Everything posted by Chrestoph the Terribad
The necrosis carnex is an undead creature from 3.5e located in monster manual 4. It’s similar to a flesh golem, being an amalgamation of several corpses with multiple limbs held together with cold iron bands. They also have the ability to unleash negative energy in order to heal undead allies and damage living creatures at the same time. I was also interested in this monster since it can be created by player characters, giving necromancers in an evil campaign new possibilities. The problem was that I’ve searched the internet all over and could not find a good miniature for it, so I decided to create my own instead. I started with some zombie miniatures, particularly miniatures 77342 and 77053. From here I cut up the body parts I needed. Doing this only used three of the 8 miniatures that came in the pack; however I was careful to avoid using pieces that had clothes covering the limbs or torso and tried to create the mini as accurate to the picture in the monster manual as I could. It is said that no two necrosis carnexes look the same so in theory one could make others using the pieces left over, in which case I think I could have made about 3 minis total from the two zombie packs. After this I glued all the limbs onto the torso as best as I could match the original image. I had to cut and re-glue several limbs to get the angles right so the mini would stand properly (I tried heating, shaping, and cooling first but found the limbs went to their original position too easily). I also attached some pieces of wire in order to create the ribcage on the front as well as some of the smaller limbs/attachments. After this I went to work with greenstuff. I filled in the gaps from where limbs were attached and smoothed out the flesh. I also created several strips that I laid over the top of the mini to create the iron bands that hold it together. Last I placed a few tiny rhinestones I had on the largest band to create giant rivets binding the metal to flesh. After this all that was left was to prime and paint the miniature. There are a few things that I would have done differently if I were to build this miniature again. First and foremost I would have cleaned all the flash off of the miniatures before doing any cutting. Trying to remove it from tiny hand and leg pieces was incredibly difficulty so having clean models to start would have saved a lot of time. Second, I would have added the greenstuff in two phases, letting all of the joint filler and body sculpt cure before adding the cold iron bands since this would have prevented the two parts from fusing and left more of a distinct seam between the two.