Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'scratch-built'.
I haven't been at the painting desk very much lately. This was largely due to winter preparations that I'd gotten behind on. At the end of a long the day it was less taxing to simply watch a movie or even read a bit instead. Add to that a bit of project fatigue and what should have been a short break turned into a long one. Tonight however I finally got back to the desk by starting a new project. Quite awhile ago I came up with a basic idea for a small diorama that I'd give to my wife this year. This isn't meant to be the main gift by any means (I'll still find something more traditional as well) but I thought this would be right up her alley. Simply put this will be a D&D esque recreation of my proposal. Thanks in part to over buying and spotting a certain miniature during the last Box of Goodwill I even had the perfect miniatures. I spent tonight building up the diorama's base and test fitting models. The actual building seemed to go by quite quickly, I certainly didn't expect to be this far already. Though everything still needs painted seeing it like this only reaffirms my belief that the wife will love it. Something simple to put on a shelf or on her work desk to remind her of our years and adventures together, afterall our weekly D&D game was a big part of our early relationship.
My D&D group needed a pulverizer mini, so I made one. WIP is over at http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77983-pulverizer/ There are a couple areas I'm not really happy about, but I learned a lot, and am very happy with the overall result. Areas I'd try to do better in the future: Original sculpt - less-blobby joins to the shoulders, have legs sculpted, crisper runes Casting - fewer bubbles, better coating on the release, dye the material Paint - better coverage on the base coat, verdegris, better leg rust, better compatibility between the different paints and casting material Maybe add a tiny LED? Things I like about how this turned out: - Overall shape goes well with "punchy sound-cannon" motif - Runes look pretty good - No fin (it's supposed to have one, I like it without) - Transparent effect inside (though it could be improved...) - Rust to emphasize "hand" shape More pics: Sir Forescale was MIA, so here's an orky substitute:
Just finished a small terrain element for my Frostgrave campaign (plus I'll can use it in Broken Legions games that hopefully I'll be ready to play soon). It's scratch-built, made out of insulation foam. As simple and quick construction as is, I'm pretty pleased with the result :) More pics on my blog: gabbigames.wordpress.com
Finally got back to doing conventions this weekend, with CelestiCon in Fremont, CA. Here's a glimpse at some stuff we had on the table. Most of what we had this weekend was scratch-built, or kit-scratched, which is I guess what you would call it when you borrow one piece from a model (like a GW crater) and scratch build on top of it. Not quite a kitbash. But anyway, most of it was just made by hand.