13 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Tinker Gnome

Mad Tinker Gnome

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Posted Image

Mick Leach of EasternFront Studios has a new kickstarter - PROJECT HOPE: A cool superhero kickstarter - minis and/or a new supers rpg.

Its set in World War II, giving it a historical context and resonance that are lacking in some super rpgs. It uses this setting in a manner similar to how X-Men First Class used the Cuban Missile Crisis. And the best bit is that they are bringing out a range of superhero miniatures for the game at the same time

UPDATE
For minis here are the main pledge levels:
  • $35 gets 1 pack of 5 miniatures + 1 Limited Edition miniature and includes free wodwide shipping
  • $70 gets 10 miniatures (2 packs) + 2 Limited Edition, free worldwide shipping, and is also eligible for some of the stretch goals.

#2 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7395 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

You should mention Mick Leach is running this. At first it sounds hinky because there's no show for minis. But after Low Life and Dwarven Gladiators it should be cool.
  • Mad Tinker Gnome likes this
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#3 Mad Tinker Gnome

Mad Tinker Gnome

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

You should mention Mick Leach is running this. At first it sounds hinky because there's no show for minis. But after Low Life and Dwarven Gladiators it should be cool.

Good point. So i've edited the original post. Also here is some early concept art for some of the miniatures and WIP.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 ApesAmongUs

ApesAmongUs

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

The one thing I haven't figured out about this one yet is what the limited edition minis are. The picture sample shows 2 different ones, but doesn't really mention it otherwise. So, does getting 2 mean A. I get both of the 2 they are making, B. I get 2 of the undisclosed number they are making, or C. I will get 2, but they will unlock as we go along and there are only 1/2/? now?

#5 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6384 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

I feel very overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices for buying into kickstarters lately.Not necessarily specific to this kickstarter but it is a good example of what I mean. I really don't need that many choices and the more you throw at me the more confused I get to the point of, I just won't bother. Which is a shame because this looks like a good one, something that I would enjoy.
  • estrus and Darsc Zacal like this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#6 Darsc Zacal

Darsc Zacal

PAX Prime Veteran

• 5477 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

I feel very overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices for buying into kickstarters lately.Not necessarily specific to this kickstarter but it is a good example of what I mean. I really don't need that many choices and the more you throw at me the more confused I get to the point of, I just won't bother. Which is a shame because this looks like a good one, something that I would enjoy.

I certainly understand and sympathize with this. I've been trying to be much more picky of which kickstarters I back lately, but even so there hasn't been a time so far this year since I joined kickstarter where I haven't had at least one or two active kickstarters backed.

I think it's just like mini collecting in general. At some point you realize that you can't have everything, no matter how cool or good of a deal it may be. Eventually you'll narrow your focus to those genres/companies/sculptors that interest you the most and not worry about trying to keep up with all the rest.
"Yeah, we have magic and elves and crazy wizardocracies, but gender equality, *that's* a fantasy."
- Pingo's alter ego.

"I had to drown my dolly in the bathtub to try and still the voice of the mirror mommy telling me to do bad things. And then an octopus stole my clothes!"
Buglips' Gnome.

#7 dariustad

dariustad

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I will be honest about one thing that does concern me about this project. They use the name "Department H" in direct connection to a government group that created the superhumans in "Mutation Chambers." I'm sorry, but that screams Marvel Comics in such a direct correlation that the potential legal problems are difficult to ignore. For those wondering, Marvel Comics had a Department H in Canada that utilized mutants, like Wolverine and Sabretooth, to run clandestine missions across the globe. Wolverine received his Adamantium in a chamber that resembles the "mutation chambers."

I want the project to succeed, but it's too similar to Marvel; and, since Marvel is a major corporation in the US, it could create problems down the line that could kill the product outright. Marvel lacks the same legal might in Italy it does here. Now, if this has already been settled somewhere, or they can still change the name to something other than Department H, then I'll be more interested in the project.

#8 Slendertroll

Slendertroll

Eternal Scout

• Bones Supporter
  • 2801 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I will be honest about one thing that does concern me about this project. They use the name "Department H" in direct connection to a government group that created the superhumans in "Mutation Chambers." I'm sorry, but that screams Marvel Comics in such a direct correlation that the potential legal problems are difficult to ignore. For those wondering, Marvel Comics had a Department H in Canada that utilized mutants, like Wolverine and Sabretooth, to run clandestine missions across the globe. Wolverine received his Adamantium in a chamber that resembles the "mutation chambers."

I want the project to succeed, but it's too similar to Marvel; and, since Marvel is a major corporation in the US, it could create problems down the line that could kill the product outright. Marvel lacks the same legal might in Italy it does here. Now, if this has already been settled somewhere, or they can still change the name to something other than Department H, then I'll be more interested in the project.

I'm sure it would be easy to change the name, should the Marvel lawyers get in touch with them.
Posted Image
Slendertroll is Virgil Ironshaper, blacksmith and devotee of Kaveh, in...
Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down the Murder Hole

Grinnell College '16

#9 Mad Tinker Gnome

Mad Tinker Gnome

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Answer / reply time :;):

I will be honest about one thing that does concern me about this project. They use the name "Department H" in direct connection to a government group that created the superhumans in "Mutation Chambers."

I noticed that too. But other than the name the rest is actually very different and standard supers tropes. Marvel's Department H didn't have mutation chambers per se - they just had the main one that added adamantium to Weapon X (Wolverine) and later some others for mind controlling their supers. But Dept. H was a big user of mutants in general rather than creating mutations. However, I'm pretty sure that is just from an early translation and could easily be adapted should the need arise. The main translation and development work hasn't begun yet - that is part of what the KS is for after all :;):

I feel your pain, though I think it is the result of trying to meet the needs of backers of previous projects. Just look at the requests on other products by a large percentage of backers to trade this perk for that perk and so forth.

Anyway, I am definitely happy to help you and anyone else in understanding the various goals and making sure you get what you want. For that matter, Mick and Alessio (the team behind this project) are very reasonable and great people and will take care of you. If you think this is something you'd enjoy and would like to back we're all take care of you and make sure you get what you want / need without overspending.

I'll try and whip up a basic guide of the various options in a moment.

The one thing I haven't figured out about this one yet is what the limited edition minis are. The picture sample shows 2 different ones, but doesn't really mention it otherwise. So, does getting 2 mean A. I get both of the 2 they are making, B. I get 2 of the undisclosed number they are making, or C. I will get 2, but they will unlock as we go along and there are only 1/2/? now?

A - thought i'm sure if you wanted to get 2 of the same LE model you could.

Does that help?
  • recruittons likes this

#10 Mad Tinker Gnome

Mad Tinker Gnome

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Ok, here is a basic price list. It breaks down a little bit so that's why I've listed the bundles separately below (caused by changes in shipping charges i think). What I recommend you do is select what you want, calculate the total, and then if you want you can double check with me here or (better yet) message Mick at the kickstarter. Like I said he's a great guy and very reasonable.

Product Cost

Digital PDF $10.00

Softcover $50.00

Hardcover $60.00

Allies Pack (includes Allies LE) $35.00

Axis Pack (includes Axis LE) $35.00

1 LE $9.00

2 LE $18.00

Game Screen $15.00

T-Shirt $15.00

Bundles

Softcover + Game Screen + LE + shipping $75

Hardcover + Game Screen + LE + Shipping $85

Softcover + Allies or Axis Pack + Game Screen + shipping $110.00

Hardcover + Allies or Axis + Game Screen + shipping $120.00

Hardcover + Allies pack + Axis pack + Game Screen + shipping $189.00

Softcover + Allies or Axis Pack + Game Screen + shipping $110.00

Hardcover + Allies or Axis + Game Screen + shipping $120.00

Hardcover + Allies pack + Axis pack + Game Screen + shipping $189.00

Hope this helps

#11 Mad Tinker Gnome

Mad Tinker Gnome

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

PROJECT HOPE RECRUITMENT CAMPAIGN

Project H.O.P.E. wants you and your friends!

The Project H.O.P.E. team have started a recruitment campaign.Bring your friends in Project H.O.P.E. Kickstarter and get exclusive gifts!
  • Bring in Project H.O.P.E. Kickstarter from 1 to 5 friends and you will get 2 exclusive wallpapers. Your friends will receive one as well!
  • Bring in Project H.O.P.E. Kickstarter from 6 to 15 friends you will get 2 wallpapers and 1 exclusive lithograph. Your friends will receive 2 exclusive wallpapers as well!
  • Bring in Project H.O.P.E. Kickstarter from 15 to 30 friends and you will receive 2 wallpapers and 2 exclusive lithographs. Your friends will receive two wallpapers and 1 exclusive lithograph as well!
  • Bring in Project H.O.P.E. Kickstarter more than 30 friends and you will get 2 wallpapers and 2 exclusive lithographs. You will also get the chance to create a brand new character (in cooperation with the authors) which will be included into next Project H.O.P.E. expansion. You will get the Italian PDF version of that expansion as well. Your friend will receive 2 wallpapers and 2 exclusive lithographs!

• Mad Tinker Gnome likes this

#12 Mad Tinker Gnome

Mad Tinker Gnome

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hi again

Project HOPE now has a 'refer a friend' recruitment campaign, where you and your friends get cool free stuff if you back the project and put the name of your friend in the comments section when you back the project.

But what if you don't know anyone else who might be interested - well I've just spoken to the project creators and they said that if you back Project HOPE you can still benefit from their recruitment campaign. Simply quote my username - Mad Tinker Gnome - in the comments of the project.

If we get over 30 backers who put that name in, then we'll all share equally in the wallpapers and lithographs. Then I'll run a 'competition' for the opportunity to work with the creators to create a new character to go into the book. Anyone who used me as a friend can suggest an idea and can vote on the most popular / best one to be used. That person will then get to work with the creators to fully create their character and all the other associated benefits.

The creators also said that we could get 1 opportunity for a character for every 30 backers who use that name. And all opportunities to work with the creators we receive will be entered into the above 'competition'.

If we get less than 30 backers, then I will conduct a random draw to disperse anything that is not equally shared amongst everyone (i.e. any bonus lithographs or wallpapers that are not distributed to all friends).

#13 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 700 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

I love the look of "WWII"-style superheroes where they've got costumes that look like variants on uniforms, rather than "men in tights." I'm curious to see what the miniatures end up looking like as a whole.

However, If I'm looking at a description of an RPG, it's a bad sign on the editing of the book if, in an overview of the game mechanics, I'm told that I will be rolling up to 10 "dices."

"Dice" is plural, and it's kind of a basic term for RPG mechanics. "Die" is singular.

I hope that's just in the Kickstarter page, and not an example of the translation effort for the book itself.

#14 Mad Tinker Gnome

Mad Tinker Gnome

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

However, If I'm looking at a description of an RPG, it's a bad sign on the editing of the book if, in an overview of the game mechanics, I'm told that I will be rolling up to 10 "dices.".
I hope that's just in the Kickstarter page, and not an example of the translation effort for the book itself.

I agree it is unfortunate but not an example of the quality of the translation of the book. The book will be professionally translated (which is what the kickstarter is primarily for) while the kickstarter page has been written as best as possible by one of the creative team who is an Italian.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users