Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Bones 1 Kickstarter'.
Found 2 results
Maledrakh Colours In some Old Bones
Maledrakh posted a topic in Show Off: Paintingor, Contrast Paints vs Old Bones, continued. A while ago I painted an old Bones model in contrast paint, just to see how it would turn out. Actually, not too shabby was the answer. Now, the thing is that I have a couple of drawers full of minis that are undercoated all in white. These are mainly from the first Bones kickstarter and Drake the Dragon Wargame. (I don’t even remember why I used white primer. Maybe I was all out of black primer spray or something.) I have been rummaging a bit again, and been looking at these minis, to be reminded exactly why the old Bones 1 pc-type minis were consigned to the Drawers of Oblivion™ in the first place. Bendy. Soft. Shallow details. Faces without noses. Hands without fingers. Weapons made for poking around corners…, mould lines that are really diffucult to remove as they need to be carved off...and sometimes go through details. They were doomed to stay there in Limbo forever as I never considered those models to be worth spending time on. Well, I paint to relax. To get the sense of something done. I am not one of those that need every single mini to be the best they can be. That is for a very select few minis. But I do like to have my models painted and on the shelf and not just undercoated and hidden away in some dark drawer. Even the ones that do not capture my imagination. The Plan So, what I have done for now, is to assign ten of my mini holders (=old glass paint jars with a big lump of blue tack on the lid) to "Project Colouring In". This is a long term project where I select ten of the old white undercoated models, stick them on a mini holder each, and place these minis all over my painting desk. Every time I open a contrast paint, or even have some other paints left over on my palette, I will try to get some of it on to one or more of these models as well. What usually happens when I have semi-painted models cluttering up my work space is that over time I get sick of the sight of them and make an effort to finish the offending models. So the idea is to get the older models painted in addition to whatever I am actually wanting to paint, simply by nickeling and dimeing them like this. When one is done, I replace it on the mini holder with another of the old minis. In this way, I should ever so slowly manage to churn through the collection, if given enough time. Maybe this whole plan will go the way of the shelf game (which is, the way of the dodo) and the partially painted minis will just go back in the drawers. But maybe not...and the plan might just about work. We shall see. The key is to get some paint on the models and not be too fussy about anything. Laissez-faire! Sure, it's lazy painting, so what? These are models that would never get painted otherwise. (And they still look better than Mage Knight prepaints. Admittedly, that is mainly because I care enough to paint the eyes.) So anyway. I did three last week. Here are seven more: clicks gets youse pics
Hey all, Now that I've got my Kickstarter Bones, I decided to start a separate WIP thread to help motivate and inspire me, as well as share my discovery process, flubs, thoughts, mistakes, and accidental successes with everyone. I'm brand new to this whole painting miniatures business, so any and all comments and advice are most welcome! I'll try to be as detailed as I was with my first (and so far, only) mini WIP, since a lot of people seemed to appreciate that; however, with roughly 250 minis to paint, I may not have the time to be as thorough. Unless noted otherwise, all paints used are Reaper Master Series paints, and all minis will be Bones figures from the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter. For the record, my pledge included a single Vampire box and one There Be Dragons add-on. The rest of my pledge was paints and a figure case. I look forward to learning and growing along with the rest of you talented people! Index of WIP figures: 77015 Bugbear Warrior (non-KS) 77016 Rats (scattered across many posts, but this is the beginning) 77195 Mr. Bones (started here), finished here in my WIP thread; also 74021 1" Square Skull Bases, his base (non-Kickstarter metal) 77018 Skeleton Archer (1) (Group WIP) 77018 Skeleton Archer (2) (Group WIP) 77164 Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard (conversion) 80013 Nova Corp: Female 77136 Well of Chaos 77149 Damien, Hellborn Wizard 77040 Satheras, Male Warlock 77116 Colossal Skeleton 77016 Rats (single figure) (modified) and 74021 1" Square Skull Bases, its base (non-Kickstarter metal) 77039 Janan, Female Dragon Slayer 77001 Skeletal Spearmen (5 of them) 77017 Skeletal Swordsman (4 of them) 77017 Skeletal Swordsman (1 of them, separate project from the one listed above) 77149 Damien, Hellborn Wizard (conversion) (different project from the one mentioned above) 77073 Freja Fangbreaker 77034 Male High Wizard (separate thread) 77162 Yephima, Female Cloud Giant (separate thread) NOTE: Since I tend to have multiple minis in progress at a time, most of these do not have consecutive posts. The link will take you to the beginning of when I started working on each one, though. Huzzah! --OneBoot :D