Worked on the skin a bit, though nothing worth a picture.

Daemons of Chaos: Blocked out some metal bits, but again nothing worth a picture.

Until next week!

#7 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Time for the weekly update! As a side note, I will be extremely busy next weekend, so likely will not do an update until the following weekend.

This week seemed very productive in that I finished two models... so here is the breakdown:

Daemons, Mortals, Beasts of Chaos, Vampire Counts: No progress (next update, I promise).

Skaven: Not a lot done, but I started working the robes on the rider and some of the heraldry. Also, blocked out the skintone of the rider and worked the metals a little more.

Skaven.JPG

Empire: Again, not a whole lot done, but I felt like I needed to introduce another color, so I added a very small amount of white to help liven things up.

Knight.JPG

Dwarves: FINISHED BARDAL THE MAD! Check out the Dwarven Throng thread to check him out. So, whats next... a unit of 12 Ironbreakers. In full disclosure, I could not find the right size drill bit so all of those models were painstakingly stood upright on the bases with no pins (need to stop at the hardware store this week).

Dwarf.JPG

Ogres: These guys are very very close to being done. A lot of very small little details to still pick out... but I may pull the next three down to get the rolling.

Ogre.JPG
Ogre Back.JPG

Orcs and Goblins: FINISHED SKARSNIK! Check out my Orcs and Goblins thread (incidentally I have posted all the links to the army threads in the intro to this topic). So, next up is another blast from the past, a half finished project from last year. One of the reasons that I stopped painting them was I got really frustrated with the color of the wolves, I just could not get them to look natural... so I really need your help on these. If you have any amazing wolf recipes please let me know so that I can try them out :)

Wolfrider.JPG

See you in two weeks, until then, HAPPY PAINTING!

#8 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

So, when I said two weeks before, I meant more like three...

Not a huge amount done as I have been busy with work and the like... but an update nonetheless...

Skaven: Did a bit on the riders skin... still a lot more to go. Hit the fur with some highilights, now time to wash, highlight, rinse, repeat... Also, started working some of the open flesh stuff. I didn't notice before, but I see some flash on the head of his spear... so I will have to trim that up as well.

Skaven.JPG

Empire: These guys are pretty close to done, still need to finish the ground work and work the saddle up, though I am not sure what direction to go with the saddle. Should I use the blue/white colors, stick with brown, or introduce a new color that will contradict the other two? Also, need to work the gold bits up some more.

Knights.JPG

Dwarves: Finished pinning them into the bases, primered, and started the first four. At this stage the blue and white are base coated, and the metals have been worked to three highlights and a single wash. This is where the painting will actually begin, as I was very careless (fully intentionally) before now.

Dwarfs.JPG

Vampire Counts: Worked a bit on the armour and cape, though still a lot more to go. Had a little oops with his head (the little red dot). Also, worked the wings a little more.

Vamp Front.jpg
Vamp back.JPG

Ogre Kingdoms: Think that I am close with getting these guys done, some last few touch ups on the banner and musician. Thought I was done with the boss, but looking at him now makes me think the cape needs a lot more work. Please be extremely critical of him, as the rest will soon fall into place beside him.

Ogre Front.JPG
Ogre back.JPG
Ogre left.JPG
Ogre right.JPG

Warriors of Chaos: A little more skin highlighting...

Marauders.JPG

Orcs and Goblins: Two wolf versions... please feel free to provide recipes or advice on painting wolf fur :)

Wolfriders.JPG

And that just leaves the beasts and daemons, of which I have done nothing with. The beasts are just annoying me because everytime I look at them I know how much work is going to have to be involved in getting rid of the flesh. Also, not entirely sure I am sold on the reddish skin vs a more human looking skin tone, thoughts?

Until next week, happy painting:)

#9 Belegur

Belegur

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for this wip. I really like you painting style.
My painted miniatures: Inspiration Gallery

#10 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

Well, it has been a few weeks (thanks to long hours at work and a bit of a field trip to the high desert for two weeks)...

In any case... I have been mostly working the vamp lord, dwarfs, and a little on the skaven and daemons. I have really got to get it in gear and start finishing some stuff...

For the skaven I started working his skin... though I think I may need to work some more purple into it...

Skaven.JPG

On the Dwarfs did quite a bit of metal work and worked up the blue and white.

Dwarf.JPG

On the Daemon, I covered up the base with the thought that I would prefer to have small bits of lava poking thru the earth vs an entire base of lava... also, worked the wings up a bit.

Demon.JPG

And on the vamp lord, I worked the wings a bit more, the armour a bit, and the bones a small amount. I also did some veins in the wings, though I am not completely convinced.

Vamp front.JPG
Vamp Back.JPG

Belegur: Thanks mate! I will try to bring the updates back to weekly :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users