Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Maul'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Reaper Discussion
    • News
    • Reaper General & Faq's
    • Reaper's Product Lines
    • ReaperCon
    • Reaper Virtual Expo
  • Reaper Social
    • Exchanges and Contests
    • Birthdays!
    • Socializing
  • Painting
    • Show Off: Painting
    • Works in Progress: Painting
    • Tips & Advice: Painting
    • Shutterbug
    • Speed / Army / Tabletop Techniques
  • Sculpting, Conversion, and Terrain
    • Show off: Sculpts, Conversion, Terrain.
    • Works in Progress: Sculpts, Conversion, Terrain.
    • Tips and Advice: Sculpting
    • Tips and Advice: Conversion
    • Tips and Advice: Terrain
    • Tips and Advice: 3-D printing
    • Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain
  • General Discussion
    • General Fantasy
    • General Sci-Fi
    • General Modern / Historical
    • Kickstarter
    • Off-Topic Rampancy
  • The Sandbox
    • The Gathering
    • The Playing
    • Fiction, Poetry, and Other Abuses
  • Reaper Games
    • Dungeon Dwellers RPG
    • CAV
    • Warlord

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL







Found 4 results

  1. I painted this late last year and posted him up on the Facebook page. This is the updated image using my new camera/backdrop setup. Please enjoy. As usual C&c always wellcomed.
  2. I painted this late last year and posted him up on the Facebook page. This is the updated image using my new camera/backdrop setup. Please enjoy. As usual C&c always wellcomed.
  3. Mighty Grum from Red Box Games. A really cool mini I finished while working through my huge backlog of RBG minis. He's quite small so I didn't bother (or rather I can't do it) with the eyes. I'm happy with how the skin and his fur coat (although it seems abit dull in the photo) worked out.
  4. A buddy of mine decided to get into painting miniatures and checked with me about it. He wasn't sure what to get and since I have over 500 miniatures I said I'll send you ten or so miniatures. He spent a whole week going on about it. I showed him the Bones listings on Reaper's Store and then he asked for a minotaur to represent a character of his so I bought him the Reaper Bones Minotaur. He wanted the minotaur to have a maul. With no real thought put forth, I figured, I could make a maul and put it in the minotaur's hand(s). I pulled out my minotaur and looked him over... Two weapons to one two-handed weapon. Piece of cake. I pulled out some Sculpey clay and made the very simple maul head and baked it. I dragged some tools over it to carve out some raised wood grain and dug out a split in the wood in the front of the maul head. I wanted it to look used. I then spent some time thinking about how to brace a maul head for use as a weapon and decided on a sort of t-strap for it. I drew this just now to illustrate... Here's the initial pieces I assembled and the results after I removed the axe and the cleaver. I put a heavy flower wire through his hands. Which required that I pop his left arm free. That maul head is about as basic as it gets before sanding and "carving." Then after drilling a hole through the maul head I created the wood grain and dry fit it all for a look at how he's holding it. The old axe handle is at the end of the haft for the maul but I wasn't sure I would keep it or if it was too long. There's a major split in the head from whacking some tough critter hides. But I still had a lot of detail to add to the maul head and I needed to wrap the haft with green stuff to make it more hefty. First Strap with a knurl pattern. Second strap around the back of the maul head. It's a bit damaged from big back swings. A little sanding on the wire allowed easy application of green stuff and the creation of a spike at the end. Sanding and more sanding on the haft and the head got even better results. So I then pushed to add the wood flaring from getting beat up and adding the decorative pieces over the weld points on the maul head straps. Some proper photos taken in the studio: A little more sanding took place after the photos above. Mainly on the maul head but a little more on the handle. The next step will be to add some ballast to the base to match the integral base and prime it for my buddy before shipping it all to Iowa. Really the primer step isn't necessary except for my own sake. I just want to see if I need to clean anything up. A fun project since I created the maul from scratch and got to try some techniques out.
  • Create New...