• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Maglok

Maglok

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

So first time poster here! I am a miniature fan and I play warhammer and a lot of pathfinder. My collection is thus devided between the two. I am active on the wargamer forums, but those do not understand rpg mini painting! So when the Reaper kickstarter rolled around I was in rather quickly. I never really order directly from Reaper due to high costs for shipping to europe (dutchy here), but with a set 25$, I was so in.

That also led me to finally register here. :)

It also led me to start painting up all the 'left over' rpg mini's I have laying around. It took a bit of courage, but I figured I'd show some of my work on these classic reaper zombies. I had them laying around for over a year now and since they tend to get used during the Pathfinder, I figured why the hell not. I used sort of a speedpaint technique on them.

Posted Image

I decided to try to emulate swamp bases with these zombies, using sand to up the base height a bit and then create small, very small, 'lakes' of water effects with green wash.

Hope ya like it.
  • buglips*the*goblin, Matbar, Adrift and 3 others like this

Glok's Grotto (A gaming blog that I seem to not get bored with!)

Bones kickstarter #1 count: 35

Stonehaven gnomes count: 8

Stonehaven dwarfs count: 1

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2372 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Welcome! I love what you've created, but those zombies have some nice, clean teeth.

#3 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6769 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Those are fantastic. :-)

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#4 malefactus

malefactus

Crazy Old Man

• Members
  • 1256 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

A Kindred Spirit: I've had a pack of those Mostly Dead Folk hanging around for quite awhile also waiting patiently...more or less...for some attention. Your SPLENDIDLY painted & based pieces has given me some ideas & a healthy jolt of motivation. Thanks for the post/push & VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member. G.Marx

#5 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11222 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

That's a top-notch tabletop job. I'd be really happy to see you post details of your speedpaint technique, if you have the time!

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#6 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4343 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

those zombies look fantastic! hopefully I can do that well on mine.

That's a top-notch tabletop job. I'd be really happy to see you post details of your speedpaint technique, if you have the time!

agreed! your dungeon looks modular too. what are you using?

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

Bones II:  #7355

#7 Maglok

Maglok

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thanks! :) I am only a small noobie around most of ya'all.

Welcome! I love what you've created, but those zombies have some nice, clean teeth.

You have an excellent point. Some of them are a bit more bloodied though. I guess some of them have yet to munch a pc or two and the blood on them is mainly theirs.

It's really nothing special. Basically I 'limit' myself to:
  • Basecoat (in this case white)
  • Do all areas with a base color (rotting flesh, a color for the hair, clothes and boots, red for eyes and white for the 'teeth')
  • Apply copious amounts of wash.
  • Pick out all the previously applied base colors with a much lighter highlight. I find a very light highlight translates into very 'readable' minis on the gaming table.
As for the base it is a simple 25mm round base to which I applied my mixture of sand/gravel with woodglue. I then wait for it to dry and apply another thin layer of woodglue so it is stuck on there. In this case I left bits for the water. Then a smattering of colors and a highlight or two later it will accept some water effects. In this case I applied it with a uhhm, toothpick I think the word is, and added some green wash. Then another 'layer' over that to add some depth, no wash that time.

After that all I just threw 'blood' around. A dark and a light one, watered down a lot. That took all but 5 minutes for all 9.

Overall turn around time is quite fast for my doing. I am a notoriously slow painter you see.

those zombies look fantastic! hopefully I can do that well on mine.

agreed! your dungeon looks modular too. what are you using?

Hirst arts :) Though I am not quite happy with that set, it has served me well when DMing. With the risk of going off-topic just slightly, here's how it looks when I fill up the table:

Posted Image

Or I use it to 'emulate' a cavern tileset, which I do not have anywhere near finished yet.

Posted Image
  • smokingwreckage, Jordan Peacock, Sarah Devier and 3 others like this

Glok's Grotto (A gaming blog that I seem to not get bored with!)

Bones kickstarter #1 count: 35

Stonehaven gnomes count: 8

Stonehaven dwarfs count: 1

#8 Anne

Anne

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Welcome!
Awesome painting, they look fantastic! The bases came out great too, yikes I would not want to get caught in a swamp chock full of zombies... A friend of mine had a similar group (though skeletons) and he had one base that just had a skellie from the torso up on it coming out of the ground, might be a fun variation if more zombies join the horde. Great terrain too, thanks for posting!
I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?

http://annecooper.de...rt.com/gallery/
http://www.dndlead.com/

#9 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

That's a nice looking unit. The bases really tie it together.

#10 Furongian

Furongian

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Satisfyingly gruesome! I like the swamp bases; there is something viscerally frightening about half rotted corpses rising out of a bog to pull you down in a fetid embrace.

#11 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2260 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Dig the Hirst dungeon. We use our Hirst stuff for mostly display shelving; the modular dungeon concept always looks cool, but ends up being too much hassle for us as DMs.

Your Zeds look great; I like that they have variation even between the duplicate sculpts. Nicely done.

Index of my Show-Off minis.

WiP threads:
My Legion of Everblight. Painted: 54 points, 2 Warlocks. Owned: 157 points, 3 Warlocks.

Odd Animals WiP. RP Couatl, DSM Frog Prince, GW/Marauder/Necromunda Milliasaur
Mice & Mystics

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#12 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Dig the Hirst dungeon. We use our Hirst stuff for mostly display shelving; the modular dungeon concept always looks cool, but ends up being too much hassle for us as DMs.

I've had a similar experience if using the Hirst dungeons built as instructed with the tall walls; they look great for dioramas, but storage and line-of-sight issues for players (plus difficulty in placing miniatures in "action poses" that extend beyond their bases) make them impractical. However, I've found that if I make "floor-tile-only" pieces, or make them with VERY short wall sections (one block high) and have any taller features (doorways, statues, shrines, etc.) as separate, removable pieces, I can get around those problems and still have some nice-looking scenery that adds more of a sense of "3D" than I could hope for with printed map tiles.

#13 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Nice job, and the bases are definitely a win. I like the swamp grasses. To me that's what sets it off as swampy, even a little moreso than the puddles.

#14 lankwell

lankwell

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Great bases man, might have to learn how to do that!

#15 KruleBear

KruleBear

Godlike

• Members
  • 1033 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Lovely (?) zombies. Actually gave me some motivation for painting some of my old ones.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zombies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users