Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Kieran Tallowmire'.
A little background on this speed paint. During a board game night my gaming group challenged me to speed paint this mini while playing five tribes and to make it a bit sweeter if I managed it and also won the game my DM said he would give us a level bonus. So I figured why not I washed him in some soap and water, dried him off and got to painting. To my surprise I did manage to win the game by about 35 points. Not to mention now our wizard will have a painted figure for his character. As I am participating in the Resolutionary Painting Challenge I decided to make a thread for him. Without further ado here is Kieran Tallowmire a fun bones mini with lots of detail. He has a little over 2 hours in him, although I easily could've spent much more to clean him up a bit and pick out more details. I am looking forward to picking up his upcoming metal release and taking my time painting him again.
I painted up 77034 Male High Wizard for the 2014 Summer figure exchange, and he's now happily living at Siri's place. :) WIP thread is here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/56488-77034-male-high-wizard-by-oneboot/ Lots of pictures incoming! This sculpt is just filled to bursting with personality, so many fun little details to paint! My favorite is the tiny lizards; the other one is just barely visible diving behind the skull in the 4th and 5th pictures. Huzzah! --OneBoot :D
Because of the rules change, I decided to give the new format a try, even though this figure would still work just fine in my consolidated WIP thread since it's from the Bones 1 KS. So! Without further ado, here is the WIP for the figure I painted up for the Summer 2014 Figure Exchange, 77034 Male High Wizard. Note: The figure is already out of my hands, so I guess you could call this a retroactive WIP, since it's actually already done. Second note: All paints used in this WIP are Reaper Master Series Paints. ~~~~~~~~~~~ My exchange partner was Sirithiliel, and she requested a humanoid, like a caster/ranger/warrior. As soon as I saw "caster," I instantly thought of this figure, because he's my favorite wizard figure ever. He's all twisty and cool, and there's so many fun little details on him! Plus he came pre-based, pretty much, so there was the added bonus that I wouldn't have to worry about basing him. Here he is with my usual "priming" step of a Brown Liner wash: Note that this only works on Bones figures that have been thoroughly scrubbed and well-rinsed. Otherwise it just beads up and goes all wonky and makes a huge mess. I couldn't find my usual photography background pictures ANYWHERE, so I tried printing one out on my regular printer. It...didn't work so well, but it gave the right light/color balance to the pictures, so I rolled with it. Trying to decide where to start was a bit tricky, since there's so much going on with this figure, but I decided to focus on practicing the "work from the inside out" method, since I tend to have problems getting paint on finished sections if I do it the other way. So, skin first! I also had to remind myself to basecoat in the shadow color, instead of basecoating in the base color and then having to work both up to the highlights and down to the shadows at the same time. It just gets messy when I try to do that. Here's the shadow coat of Tanned Skin. Then the base coat of Caucasian Skin over that, followed by highlights of Maiden Flesh. I was pretty happy with how this turned out, since I was able to use the Brown Liner wash as a substitute for blacklining here, as long as I was careful to stay away from the edges of things. I hadn't liked blacklining in the past, but after having seen so many amazing examples of it, and how it really makes a mini look sharp, I've decided to incorporate it into my painting. Next was the beard, where drybrushing wasn't as much my friend as I'd expected it would be, particularly for the mustache which didn't have nice deep lines carved into it like the beard. I tried to leave as much of the Brown Liner showing as possible, so I wouldn't have to try to add it back in later. Basecoated it in Aged Bone, followed by Polished Bone, then highlights of Linen White. Not too shabby, but I did still end up having to do some tidying up at a later point to deepen the shading on the left side of his face. Now for his robe! This is the part I'd been looking forward to the most, actually, because there's so many fun swooshy folds! Also, from the first I knew he was going to have amazing deep green robes, because that's my favorite color, and because it would look awesome. But first, I wanted to fiddle around with the color a bit and see if I could find a good way to shade it. First, I went through all of my dark greens (including several that I ordered just for this project) and painted a bit of each onto a piece of paper, before deciding on Mossy Green as my favorite. Then, remembering the advice I'd been given in my other thread, I wanted to try washing red into the shadows to make them look darker (or something to that effect). But I didn't want to experiment on the mini itself, so instead I utilized a goblin minion intern who unluckily happened to be standing nearby after being on the receiving end of the extra Brown Liner wash I'd had left over from the wizard. Two coats of Mossy Green followed by a quick wash of Red Shadow onto the bottom of the fold: Oh, hey, that looks kind of amazing. Okay, I'm totally doing that! Next post will be the robes, since those got a bit...complicated. Huzzah! --OneBoot :D