Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Mostly Monochrome'.
I got this to be my first bust to paint, sourced from Figone. CMPA had the "Bust a Move" challenge, so I finally painted him up. Yep, first bust! Next time I'll try a human or humanoid. Mounting him was kinda a nuisance, but I did something basic. He has a magnet on his back, and I greenstuffed a magnet to a nail. I can change the base later if I want. He's the first of my limited palette challenges, and I used blue because blue is a pretty easy one and I thought he'd do well with it. I smooth blended the face, and semi-smooth blended the mane, and went back for fur texture with a tone just one or two steps off of the layer beneath it. I imagined him as a lion day dreaming of a fantasy world, and a bit whimsical. Eyes: NMM Gold Triad (Shadow, Base, Highlight), Dragon White, Pure Black, S75 Tindalos Red. The Majority of Stuff: Pure White, Ghost White, Morning After Blues, Sky Blue, Dragon Blue (base fur color), Midnight Blue, Nightmare Black, Vallejo Game Color Black Ink.
More small stuff from when I was ill. I decided to continue my Mostly Monochrome style challenge, but this guy is tiny. He has green and red eyes, but otherwise is an exercise in Violet. I didn't write those paints down sadly, but I think Icy Violet was one, and perhaps something like Violet Shadow...? And I used blue washes. It was fun trying to force the contrast on this one with limited colors. Anyway, tada!
I've had these little buggers in my collection for a long time now, and I had an occasion to paint them up. However, when I actually looked at them closely, I discovered that these were both the worst incidents of mold slippage I've ever seen, and also hideous sculpts. They're cute, but hot-broccoli these are not Reaper's best. They're asymmetric: ridges of scales existing on one side that aren't on the other, the eyes are completely different on either side of the head, the back ridge is either a victim of mold slippage or badly planned (I think both). Different regions are often poorly defined. The mold slippage ran all the way down the center of Cheeto, at least a full millimeter slip - seen mostly on his tail, back ridge, and the base. His face was less effected, thank goodness. I think the tail may have had more than a millimeter. I attempted to file some, gloss-resin-blob other parts, and hide it with paint or grass tufts. Mountain Dew was bad, but not as bad. Except for Mountain Dew's wings, these are one piece - reaching the bellies and insides of their legs with a brush is miserable. They needed to be a single piece. And.... then I took a challenge. I decided to use a limited palette on these guys. I am unofficially dubbing this style "mostly monochrome". It isn't just X-Color + White (or Black & White), but a spectrum of paint within a hue, and potentially a little bit of flair (see the eyes). I did blue well.... so I went with other colors on these guys. Some parts veer a bit reddish, or blueish.... but that's okay. I'll refine the style on another figure. But geebus did I miss using purple and blue to shade!!! Cheeto is orange. I gave him mostly green eyes to match Mountain Dew, and then tried to keep him orange. Limited palette listed... Eyes: Linen White, Peacock Green, Marigold Yellow, Coal Black, Pure White, Vallejo Game Color Green Ink. Dragon: Pure White, Linen White, Marigold Yellow, Sunrise Orange (Base), Orange Brown, Rust Brown, Blackened Brown. Base: Pale Olive, Muddy Olive. Oranges have hideous coverage. Even the HD Sunrise Orange. ACK! That was.... painful. Okay, Mountain Dew, the green sibling. Some of the greens have poor coverage, but not all. Eyes: Linen White, Marigold Yellow, Dragon White, Viper Green, Peacock Green, Coal Black, S75 Tiamat Orange. Dragon: Dragon White, Linen White, Maggot White, Cat's Eye Green, Viper Green, Brilliant Green, Peacock Green, Coal Black. Mouth (hard to make look good in greens, I thought): Gothic Crimson, The Army Painter Mutant Hue. Base: The Army Painter Army Green, Reaper Shadow Green, Linen White, S75 Intense Wood. Alright, so the results of my Mostly Monochrome experiments on bad sculpts/bad molds.....