Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Cavern Crawler'.
Hey all! Finished up the Behir, subject to fate, and wanted to show him off! (WIP here) And some close ups of his face: C&C Welcome! George Edited because I am taking some new pics with a real camera, under some good lighting... Close ups Much easier to see the real colors with the Ottlights and a good camera! George
So, I decided to challenge myself with my Cavern Crawler. I've been mulching through human figures, which I'll post in my Show-off thread in a little bit, but this guy I decided to do as a speed paint. I started him this evening, with the goal to get him to tabletop quality in under two hours. I think I succeeded; this is how he came out. Time from first paint applied to putting the brush down: 1 hour and 38 minutes: I only used seven colours painting this model: Linen White Oiled Leather Sun Yellow Walnut Brown Fire Orange Magma Red Violet Red Lots of drybrushing, lots of washes. Nothing on this one actually took that long - even the face was pretty quick, I just painted it various shades of Magma Red:Linen White, drybrushed it in a few areas with walnut brown, then detailed the mouth 1:1 Violet Red:Linen White and picked out the teeth and such with a panel brush. The back was Fire Orange drybrushed with Magma Red drybrushed with Walnut Brown, and the belly was 1:2:4 Oiled Leather:Sun Yellow:Linen White, washed with Oiled Leather. At the speed I was painting, I never put the figure down for the entirety of the time I was painting, but the paint dried fast enough that I didn't get much mixing/smearing. In the pictures, it's pretty easy to see the spots where I got dribbly during my washes, or where paint didn't reach. Still, holding it in hand, you don't notice any of them really, and it looks pretty excellent from a foot or so away. The face I'm really happy with, actually... With speed paints in the future, I think I would start by picking the lightest key colour, mixing up a whole bunch of it, and using a soft toothbrush to paint the whole figure in that color before I started basecoating. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about forcing paint into cracks. I did glue this figure before painting, so I would probably precolour at least that area; that way, I wouldn't have had to worry so much about those little legs later on... I think I'll revisit this one in a day or two to continue adding details and refining it. This was more an effort to see what I could do in a short amount of time; I like this figure, and I think with more effort, I could take it further. Still, for now I'm content; I wouldn't feel any shame in putting this onto the table, definitely. If any of you guys have suggestions, either speed painting ones or ideas on how to take this figure further, I'd love to hear them...