Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'darkdepths'.
I wasn't originally going to do a WIP for these. I've taken so many pictures and just junked them, and it's not like I'm a competition-level painter. I always feel like a kid wearing Dad's shoes when I do a WIP--just going around pretending to be of a level that I'm simply "not." Still, I need to keep some notes somewhere. So here we go... Merfolk Rangers: I have finally gotten the blue to where I want it. I started off with Ritterlich Blue, but that was too dark, it kept reading as black when I would take pictures. I finally resolved to starting with Brilliant Blue. I gave it a heavy drybrush with Cyan Blue, and then I bumped up the Cyan Blue with a bit of Sky Blue (2:1 or 3:1). Now it finally looks "Blue" and not "Black". I'll be adding some black details later, so it's important that there is enough contrast to be visible. I feel like I started the skin off too dark. Those dark lines are all that I can see, now. I'm starting the fins with Sun Yellow. I'll be putting some Pure Black (or super dark blue) edges on the fins as well as a stripe and loop design down the side. I still don't know what I'm doing with these two. Those greens will not stay, they're just not working for me. Not even a little bit. Such a dark brown, made from a 3:2 mix of Red Shadow to Green Black (or was it Black Green?). I'll be bringing that up a bit with some reddish browns. Then I've got some orange and white details to do on the bodies and fins. And I need to figure out where I'm going with the flesh on the female guard. The male guard is going with some Olive Skin triad. The crest is the Gory Red triad, and the armor is done with the golds. I just need to put the top layers on. I didn't actually paint a tank top on the redhead. There is such a dramatic difference between tail lengths. The tails started off with straight Moth Green. I mixed 1:1 with Maggot White, and then drybrushed straight Maggot White. Pure Black for the stripes. I'll probably do some more work on those stripes for some depth. They should probably be widened a bit, too. The ginger started off with Carrottop Red and Highlight Orange. I used Saffron Sunset for the final drybrush. The black hair is just Pure Black and given a little bit of a drybrush with the same Red Shadow/Black Green mix on the Guards' tails. Her shells were done with the Bone Colors triad.