Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Miscellany'.
Being the timid fellow that I am, I wanted to be fairly sure that I had a chance of finishing a Minivember challenge before I announced it publicly. I enter miniatures into my painting log when the final basing and varnish coat are complete, and the “whatever” is ready for play. I’ve recently resolved to relax and not worry too much about where the Muse(s) lead, as long as I’m getting something done. So all plans are subject to change. That said, I’ve had two things on my mind recently. The first is that I was in a Rangers of Shadowdeep game at Barrage, our local miniatures gaming convention, back in September, and decided that it was time to try to get it on the table. For fun, I decided that I would fill out my small (1/72) plastic fantasy collection for this. I looked over the book, and found this was what was called for: I got a good start on this on a business trip last month. I am also working toward “finishing” the army lists I’ve drawn up for my Portable Fantasy campaign: But exactly what I’m going to end up painting is a bit unpredictable. As posted in the November Speed/Army/Tabletop goals thread, I’ve also got some vintage Broadsword Miniatures Rangers to round out a unit, and the much-deferred Goblin Carolers for my Winterfeast village. There are also orcs for the campaign mass battle, some human cavalry, some historical Bronze Age Nubians and some additional giant war trolls. I’ve already finished a couple of medieval(oid) human horse archers. (English and other mounted bowmen did not generally shoot from horseback, so these guys, Strelets plastics I’ve had sitting around since 2005 or so, are probably more at home in a fantasy setting anyway.) I also finished the zombies (plus a couple of smaller Reraper Bones 5 monsters): These were knocked out pretty rapidly with washes and drybrushing, with a deliberate choice to keep them subdued and semi-monochromatic. I doubt zombies spend much time on hygiene… For the trolls needed for Rangers, I had planned to use the Bones 1 (SKU 77159) Ghast. As a 1/72 scale figure, they end up being 8 or so feet tall, so look more to me like something a human might stand a chance of fighting than something like a Dark Alliance 12 foot tall War Troll. But, yesterday was apparently Trollfest, and I finished up the three troll/ghasts, a Dark Alliance War troll, and a Caesar Miniatures “something” from their currently-out-of-production “Adventurers” set. They are shown here with a Strelets medieval city militiaman from last month, for scale: That’s 18 figures down, so at least 12 to go. I’m on vacation with no particular plans this week, and I’m also off the week of Thanksgiving, so that should be achievable.
Hi everyone, I'm going to try the WIP thing to keep me motivated, and to help me improve on a few things. Most of these are mid-process, or very lightly started. I have a specific way I paint, and I really only photograph about once a week. So, without further adieu, here begins my wip. First up, we have The Bones Gnoll, about 2/3 of the way through how I paint, but there are several areas to improve upon. My intent is to give a more rusted look to the metallics, and to bring up the leather straps. In person, I'm happy with the upper fur, with the feet needing improvement (and the leg wraps and flail wraps). Eyes are going to be something fun. Next up we have Vanja, Fire Giant Princess, the metal version (the bones version will be more traditionally coal-black with red highlights). This is a very early stage wip of her for me. I'm starting with skin tones, bringing them up to Vallejo Pale Flesh. Next we have the Bones Darkrasp, Death Priest. I've started an attempt at OSL with him, and would very much like suggestions on this. I really like how the scythe is coming, but the robes leave a LOT to be desired. The cloak looks like a burlap/linen (which was my intent with all the drybrushing) and I'm happy with it overall, including the OSL effects on the hood. Finally, we have my 2-year-old's wip of the bones Unicorn