Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Hybrid'.
Call it a stretch, but how’s this for inspiration for magical hybrids? https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/06/narluga-very-strange-hybrid-whale/592057/ A mystery skull of a peculiar looking whale killed off Greenland in the 1980s has been identified after DNA testing as “narluga,” a narwhal-beluga hybrid. Narwhals have a singe large spiral tooth with two vestigial teeth behind it. Belugas have a large number of small, identical teeth. The mystery skull had a moderate number of medium-sized, varied teeth, some of which grew in spiral patterns. The Inuit hunter, Jens Larsen, who killed the whale and two others like it said the creatures were smooth grey, instead of the white of belugas or the mottled grey of narwhals. Technically a hybrid with a beluga father and narwhal mother should be called a “belwhal,” but the skull has been nicknamed “narluga” for almost thirty years and even scientists agree, it just sounds better.
Splitting this one off into his own thread, in order to reduce clutter in the original thread, and also because he won't be a random rainbow dragon anymore. An employee at a local gaming store introduced me to this model, and shortly after seeing it I pretty much decided I very much so wanted to get my paws on it... So I did! Thing is, I don't plan on doing him up in telltale metallic colours, but instead as more of a synthetic creature with a few mechanical elements. There will be a number of firsts for me with this project... First time drilling and pinning a mini First time painting and THEN assembling a mini Very well might be my first time I start sculpting in a few additional elements in order to have it fully fit my theme (one thought right now is making the engine look a lot more biological) First time removing parts to add back in later (front leg armour plates will block details on the legs, so will be temporarily removed and then added back on later) ^Right out of the box, I had an issue or two with his design. First and foremost, while those wings are indeed rather gorgeous, they go straight vertical, which bugs me, simply because they hide so much detail, not to mention I personally feel that if it's a mechanical dragon it would have been designed to at least fold up it's wings when they weren't in use. Secondly, it would have meant I would have to have another element that's painted and then assembled, and I'm more into assembly first, paint second. Third, all those various extra details along his spine would be pointless at most angles, since they'd be concealed by the gargantuan wings. ^So some clippers came out, a few snips and twenty minutes of sanding later, we have it so I can maneuver the wings, and make use of that obvious hinge... Add in a decent amount of blutak to hold it in place temporarily... ^And we now have a much more agreeable to me wingspan! There's a lot more that can be done with this in my eyes as well, as he could be about to take off, just landing, etc That was last week, and catching up from the previous thread. Now let's get onto the good stuff, aka where we're standing today! ^First and foremost, I drilled three pins total per wing... Two 1mm, and one 1.5mm. Three was probably overkill, but I wanted to be downright certain they'd stay in place. I also though they'd be easier to guide in, but boy was I wrong on that front! Took quite a while to get everything lined up how I wanted it. ^A bit of superglue later, and we have a cameo appearance from Citadel's Undercoat Black, a paint I used to be able to mark just where I was to drill along the inside of where the wing tabs were originally to go. ^Alternate angles showing off his current wingspan, as well as the gaps I'm going to get to fill, and maybe add some additional details into. We'll see what precisely happens, but I already have two different ideas dancing in my head about what to do there, with one being electrical wiring, cogs/gears, and various other things to play up on the mechanical side, while the other one is trying to go with the thought of some sort of liquid latex muscle structure. Second one is arguably riskier, but would definitely convey my idea a lot better.