Search the Community
Showing results for tags '1/12'.
My third and final bust (for now) from Heroes & Villains Miniatures. This one is "Jacobite Highlander: Culloden Moor, 1746." The big challenge here is, of course, going to be the tartans. From my research, it looks like pretty much every piece of the outfit could be a different plaid, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to leave the shirt and/or jacket a solid color for my own sanity. This is definitely going to be the most extensive freehand I've ever attempted. He also has a few accessories that I haven't attached yet, and even came with another, much angrier and beardier head. I probably would have gone with that one except that I just did a bearded bust and I want to try clean-shaven. (That last photo was taken with my new phone camera macro lens!) I've collected a few inspiration pics that show how just how much plaid can go into these outfits.
I have a week off for Fall Break, so I'm starting my second-ever bust! This is the "Germanic Warrior AD 9" from Heroes & Villains Miniatures. The neck joint is a little wonky, and it's way out of the way, so I had a hard time patching it. We'll see how it turns out once it's painted up. I also don't have the advantage of the pirate's naturally expressive face, so I'll have to really make sure I'm putting enough contrast down in the right places.
This is a 1/12 scale bust from Heroes & Villains Miniatures. It's my first mini larger than 32mm, and is both very fun (lots of detail) and frustrating (lots of detail). I'm beyond impressed with the casting quality. There were no bubbles at all, and I could barely even tell where the seam on the mold was, there was so little flash/lines. The face and skin are more or less completed, besides a few touch-ups around the edges. I wish I had gone with a much ruddier skintone; he's much too fair to have been out in the sun and salt all day, but it's too late now. Maybe he just got out of prison? I think the hair needs another highlight pass. I'm inclined to call the coat nearly done, though I'm not sure if I want to hit one more highlight or even brighten the shadows a tad. The frayed edges need to be finished, too. I went for a complimentary Forest Green shadow on the red part, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The blending across the back turned out nice too. The leather strap is a WIP, but you can see what I'm going for, and I'm thinking about doing the bandana as red gingham checks, or maybe just stripes. He has a hat,sword, and part of his bandanna as separate pieces, which I will attach last so they don't get in the way. I'm also saving the metals for the very end, and I'm not sure if I'm going to do TMM or NMM on those yet. There's also the possibility of a tattoo on one shoulder, though apparently Europeans (even sailors) did not know about tattoos yet at this point. (Excuse my fingers; I don't have him on a proper base yet.) Huge thanks as well to bailey03, his 54mm tutorial was invaluable. I'm happy to hear critique; I'd rather hear it now than once it's too late.