• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2849 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:27 AM

So for a n00b painter who is getting vampire and a bunch of extras, cthulhu, all the giants, some dragons... I am getting paint sets 1 and 3, what should I supplement these with? A few artist acrylics (steep learning curve?) in what colors? I'm more interested in the fantasy side, btw. Thanks in advance

Aside from quality brushes I recommend Paint Set 4 as well. That gives you a solid base with a few different shades of Red (surprisingly important).
The only other thing is Reaper has a paint Triad called Shading Colours ( http://www.reapermin...ds/latest/09779 ) either grab the set, or at least the Red. The red in this set can be used for shadow on reds (important) or for browns like walnut or leather depending on what colours you add to it to lighten it up.
  • CashWiley likes this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#32 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 9673 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Yes, red is surprisingly hard to mix shades for, they tend to end up pink or orange. The first MSP Red triad to come out was too purple for my liking, but the Clear Red is an excellent colour (it just needs other reds to work with since it doesn't cover well).

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#33 Miar

Miar

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

If you didn't have any paints which of the paint sets would you get? I was thinking I would get 1, 2, and 3. Now I'm thinking of just 1 and 3. Hmm

The only paint set to which I'm indifferent is the one with all the metallics in it. Though, I'll probably get that one too and just give my friends what I don't want.

I think I'm going to stick with my original thought and get 1, 2 and 3. Hopefully I'll almost never need to get paint again accept for some high use colors :)

Interest in Bones trading (On Boardgamegeek as Miar)

#34 Furongian

Furongian

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hopefully I'll almost never need to get paint again accept for some high use colors :)

Sure, you say that now. But, before you know it, you'll be looking longingly at the entire MSP line with avarice-filled eyes. The postman will wonder why you're getting parcels labeled 'Reaper' every couple of weeks. And then comes the workshop project to build a multi-tiered rack to hold your ever-growing collection of paint (you'll need a 1" spade bit, by the way). The cycle of addiction is tough to break. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. :down:
  • psyberwolfe1 and Last Knight like this

#35 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9394 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

If the postman asks any questions about your Reaper packages, answer the door in black hooded robes one morning and tell him it's "work related".
  • psyberwolfe1, Furongian and CashWiley like this

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#36 ced1106

ced1106

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Check out how far you can get with craft paints, flow aid, and fluid retarder:
http://www.reapermin...150#entry637150

#37 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 9673 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Sure, but my own experience with paints that work well if you put in the effort (Vallejo Model Colour) is that there are other paints which work better and require much less effort. I am not against craft paints. I have some and use them for terrain and basing. Some people get amazing results with them. I quite like VMC, too, they are excellent paints. But Reaper MSP are just easier to work with.
  • psyberwolfe1, Furongian and ObsidianCrane like this

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users