Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'dollar store'.
I've had a lot of time to think and plan what my next project would be after finally finishing my Robotech Tactics box. Having chosen my next project quite awhile ago however I've opted instead to do something else entirely at the very last minute. As a palate cleanser (because I really need something to help me forget that Robotech box) and for a quick hobby win I'm going to build and paint some Gaslands cars. This idea really came about simply because I had hit yet another wall with my last project just as I was about to finish. Wanting something different I spur of the moment bought a three pack of cars at the dollar store. Knowing I had plenty of bits at home I thought a few Gaslands cars would make for a fun simple project. Turns out I was right too. In the space of a normal painting session I had found all the necessary bits and glued them on too. For a little extra challenge I even ignored all my GW and typical tabletop bits for dollar store Final Faction pieces. Luckily I got a nice day recently, so I was able to prime them. Which of course brings us to tonight, in roughly one session I've almost finished the first car. It still needs more "dirtying" up but its getting there. The second car was also started. I'm still thinking about a color scheme for this one. I'm mostly sticking to their original color schemes with just a bit of tweaking but with this one I'm thinking about doing something different.
From this tip I decided to make some cages since I'm running A1 then possibly A2. I went with smaller rollers to make the cages, just under an 1" wide so a good number can be used on tabletop. Made 2 normal height, 8 dwarf height and 8 heroic (lack of) scale height. Had some game counters (some sort of 18.5mm tiddlywink) that fit the rollers perfectly. Painted them black and glued those into place. Mixed some metal paints together in varying amounts and drybrushed. FInished with a light drybrushing of browns / reds to make them look like they belong in some undercity sewer turned slave storage chamber. My slavers sure are not going to be giving their slaves a 10x10 cage apiece!
Picked up a couple of $1 tiggers at a local dollar store. Don't judge me. We all have our habits that we don't discuss with Mom or potential employers. Did a little work. A couple of the mold lines grew back during drybrushing. But it's good enough for set dressing.