Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'nothic'.
I enjoy painting, but I've always been hesitant to convert mini's into something new. The whole green stuff sculpting thing is not in my wheel house. My kids want me to take them on a D&D adventure and I needed (wanted) a Nothic figure. There seems to be a lack of good figures available, so I decided to make my own. I started with the Reaper 77028 Gargoyle in plastic. I liked the pose and the shape of the figure. (side note, the plastic is really soft, great for cutting but the wings were twisted out of the package and I don't know how I would fix that if I was using the mini as a winged gargoyle). To convert the figure, I kept it real simple (sorry for the bad lighting on pics) Took Reaper 77028 Gargoyle out of the package. Clipped the wings. Cut off the eyes. Drilled and pinned the back and face Did my green stuff sculpting. took about five tries with the eye and I still don't like it let the green stuff dry and did some shaping with knife, files, and spruce nippers Finished with part I like best, painting. This turned out to be pretty fun and not as difficult as I thought. This is not a "How To" post, it's more of a "You Can Do It" post For $5 in material (including figure) and a couple hours over three days - I have a Nothic Anyone out there hesitant to try - just go for it
Here is a conversion I did using a Bones Ghast. I like to use Nothics as spies, infiltrators and recurring villains in my DND game. I used copper wire as a starting point for spiky prominences on his back, added some spikes on his elbows and lastly, sculpted a central eye to cover the top of the ghast's face. I'm happy with the result, despite having to use painting skills to cover up the sub-par sculpting skills.
I'm running the D&D 5e starter set for my friends, and in the absence of a proper nothic miniature from any manufacturer that I could find (DDM prepainted minis don't count :P) I decided to make my own. This is my first attempt at doing a conversion with green stuff. The tiik model had the right posture and it's appendages looked like they didn't need any work. It just screamed "easy conversion!" so I went for it. Obviously my sculpting skills are pretty rudimentary, but I think I did a convincing enough job. The paint job was actually a little rushed, too, as I didn't finish him until the night before I needed him for the game. Anyhow, thanks for looking.