Photo

Takhisamat! (or: Buglips butchers a Limited Edition)

ral partha takhisis TSR

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#46 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1264 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

And the 40 is the 40th formula, before they had what they were looking for. ::):

I'll still swear by my little blue and yellow can for drilling sockets for pinning multi part figs.

Life is Chaos... So Enjoy Life

ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif

#47 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6791 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Jumping in a little late on this, but WD-40 is a textbook CLP - cleaner, lubricant, protection. It's not unknown for lazy people to use a spray of WD-40 on their handguns to clean them, and the gun functions fine (remove ammo before spraying, though.) :-)

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

[img src="http://nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveSupporter/last-knight.png" /]

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#48 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12322 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Well, there is an alternative to pinning if I have to - but it's a high risk operation and I'm not to sure I want to gamble my Takky that way.

But she is white metal - and she can be soldered into those huge feet pits. Done very carefully this can work, but it's very risky!
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#49 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2306 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

For pinning, if you need strength, use music wire (not guitar strings). You can find it at most hobby stores. Be careful what tool you use to cut it, though, as it will notch most diagonal cutters. Plus it tends to depart the vicinity of the cutter at high speed when the cut is complete, so watch out for that, too. (And wear safety glasses.)

I swear by my guitar string for pinning my normal, human-sized minis. It's rarely for strength, but just for a better grip. Still, always intereseted in new things. As a non-musician, what's the difference between guitar string (entirely one piece of wire, not the twisted stuff at higher guages, I think the guitar shop guy who sells it to me said it was an E string?) and music wire?

And yes, I have dug small fragments of the guitar string out of my palm because of the cut-velocity. Yeesh.

Well, there is an alternative to pinning if I have to - but it's a high risk operation and I'm not to sure I want to gamble my Takky that way.

But she is white metal - and she can be soldered into those huge feet pits. Done very carefully this can work, but it's very risky!

Yipes! That sounds like a terrifying proposition.

Index of my Show-Off minis.

WiP threads:
My Legion of Everblight. Painted: 54 points, 2 Warlocks. Owned: 157 points, 3 Warlocks.

Odd Animals WiP. RP Couatl, DSM Frog Prince, GW/Marauder/Necromunda Milliasaur
Mice & Mystics

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#50 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Wizard of Wavicles

• Members
  • 4508 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

I was thinking of the wire-wrapped strings. It might well be the case that the simple wire strings are the same material as the "music wire" that is sold in hobby stores. That said, you can get a variety of gauges of music wire, so there might be a bit more flexibility there if they are the same.

#51 cloudshaper2k

cloudshaper2k

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

For cutting the wire, I would recommend keeping a bit of cork handy. Stick the loose end of the wire into the cork, hold the long part in your hand and make the cut. It should keep the cut piece from flying anywhere and be much safer.

#52 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2306 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

ah, ok. Yes, the first time I went into the guitar shop (only a few blocks from my house, unlike the two-bus-trips-away hobby shop) and showed the guy my pod of drillbits, he thought I was nuts. Then we talked about wire strings for an hour. Having checked the packaging, I use E-18 string, but I had a number of options to choose from. This stuff is still pretty flexy, so it won't hold a lot of weight, but it's stiff enough to hold a 28mm arm in place, and thin enough to drill into an old Ral Partha/Dennis Mize maiden's ankle without turning it into a cankle.

Index of my Show-Off minis.

WiP threads:
My Legion of Everblight. Painted: 54 points, 2 Warlocks. Owned: 157 points, 3 Warlocks.

Odd Animals WiP. RP Couatl, DSM Frog Prince, GW/Marauder/Necromunda Milliasaur
Mice & Mystics

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#53 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2243 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

First I have never used any lubricant on my Dremel Drill bits because I switched to high speed drill bits. Second if you're having heat issues with your Dremel bits then the speed is dialed up too high or you're not using high speed bits. Third music wire is overkill. 1/16" Brass rod (or steel paper clips) is perfect for this job and most two part epoxies are rated in 10K plus for shear force. Short of reaching terminal velocity there is no reason for piano wire. The stuff is just too dangerous. Finally a sharp new drill bit in a hand held pin vise will chew through most white metal in a minute flat.

Buglips love the WIP. Keep up the good work.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#54 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7501 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

E-18, that would even give SRV trouble! I use an 18 as my G; 11 or 12 as E, 12 can make bends pretty rough and snap a lot.

Anyway, I use paper clips and also recommend changing bits often. I need to label my bits because I always forget which one fits my paper clips.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#55 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12322 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I usually drill the pinhole oversize. There'll be enough gel superglue crammed in around the pin to stick a blue whale to a battleship. It won't be going anywhere.