Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Maladrakar'.
So, I freaked out when I saw the green of Mal'adrakar... what... two years ago? I haven't been paining in several years for a few different reasons. For the last several years things have been up in the air, and I need to be in a certain 'head space' to calm down and put brush to paint for any considerable amount of time. I'm super glad that I've gotten the painting bug back in time to paint this one up. I did a LONG WIP post of Kyra and Lavarath many years ago, and I was hoping to followup with something similar. That one was a long weekend when I had the flu... This one I'm recovering from surgery, so I might be able to get some progress done over the next few weeks? I mean, it's a little bigger, so maybe a little progress? I think that base on Lavarath is a little deceiving... Lets try this: Okay... I'll admit it. I feel out of my depth here. This is one INTIMIDATING 'miniature'. It's bigger than anything I've ever painted... except for my garage, but that didn't have a lot of details. I know how I want to go... old school 'Tiamat' all the way... 5 heads, 5 colors... I really want to do some airbrushing on it, but I'm afraid to screw it up. My first step is priming it, and I'll be using colored primers.... I've got them, so why not, right? I primed the body in red, then test fit the heads and wings. I threw in the 6-sider for scale again because OMG this thing is HUGE. Now, I've been looking at pictures of Tiamat since I was a kid... yes, I watched the damn cartoon, and yes I'm THAT old. While looking for photo references my eye kept going back to this image: I especially liked the fade from black, to red, and out to the various heads. I wanted to recreate that! I decided to start early, and go for that 'fade' from the get go... with more colored primer. So, I wrapped up my primed miniature to minimize splatter and overspray, and went to town Then, I sprayed the heads... one green, one blue, one black... and the last one, I just washed with GM 'Nuln Oil'. And, that's roughly a weekends work. With drying time, multiple pieces and coats, and all the damn yard-work that got in the way, I think that I made some decent progress! I'll update this thread as I make more progress. This is going to be a LONG one, ya'll!