Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'milliput'.
Alright I want to see what everyone's working on base-wise, even if it's some simple, basic (ha! see what I did there?) stuff. Let's share the bases we are working on. First, I'll show you a couple of the ones I did recently. This was nothing special but one of my first attempts at sculpting any kind of base. Attempted to be some sort of stone/cobblestone street. Just some flattened out milliput then with one of my little clay tools carved in the stones. After it dried, filled it with some white glue and some GF9 grass. Next, I was trying to make some appropriate bases for the cultists I'm currently working on. After finishing all four of these, I decided they weren't "evil" enough and am trying other options. Also, it took me about 3 different iterations of various peoples marble tutorials to get anywhere with painting marble. Not sure if links are okay, but you can search for centerpiece miniatures painting marble bases. I translated the colors they used from citadel to the MSP and am fairly pleased. These were certainly a lot more realistic and a lot more consistent than the multiple attempts at marble I had made prior. Of course, now I have no one to put them on, but I'm sure something will come up. I also struggled to find the appropriate coating for them. Initially a tried a gloss coat thinking it would make it look like a nice shiny marble floor but the coating still dried 'too thin' as in it didn't seem to have the depth I wanted, and also just crazy shiny instead of looking polished. So then I sprayed them with testors and that's why they look all flat now. Alright, now your turn! Show me what you're working on!
Well I decided it was high time to get some bases sculpted. It was a nice simple start for some modelling with either green stuff or milliput. First off I made 10 bases, I wanted them to look like tram tracks to make them suitable for Victorian or Steampunk models. I made 4 with Milliput and 6 using green stuff. This is a picture post modelling with my son trying to reclaim his duplo. I did the mistake of using foam board and had a bit of pain getting the paper off. Finally here is a picture of the painted models. Comments welcome. I used these moulds to cast my first resin models. So it's been a nice learning curve.
Okay! I guess this is my first official sculpt! It's not a person, but it's a tree, and I'm happy with my first attempt. For the next go round (if I need another live oak) I'll use a heavier gauge wire to get more windiness in the branches. I wanted them a bit more crooked, but I think the lighter gauge and my inexperience ended up in a flat crown. Anyhoo, the sculpting portion is over and now all that's left is to prep (lots of flakies need to come off), prime, paint, and figure out how to stick foliage on here... To avoid redundancy (ahem) I'm posting a link to the project this tree is for. It has more detail on the tree (and pics!) and other parts than is necessary for this post. You can see that project here.