Thanks. It feels good to be painting again.
Thank you. I am having fun with it. He was so excited about painting that night. His enthusiasm was contagious and I am thankful for that getting me motivated to paint.
Thanks. There are a few things that I will have to fix, but overall I am happy with the progress.
While I have not posted in awhile, work continued on the wandering monk. I started by working on highlighting the skin. As I stated, I knew that I was going to make some mistakes. I always do. Sometimes my greatest successes are from fixing my errors. I did not thin my flesh color (Reaper Caucasian flesh) enough. It was too stark of a change, and I was pretty far along before I realized it. To solve this, I thinned the same color down to a glaze consistency. I applied slight glazes that would create a mid-tone and brighten the highlights. It turned out pretty well. I also noticed a spot on his face where the wash pooled at the side of his nose. So I fixed that while I was at it.
You can see the pool of wash on the side of his nose.
The skin is finished.
Speaking of wash, there was a lot of pooling at the bottom of his robes. And while in most of the places it is not too terrible, there are a few places where the pooling is not in the depression of the robe, but rather where my highlight should be. Attempts were made to fix it, things got worse. I felt that a quick start over was needed. So I reapplied the base coat to the lower part of the robes and attempted a second wash.
The second attempt did not turn out better. I tried to use less of the wash, but it separated in places and left some textures behind.
Confession time. I hate painting folds in clothing. There I said it. I hear other painters talk about how they love beautiful prominent folds that will allow for sweet blends. Getting smooth blends has always been a struggle for me. It is tied to another thing that I struggle with, and that is mixing colors to match. I can take notes, but it is a rare occurrence that I can mix a matching color. (You will see this later in this post.)
For this reason, I try to focus on completing a color during a session. So during one lunch break, I spent the whole hour attempting to fix the robes. I started by reapplying the yellowed bone that I have been using as the base for my robes. (I misidentified it as skeleton bone in an earlier post.) It was a bit stark, and I liked the warm yellow that was created from the wash. I created several different mixes between sepia liner and yellowed bone and began applying layers. I then glazed the sepia wash over to try and smooth out the blends.
I would end up doing a similar process on his sleeves. I did not get any photos as I was focused on trying to get it done in one lunch break. After the main robe was finished, I then needed to tackle the green hood. It had the same wash issue that I had on the main robe. I wanted to get some more progress done before spending another hour on trying to blend. So I tackled the dark green sleeves. I spend a lot of time watching tutorials, reading other painters WIP posts. One thing that I have never quite understood was the concept of highlighting to white. To me, it just doesn't seem right.
To show what I mean. I took a quick photo of the hoodie I was wearing. You can see where the light is hitting the higher ridges. Sure it is a lighter color, but it is nowhere near the white of the stripe. For the dark sleeves, I used a Reaper Christmas Wreath to highlight the sleeves. I think that it turned out pretty well. I also spent some time highlighting the book that he is carrying.
It was now time to work on his hood. I did not take photos as once again; I was working fast. I ran out of time before I could glaze the layers together.
At this point, I felt like there was not enough left to do that it would keep busy for a full lunch break. So the wandering monk is now on his way home for finishing touches. Speaking of home, I was able to get a little bit more work done on the two orcs. I finished base coating them. Once again, I added slight differences to each of them.
I know that it looks like I missed the wood on their shield. It is actually Reaper Ancient Bark. I wanted to experiment with a different looking wood then the basic brown. I am going for a weathered wood look. Here is my reference photo.
With both of them, base coated, I gave one a wash using a wash of Secret Weapon Miniatures soft body black and one with Reaper's sepia wash. I had not tried the reaper washes before and I wanted to get a feel for them and what better to experiment with than a bog-standard orc.
With Brother Hammond making his way back home. I needed a new office miniature. I grabbed Reaper Miniatures Captain Barnabus Frost. Previously I had textured the leather, base coated and washed the skin.
I did not take a lot of photos. As I got a bit carried away enjoying painting. I started by using Reaper corporal shadow as the base for his coat. It is a dark blue that will look black when next to brighter colors. I then used some P3 Brown Ink with a drop of corporal shadow to shade all of the leather. I then used some Reaper Succubus Kiss for his pants and the trim of the jacket.
Next, I added some brilliant red to the trim of the jacket, and I mixed up some light gray for the inner coat. It is a good start and I am happy so far with how he is turning out. More to come.