Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'cliffs'.
Found 1 result
About twenty years or so ago a game came out that I fell in love with, a game that touched my inner Ork and spoke to me in a nice simple language that I could easily understand. A game of Orks and vehicles, white knuckle speed and vicious combat, mutants and huge explosions all set in an arid desert wasteland. What's not to love, right!?!? That game is GORKAMORKA! Anyway, my son, who is younger than the game by a few months, recently watched a few videos of the game on the mwg youtube channel and decided "Hey Dad, we should play a Gorkamorka campaign." "We have no terrain or vehicles for the game anymore." I said calmly, trying to hide my interest and excitement thinking this would just make the subject go away because even though I love the game, this immediately raised a red flag of me building a ton of terrain and vehicles while everyone else just got to play in the end. "We would literally have to build everything we needed. So unless you are going to help with every single step along the way, its not happening." I figured that would be the end of it because he is not a big fan of the building process, just the playing process. There was a VERY brief moment of silence and then, "Okay....what would we have to do?" We sat down that night with the books, looked at game pics and desert pics on the web, watched some of the videos on youtube from the mwg guys and made a list of scenery that we would need to play the game. Flash forward about two weeks to two days ago when we find ourselves in one of the local home improvement stores and end up coming home with most of what we need as far as the main supplies go. Two 2' x 4' x 1/4" sheets of mdf and one 4' x 8' x 1" sheet of insulation foam. That night we laid out the rough ideas we had for the two cliff faces, this took quite a while actually as I kept going back and forth between depth of protrusion onto the board and playability. I wanted them to not take up too much room but still have enough space on top to maneuver small and medium vehicles while larger ones may only be able to go in a straight line. Each cliff also needed a single ramp for vehicle access. The following day we sketched out the bases for the rest of the larger terrain pieces. I had to remind him that we didn't want to waste the material so we needed to cram as much as we can onto each board. Today we were both off so we decided to spend it working on terrain. First thing we needed to do was to cut out all the bases. An extra piece of mdf from an old project was also turned into a dune. Next we laid out all the bases onto the foam and traced all the shapes, making sure we had enough space to get everything on took some rearranging but we managed it. By a very huge bit of dumb luck when I scored the sheet of foam and broke it in two, so we could get it in the van and home, I made one piece slightly larger than the other. While at the time I was a little bit upset at myself for not bringing a tape measure, this ended up working perfectly. I am not sure had it ended up in exactly half that we would have been able to get everything on the two sheets half sheets. We then cut out all the foam shapes and laid them out onto their respective bases to see what we ended up with. And the extra dune. The space shown is a 4' x 4' chunk of the game table, I think we did pretty good on not wasting the mdf. The bases without foam are not getting a full level, just a small ring around the edge and will represent the tar pits, mine and chem pool. The dunes were all attached to their bases with liquid nails, weighed down and left to dry for the night. That's where we are now, not too bad for one day really. We both had fun and he is already talking about getting a trukk and chopping it up to make it into a lower riding trukk to run over my grots...because I guess that is what I am playing again...probably, I like the little underdogs.